Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Burroughs L700 with work station

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009

      > > > You've probably seen my van, but that's not big enough to move it. Do
      we
      > > went to just rent a truck?
      > >
      > > We'd need a serious truck with a lift, etc. We'd have to rent that. We
      > > are also going to have to disassemble the work station and carry it up
      > > flight of stairs. This is going to require some power tools, etc. I
      will
      > > have to corregraph a plan, etc.

      I guess if we disassemble it enough to get up the stairs, we won't need a
      lift. I have no idea how they got the thing down there!
      Bill
    • evan@snarc.net
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
        >>> The work station is similar to the 82 unit, but it's 12 years older tech.

        Okay. In that case we can just swap them. But it will require more re-arranging in that room. :)
      • Joe Giliberti
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
          die die die die die

          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
            Okay man. It's your project ... just please shop long and wide for the best deal on a truck.

            I * might * have someone at Infoage who can help us though. Would a low trailer with a ramp and tarp be okay? That's how we got the IBM 082 card sorter here from Cherry Hill.

            > You've probably seen my van, but that's not big enough to move it. Do we
            went to just rent a truck?

            We'd need a serious truck with a lift, etc. We'd have to rent that. We
            are also going to have to disassemble the work station and carry it up a

            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
              I will try to find the best way to do this.
              Bill

              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
                Fear not!

                Here is the plan for the L7000.

                First, since most MARCHins haven't yet seen the minicomputer room, it
                looks (more or less) like this:

                http://snarc.net/mini.jpg

                The systems are arranged chronologically (counterclockwise) from the
                upper right corner:

                DEC PDP-8 - 1965
                Data General Nova - 1969
                DEC PDP-11/20 - 1970
                IBM System/34 - 1978
                Perkin-Elmer 3xxx (I always forget the model number) - 1979
                Burroughs B-80 - 1982

                Right now the System/34 is represented by an empty space. So, after
                VCF, we'll put the L7000 there, and we'll put the System/34 where the
                B-80 currently sits. If we have to sacrifice the P-E from this exhibit,
                so be it. But first we'll try to put the '34 along the wall (where the
                actual 'B-80' letters are in the drawing) and the P-E along the side wall.

                So, rearranging this room will actually be fairly simple.

                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 2, 2009
                  Bill and all,

                  This is sounding like a pretty large effort. Should we let this one go
                  and look for something similar from an East coast manufacturer? I'm just
                  asking for a sanity check now that we are past the knee-jerk. Yes, this
                  is a worthy machine. Can we afford the cost of this rescue? Renting the
                  truck sounds like $300+.

                  Jim

                • evan@snarc.net
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 2, 2009
                    We'll get transportation free from various Infoage people. A totally worthwhile rescue.

                    Bill Degnan wrote:

                    > > You've probably seen my van, but that's not big enough to move it.
                    > Do we
                    > went to just rent a truck?
                    >
                    > We'd need a serious truck with a lift, etc. We'd have to rent that. We
                    > are also going to have to disassemble the work station and carry it up a
                    > flight of stairs. This is going to require some power tools, etc. I will
                    > have to corregraph a plan, etc.
                    >
                    > Bill

                  • Dan Roganti
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 22, 2009

                      B Degnan wrote:
                      does MARCH want a Burroughts L7000 minicomputer (1971)?  It comes with a
                      work station that reads cards, etc.  It's very dusty, but it's complete,
                      and would take up an entire wall in the minicomputer exhibit room.    I
                      can be cleaned and should be in a museum.    It's kind of like the L5000
                      and L9000 I have read, but there are no pics on the web.

                      I dug up this document recently while searching for other things online and I noticed it mentions about this machine among others. It has quite a comprehensive look at the comparisons between the various business computers of the day. It also has a good amount of technical info which would help towards documenting this exhibit once you have the machine relocated to Infoage.

                      Auerbach Guide to Small Business Computers ,1972, 156pgs
                      http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/files/vintage/docs/Auerbach1972.pdf

                      =Dan

                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 22, 2009

                        > I dug up this document recently while searching for other things
                        > online and I noticed it mentions about this machine among others. It
                        > has quite a comprehensive look at the comparisons between the various
                        > business computers of the day. It also has a good amount of technical
                        > info which would help towards documenting this exhibit once you have
                        > the machine relocated to Infoage.
                        >
                        > Auerbach Guide to Small Business Computers ,1972, 156pgs
                        > http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/files/vintage/docs/Auerbach1972.pdf
                        >

                        > =Dan
                        Thanks Dan.
                      • evan@snarc.net