Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Burroughs L700 with work station

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
      Does Nels at Infoage have anything we could use as far as a truck with a lift?

      Joe

      On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Bill Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

      > You've probably seen my van, but that's not big enough to move it. Do we
      went to just rent a truck?

      We'd need a serious truck with a lift, etc. We'd have to rent that. We
      are also going to have to disassemble the work station and carry it up a
      flight of stairs. This is going to require some power tools, etc. I will
      have to corregraph a plan, etc.

      Bill

    • Bill Degnan
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009

        > > > You've probably seen my van, but that's not big enough to move it. Do
        we
        > > went to just rent a truck?
        > >
        > > We'd need a serious truck with a lift, etc. We'd have to rent that. We
        > > are also going to have to disassemble the work station and carry it up
        > > flight of stairs. This is going to require some power tools, etc. I
        will
        > > have to corregraph a plan, etc.

        I guess if we disassemble it enough to get up the stairs, we won't need a
        lift. I have no idea how they got the thing down there!
        Bill
      • evan@snarc.net
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
          >>> The work station is similar to the 82 unit, but it's 12 years older tech.

          Okay. In that case we can just swap them. But it will require more re-arranging in that room. :)
        • Joe Giliberti
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
            die die die die die

            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
              Okay man. It's your project ... just please shop long and wide for the best deal on a truck.

              I * might * have someone at Infoage who can help us though. Would a low trailer with a ramp and tarp be okay? That's how we got the IBM 082 card sorter here from Cherry Hill.

              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
                I will try to find the best way to do this.
                Bill

                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
                  Fear not!

                  Here is the plan for the L7000.

                  First, since most MARCHins haven't yet seen the minicomputer room, it
                  looks (more or less) like this:

                  http://snarc.net/mini.jpg

                  The systems are arranged chronologically (counterclockwise) from the
                  upper right corner:

                  DEC PDP-8 - 1965
                  Data General Nova - 1969
                  DEC PDP-11/20 - 1970
                  IBM System/34 - 1978
                  Perkin-Elmer 3xxx (I always forget the model number) - 1979
                  Burroughs B-80 - 1982

                  Right now the System/34 is represented by an empty space. So, after
                  VCF, we'll put the L7000 there, and we'll put the System/34 where the
                  B-80 currently sits. If we have to sacrifice the P-E from this exhibit,
                  so be it. But first we'll try to put the '34 along the wall (where the
                  actual 'B-80' letters are in the drawing) and the P-E along the side wall.

                  So, rearranging this room will actually be fairly simple.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 2 10:46 AM
                    Bill and all,

                    This is sounding like a pretty large effort. Should we let this one go
                    and look for something similar from an East coast manufacturer? I'm just
                    asking for a sanity check now that we are past the knee-jerk. Yes, this
                    is a worthy machine. Can we afford the cost of this rescue? Renting the
                    truck sounds like $300+.

                    Jim

                  • evan@snarc.net
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 2 10:55 AM
                      We'll get transportation free from various Infoage people. A totally worthwhile rescue.

                      Bill Degnan wrote:

                      > > You've probably seen my van, but that's not big enough to move it.
                      > Do we
                      > went to just rent a truck?
                      >
                      > We'd need a serious truck with a lift, etc. We'd have to rent that. We
                      > are also going to have to disassemble the work station and carry it up a
                      > flight of stairs. This is going to require some power tools, etc. I will
                      > have to corregraph a plan, etc.
                      >
                      > Bill

                    • Dan Roganti
                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 22 9:15 AM

                        B Degnan wrote:
                        does MARCH want a Burroughts L7000 minicomputer (1971)?  It comes with a
                        work station that reads cards, etc.  It's very dusty, but it's complete,
                        and would take up an entire wall in the minicomputer exhibit room.    I
                        can be cleaned and should be in a museum.    It's kind of like the L5000
                        and L9000 I have read, but there are no pics on the web.

                        I dug up this document recently while searching for other things online and I noticed it mentions about this machine among others. It has quite a comprehensive look at the comparisons between the various business computers of the day. It also has a good amount of technical info which would help towards documenting this exhibit once you have the machine relocated to Infoage.

                        Auerbach Guide to Small Business Computers ,1972, 156pgs
                        http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/files/vintage/docs/Auerbach1972.pdf

                        =Dan

                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 22 10:04 AM

                          > I dug up this document recently while searching for other things
                          > online and I noticed it mentions about this machine among others. It
                          > has quite a comprehensive look at the comparisons between the various
                          > business computers of the day. It also has a good amount of technical
                          > info which would help towards documenting this exhibit once you have
                          > the machine relocated to Infoage.
                          >
                          > Auerbach Guide to Small Business Computers ,1972, 156pgs
                          > http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/files/vintage/docs/Auerbach1972.pdf
                          >

                          > =Dan
                          Thanks Dan.
                        • evan@snarc.net