Re: Burroughs L700 with work station

  • Brian Cirulnick
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009

      Sorry, I've been buried under work, just catching up on messages...

      I can only speak for myself, but, if it's say... early or middle of October (Warning, I have a car show scheduled for Oct 11th), I can probably come down and lend a hand moving the beast.

      You've probably seen my van, but that's not big enough to move it. Do we went to just rent a truck?
    • Bill Degnan
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009

        > You've probably seen my van, but that's not big enough to move it. Do we
        went to just rent a truck?

        We'd need a serious truck with a lift, etc. We'd have to rent that. We
        are also going to have to disassemble the work station and carry it up a
        flight of stairs. This is going to require some power tools, etc. I will
        have to corregraph a plan, etc.

        Bill
      • Joe Giliberti
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
          Does Nels at Infoage have anything we could use as far as a truck with a lift?

          Joe

          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009

            > > > You've probably seen my van, but that's not big enough to move it. Do
            we
            > > went to just rent a truck?
            > >
            > > We'd need a serious truck with a lift, etc. We'd have to rent that. We
            > > are also going to have to disassemble the work station and carry it up
            > > flight of stairs. This is going to require some power tools, etc. I
            will
            > > have to corregraph a plan, etc.

            I guess if we disassemble it enough to get up the stairs, we won't need a
            lift. I have no idea how they got the thing down there!
            Bill
          • evan@snarc.net
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
              >>> The work station is similar to the 82 unit, but it's 12 years older tech.

              Okay. In that case we can just swap them. But it will require more re-arranging in that room. :)
            • Joe Giliberti
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
                die die die die die

                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
                  Okay man. It's your project ... just please shop long and wide for the best deal on a truck.

                  I * might * have someone at Infoage who can help us though. Would a low trailer with a ramp and tarp be okay? That's how we got the IBM 082 card sorter here from Cherry Hill.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
                    I will try to find the best way to do this.
                    Bill

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
                      Fear not!

                      Here is the plan for the L7000.

                      First, since most MARCHins haven't yet seen the minicomputer room, it
                      looks (more or less) like this:

                      http://snarc.net/mini.jpg

                      The systems are arranged chronologically (counterclockwise) from the
                      upper right corner:

                      DEC PDP-8 - 1965
                      Data General Nova - 1969
                      DEC PDP-11/20 - 1970
                      IBM System/34 - 1978
                      Perkin-Elmer 3xxx (I always forget the model number) - 1979
                      Burroughs B-80 - 1982

                      Right now the System/34 is represented by an empty space. So, after
                      VCF, we'll put the L7000 there, and we'll put the System/34 where the
                      B-80 currently sits. If we have to sacrifice the P-E from this exhibit,
                      so be it. But first we'll try to put the '34 along the wall (where the
                      actual 'B-80' letters are in the drawing) and the P-E along the side wall.

                      So, rearranging this room will actually be fairly simple.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 2 10:46 AM
                        Bill and all,

                        This is sounding like a pretty large effort. Should we let this one go
                        and look for something similar from an East coast manufacturer? I'm just
                        asking for a sanity check now that we are past the knee-jerk. Yes, this
                        is a worthy machine. Can we afford the cost of this rescue? Renting the
                        truck sounds like $300+.

                        Jim

                      • evan@snarc.net
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 2 10:55 AM
                          We'll get transportation free from various Infoage people. A totally worthwhile rescue.

                          Bill Degnan wrote:

                          > > You've probably seen my van, but that's not big enough to move it.
                          > Do we
                          > went to just rent a truck?
                          >
                          > We'd need a serious truck with a lift, etc. We'd have to rent that. We
                          > are also going to have to disassemble the work station and carry it up a
                          > flight of stairs. This is going to require some power tools, etc. I will
                          > have to corregraph a plan, etc.
                          >
                          > Bill

                        • Dan Roganti
                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 22 9:15 AM

                            B Degnan wrote:
                            does MARCH want a Burroughts L7000 minicomputer (1971)?  It comes with a
                            work station that reads cards, etc.  It's very dusty, but it's complete,
                            and would take up an entire wall in the minicomputer exhibit room.    I
                            can be cleaned and should be in a museum.    It's kind of like the L5000
                            and L9000 I have read, but there are no pics on the web.

                            I dug up this document recently while searching for other things online and I noticed it mentions about this machine among others. It has quite a comprehensive look at the comparisons between the various business computers of the day. It also has a good amount of technical info which would help towards documenting this exhibit once you have the machine relocated to Infoage.

                            Auerbach Guide to Small Business Computers ,1972, 156pgs
                            http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/files/vintage/docs/Auerbach1972.pdf

                            =Dan

                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 22 10:04 AM

                              > I dug up this document recently while searching for other things
                              > online and I noticed it mentions about this machine among others. It
                              > has quite a comprehensive look at the comparisons between the various
                              > business computers of the day. It also has a good amount of technical
                              > info which would help towards documenting this exhibit once you have
                              > the machine relocated to Infoage.
                              >
                              > Auerbach Guide to Small Business Computers ,1972, 156pgs
                              > http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/files/vintage/docs/Auerbach1972.pdf
                              >

                              > =Dan
                              Thanks Dan.
                            • evan@snarc.net