Re: [midatlanticretro] Burroughs L700 with work station

    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009

      Yes.

      Currently our minicomputer exhibit includes a Burroughs B-80, which is a
      1982 system, also for accounting.

      Bill: just how big is the L7000?  Please be specific.  Also does it
      appear displayable to you, i.e. does it have all the panels, etc., or is
      it a "guts" machine?

      It's dusty yet rust-free.  It could probably be fired up again.  I am going to clean it first, before October, so that it can be moved without one looking like he just cleaned a chimney.

      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009

        > Bill: just how big is the L7000? Please be specific.
        I don't know exactly, but I would say 5' tall, 6' long, 2.5' deep.
        That's just a rough impression.

        The work station is similar to the 82 unit, but it's 12 years older tech.

        bd
      • Brian Cirulnick
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009

          Sorry, I've been buried under work, just catching up on messages...

          I can only speak for myself, but, if it's say... early or middle of October (Warning, I have a car show scheduled for Oct 11th), I can probably come down and lend a hand moving the beast.

          You've probably seen my van, but that's not big enough to move it. Do we went to just rent a truck?
        • Bill Degnan
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009

            > You've probably seen my van, but that's not big enough to move it. Do we
            went to just rent a truck?

            We'd need a serious truck with a lift, etc. We'd have to rent that. We
            are also going to have to disassemble the work station and carry it up a
            flight of stairs. This is going to require some power tools, etc. I will
            have to corregraph a plan, etc.

            Bill
          • Joe Giliberti
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
              Does Nels at Infoage have anything we could use as far as a truck with a lift?

              Joe

              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009

                > > > You've probably seen my van, but that's not big enough to move it. Do
                we
                > > went to just rent a truck?
                > >
                > > We'd need a serious truck with a lift, etc. We'd have to rent that. We
                > > are also going to have to disassemble the work station and carry it up
                > > flight of stairs. This is going to require some power tools, etc. I
                will
                > > have to corregraph a plan, etc.

                I guess if we disassemble it enough to get up the stairs, we won't need a
                lift. I have no idea how they got the thing down there!
                Bill
              • evan@snarc.net
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
                  >>> The work station is similar to the 82 unit, but it's 12 years older tech.

                  Okay. In that case we can just swap them. But it will require more re-arranging in that room. :)
                • Joe Giliberti
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
                    die die die die die

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
                      Okay man. It's your project ... just please shop long and wide for the best deal on a truck.

                      I * might * have someone at Infoage who can help us though. Would a low trailer with a ramp and tarp be okay? That's how we got the IBM 082 card sorter here from Cherry Hill.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
                        I will try to find the best way to do this.
                        Bill

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
                          Fear not!

                          Here is the plan for the L7000.

                          First, since most MARCHins haven't yet seen the minicomputer room, it
                          looks (more or less) like this:

                          http://snarc.net/mini.jpg

                          The systems are arranged chronologically (counterclockwise) from the
                          upper right corner:

                          DEC PDP-8 - 1965
                          Data General Nova - 1969
                          DEC PDP-11/20 - 1970
                          IBM System/34 - 1978
                          Perkin-Elmer 3xxx (I always forget the model number) - 1979
                          Burroughs B-80 - 1982

                          Right now the System/34 is represented by an empty space. So, after
                          VCF, we'll put the L7000 there, and we'll put the System/34 where the
                          B-80 currently sits. If we have to sacrifice the P-E from this exhibit,
                          so be it. But first we'll try to put the '34 along the wall (where the
                          actual 'B-80' letters are in the drawing) and the P-E along the side wall.

                          So, rearranging this room will actually be fairly simple.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 2 10:46 AM
                            Bill and all,

                            This is sounding like a pretty large effort. Should we let this one go
                            and look for something similar from an East coast manufacturer? I'm just
                            asking for a sanity check now that we are past the knee-jerk. Yes, this
                            is a worthy machine. Can we afford the cost of this rescue? Renting the
                            truck sounds like $300+.

                            Jim

                          • evan@snarc.net
                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 2 10:55 AM
                              We'll get transportation free from various Infoage people. A totally worthwhile rescue.

                              Bill Degnan wrote:

                              > > You've probably seen my van, but that's not big enough to move it.
                              > Do we
                              > went to just rent a truck?
                              >
                              > We'd need a serious truck with a lift, etc. We'd have to rent that. We
                              > are also going to have to disassemble the work station and carry it up a
                              > flight of stairs. This is going to require some power tools, etc. I will
                              > have to corregraph a plan, etc.
                              >
                              > Bill

                            • Dan Roganti
                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 22 9:15 AM

                                B Degnan wrote:
                                does MARCH want a Burroughts L7000 minicomputer (1971)?  It comes with a
                                work station that reads cards, etc.  It's very dusty, but it's complete,
                                and would take up an entire wall in the minicomputer exhibit room.    I
                                can be cleaned and should be in a museum.    It's kind of like the L5000
                                and L9000 I have read, but there are no pics on the web.

                                I dug up this document recently while searching for other things online and I noticed it mentions about this machine among others. It has quite a comprehensive look at the comparisons between the various business computers of the day. It also has a good amount of technical info which would help towards documenting this exhibit once you have the machine relocated to Infoage.

                                Auerbach Guide to Small Business Computers ,1972, 156pgs
                                http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/files/vintage/docs/Auerbach1972.pdf

                                =Dan

                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 22 10:04 AM

                                  > I dug up this document recently while searching for other things
                                  > online and I noticed it mentions about this machine among others. It
                                  > has quite a comprehensive look at the comparisons between the various
                                  > business computers of the day. It also has a good amount of technical
                                  > info which would help towards documenting this exhibit once you have
                                  > the machine relocated to Infoage.
                                  >
                                  > Auerbach Guide to Small Business Computers ,1972, 156pgs
                                  > http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/files/vintage/docs/Auerbach1972.pdf
                                  >

                                  > =Dan
                                  Thanks Dan.
                                • evan@snarc.net