Re: [midatlanticretro] Burroughs L700 with work station

    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 30, 2009
      > I propose that we set a date in October to take it apart and bring to
      > InfoAge, then re-assemble. I am confident that we can do this. I am
      > saying October because this is an all day project, even with 4 people,
      > and this way we can set a date and we can focus on VCF. I have been
      > told that there is no deadline.
      Good idea.
      > Either way we'll need a full sized truck with a lift.
      Uh-oh. That can get expensive ....
      > So, I am looking for 3 hearty individuals and a truck. Maybe 3 more
      > people on the InfoAge end to help unload and re-assemble. Let me know
      > directly if interested, and dates available following VCF through to
      > the end of October.
      I volunteer (obviously), but nobody's ever called me "hearty" ......
      > Personally this computer is not my "thing" but I do recognize a rare
      > minicomputer when I see one.
      It's got nothing on the Burroughs mainframe that Claude has! (Which
      apparently will be rescued by the resource-rich Computer History Museum,
      in California, at my suggestion. MARCH can't handle that, literally or
      figuratively.
      > In the past we have balked at huge systems like this, but 1971 is old
      > enough to make it worth having, right?
      Yes.

      Currently our minicomputer exhibit includes a Burroughs B-80, which is a
      1982 system, also for accounting.

      Bill: just how big is the L7000? Please be specific. Also does it
      appear displayable to you, i.e. does it have all the panels, etc., or is
      it a "guts" machine?
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009

        Yes.

        Currently our minicomputer exhibit includes a Burroughs B-80, which is a
        1982 system, also for accounting.

        Bill: just how big is the L7000?  Please be specific.  Also does it
        appear displayable to you, i.e. does it have all the panels, etc., or is
        it a "guts" machine?

        It's dusty yet rust-free.  It could probably be fired up again.  I am going to clean it first, before October, so that it can be moved without one looking like he just cleaned a chimney.

        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009

          > Bill: just how big is the L7000? Please be specific.
          I don't know exactly, but I would say 5' tall, 6' long, 2.5' deep.
          That's just a rough impression.

          The work station is similar to the 82 unit, but it's 12 years older tech.

          bd
        • Brian Cirulnick
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009

            Sorry, I've been buried under work, just catching up on messages...

            I can only speak for myself, but, if it's say... early or middle of October (Warning, I have a car show scheduled for Oct 11th), I can probably come down and lend a hand moving the beast.

            You've probably seen my van, but that's not big enough to move it. Do we went to just rent a truck?
          • Bill Degnan
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009

              > You've probably seen my van, but that's not big enough to move it. Do we
              went to just rent a truck?

              We'd need a serious truck with a lift, etc. We'd have to rent that. We
              are also going to have to disassemble the work station and carry it up a
              flight of stairs. This is going to require some power tools, etc. I will
              have to corregraph a plan, etc.

              Bill
            • Joe Giliberti
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
                Does Nels at Infoage have anything we could use as far as a truck with a lift?

                Joe

                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009

                  > > > You've probably seen my van, but that's not big enough to move it. Do
                  we
                  > > went to just rent a truck?
                  > >
                  > > We'd need a serious truck with a lift, etc. We'd have to rent that. We
                  > > are also going to have to disassemble the work station and carry it up
                  > > flight of stairs. This is going to require some power tools, etc. I
                  will
                  > > have to corregraph a plan, etc.

                  I guess if we disassemble it enough to get up the stairs, we won't need a
                  lift. I have no idea how they got the thing down there!
                  Bill
                • evan@snarc.net
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
                    >>> The work station is similar to the 82 unit, but it's 12 years older tech.

                    Okay. In that case we can just swap them. But it will require more re-arranging in that room. :)
                  • Joe Giliberti
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
                      die die die die die

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
                        Okay man. It's your project ... just please shop long and wide for the best deal on a truck.

                        I * might * have someone at Infoage who can help us though. Would a low trailer with a ramp and tarp be okay? That's how we got the IBM 082 card sorter here from Cherry Hill.

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
                          I will try to find the best way to do this.
                          Bill

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
                            Fear not!

                            Here is the plan for the L7000.

                            First, since most MARCHins haven't yet seen the minicomputer room, it
                            looks (more or less) like this:

                            http://snarc.net/mini.jpg

                            The systems are arranged chronologically (counterclockwise) from the
                            upper right corner:

                            DEC PDP-8 - 1965
                            Data General Nova - 1969
                            DEC PDP-11/20 - 1970
                            IBM System/34 - 1978
                            Perkin-Elmer 3xxx (I always forget the model number) - 1979
                            Burroughs B-80 - 1982

                            Right now the System/34 is represented by an empty space. So, after
                            VCF, we'll put the L7000 there, and we'll put the System/34 where the
                            B-80 currently sits. If we have to sacrifice the P-E from this exhibit,
                            so be it. But first we'll try to put the '34 along the wall (where the
                            actual 'B-80' letters are in the drawing) and the P-E along the side wall.

                            So, rearranging this room will actually be fairly simple.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 2, 2009
                              Bill and all,

                              This is sounding like a pretty large effort. Should we let this one go
                              and look for something similar from an East coast manufacturer? I'm just
                              asking for a sanity check now that we are past the knee-jerk. Yes, this
                              is a worthy machine. Can we afford the cost of this rescue? Renting the
                              truck sounds like $300+.

                              Jim

                            • evan@snarc.net
                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 2, 2009
                                We'll get transportation free from various Infoage people. A totally worthwhile rescue.

                                Bill Degnan wrote:

                                > > You've probably seen my van, but that's not big enough to move it.
                                > Do we
                                > went to just rent a truck?
                                >
                                > We'd need a serious truck with a lift, etc. We'd have to rent that. We
                                > are also going to have to disassemble the work station and carry it up a
                                > flight of stairs. This is going to require some power tools, etc. I will
                                > have to corregraph a plan, etc.
                                >
                                > Bill

                              • Dan Roganti
                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 22, 2009

                                  B Degnan wrote:
                                  does MARCH want a Burroughts L7000 minicomputer (1971)?  It comes with a
                                  work station that reads cards, etc.  It's very dusty, but it's complete,
                                  and would take up an entire wall in the minicomputer exhibit room.    I
                                  can be cleaned and should be in a museum.    It's kind of like the L5000
                                  and L9000 I have read, but there are no pics on the web.

                                  I dug up this document recently while searching for other things online and I noticed it mentions about this machine among others. It has quite a comprehensive look at the comparisons between the various business computers of the day. It also has a good amount of technical info which would help towards documenting this exhibit once you have the machine relocated to Infoage.

                                  Auerbach Guide to Small Business Computers ,1972, 156pgs
                                  http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/files/vintage/docs/Auerbach1972.pdf

                                  =Dan

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Aug 22, 2009

                                    > I dug up this document recently while searching for other things
                                    > online and I noticed it mentions about this machine among others. It
                                    > has quite a comprehensive look at the comparisons between the various
                                    > business computers of the day. It also has a good amount of technical
                                    > info which would help towards documenting this exhibit once you have
                                    > the machine relocated to Infoage.
                                    >
                                    > Auerbach Guide to Small Business Computers ,1972, 156pgs
                                    > http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/files/vintage/docs/Auerbach1972.pdf
                                    >

                                    > =Dan
                                    Thanks Dan.
                                  • evan@snarc.net