Re: [midatlanticretro] Burroughs L700 with work station

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 30, 2009
      On Thu, 30 Jul 2009, B Degnan wrote:

      > does MARCH want a Burroughts L7000 minicomputer (1971)? It comes with a
      > work station that reads cards, etc. It's very dusty, but it's complete,
      > and would take up an entire wall in the minicomputer exhibit room. I
      > can be cleaned and should be in a museum. It's kind of like the L5000
      > and L9000 I have read, but there are no pics on the web. My cell phone
      > camera is almost useless so I don't have much to

      Wow, where do you find this stuff? :-)

      There are two operations manuals for the L-series on Bitsavers, with
      pictures of the terminal:

      http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/burroughs/series_L/

      ...and some other info:

      http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctech/2006-January/055594.html

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 30, 2009
        Mike Loewen wrote:
        On Thu, 30 Jul 2009, B Degnan wrote:

        does MARCH want a Burroughts L7000 minicomputer (1971)?  It comes with a
        work station that reads cards, etc.  It's very dusty, but it's complete,
        and would take up an entire wall in the minicomputer exhibit room.    I
        can be cleaned and should be in a museum.    It's kind of like the L5000
        and L9000 I have read, but there are no pics on the web.  My cell phone
        camera is almost useless so I don't have much to

            Wow, where do you find this stuff?  :-)

            There are two operations manuals for the L-series on Bitsavers, with
        pictures of the terminal:

        http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/burroughs/series_L/

            ...and some other info:

        http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctech/2006-January/055594.html

        Thanks.  It's pretty much complete and I believe we can do a full restore, if there is anyone who knows what to do with this beast.

        I propose that we set a date in October to take it apart and bring to InfoAge, then re-assemble.  I am confident that we can do this.  I am saying October because this is an all day project, even with 4 people, and this way we can set a date and we can focus on VCF.  I have been told that there is no deadline.

        The computer is about 6 miles from my house, so we can either meet at my house or meet at the jewelry store.  Either way we'll need a full sized truck with a lift.

        The terminal station with the card reader and writer (whatever it is) is very cool, the computer itself may be a 1970-1 model, but it looks 1965.  I have a manual of some sort, plus they're is a lot more spaces to look around in down in that basement for more docs.

        So, I am looking for 3 hearty individuals and a truck.  Maybe 3 more people on the InfoAge end to help unload and re-assemble.  Let me know directly if interested, and dates available following VCF through to the end of October.

        Personally this computer is not my "thing" but I do recognize a rare minicomputer when I see one.  The only thing I was able to save larger than this monster is a linotype machine I helped move to the System Solutions museum in Baltimore three years ago.

        I understand that we now have the space to hold this kind of stuff, if there are any objections to adding this to the MARCH collection let me know.  In the past we have balked at huge systems like this, but 1971 is old enough to make it worth having, right?

        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 30, 2009
          > I propose that we set a date in October to take it apart and bring to
          > InfoAge, then re-assemble. I am confident that we can do this. I am
          > saying October because this is an all day project, even with 4 people,
          > and this way we can set a date and we can focus on VCF. I have been
          > told that there is no deadline.
          Good idea.
          > Either way we'll need a full sized truck with a lift.
          Uh-oh. That can get expensive ....
          > So, I am looking for 3 hearty individuals and a truck. Maybe 3 more
          > people on the InfoAge end to help unload and re-assemble. Let me know
          > directly if interested, and dates available following VCF through to
          > the end of October.
          I volunteer (obviously), but nobody's ever called me "hearty" ......
          > Personally this computer is not my "thing" but I do recognize a rare
          > minicomputer when I see one.
          It's got nothing on the Burroughs mainframe that Claude has! (Which
          apparently will be rescued by the resource-rich Computer History Museum,
          in California, at my suggestion. MARCH can't handle that, literally or
          figuratively.
          > In the past we have balked at huge systems like this, but 1971 is old
          > enough to make it worth having, right?
          Yes.

          Currently our minicomputer exhibit includes a Burroughs B-80, which is a
          1982 system, also for accounting.

          Bill: just how big is the L7000? Please be specific. Also does it
          appear displayable to you, i.e. does it have all the panels, etc., or is
          it a "guts" machine?
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009

            Yes.

            Currently our minicomputer exhibit includes a Burroughs B-80, which is a
            1982 system, also for accounting.

            Bill: just how big is the L7000?  Please be specific.  Also does it
            appear displayable to you, i.e. does it have all the panels, etc., or is
            it a "guts" machine?

            It's dusty yet rust-free.  It could probably be fired up again.  I am going to clean it first, before October, so that it can be moved without one looking like he just cleaned a chimney.

            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009

              > Bill: just how big is the L7000? Please be specific.
              I don't know exactly, but I would say 5' tall, 6' long, 2.5' deep.
              That's just a rough impression.

              The work station is similar to the 82 unit, but it's 12 years older tech.

              bd
            • Brian Cirulnick
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009

                Sorry, I've been buried under work, just catching up on messages...

                I can only speak for myself, but, if it's say... early or middle of October (Warning, I have a car show scheduled for Oct 11th), I can probably come down and lend a hand moving the beast.

                You've probably seen my van, but that's not big enough to move it. Do we went to just rent a truck?
              • Bill Degnan
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009

                  > You've probably seen my van, but that's not big enough to move it. Do we
                  went to just rent a truck?

                  We'd need a serious truck with a lift, etc. We'd have to rent that. We
                  are also going to have to disassemble the work station and carry it up a
                  flight of stairs. This is going to require some power tools, etc. I will
                  have to corregraph a plan, etc.

                  Bill
                • Joe Giliberti
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
                    Does Nels at Infoage have anything we could use as far as a truck with a lift?

                    Joe

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009

                      > > > You've probably seen my van, but that's not big enough to move it. Do
                      we
                      > > went to just rent a truck?
                      > >
                      > > We'd need a serious truck with a lift, etc. We'd have to rent that. We
                      > > are also going to have to disassemble the work station and carry it up
                      > > flight of stairs. This is going to require some power tools, etc. I
                      will
                      > > have to corregraph a plan, etc.

                      I guess if we disassemble it enough to get up the stairs, we won't need a
                      lift. I have no idea how they got the thing down there!
                      Bill
                    • evan@snarc.net
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
                        >>> The work station is similar to the 82 unit, but it's 12 years older tech.

                        Okay. In that case we can just swap them. But it will require more re-arranging in that room. :)
                      • Joe Giliberti
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
                          die die die die die

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
                            Okay man. It's your project ... just please shop long and wide for the best deal on a truck.

                            I * might * have someone at Infoage who can help us though. Would a low trailer with a ramp and tarp be okay? That's how we got the IBM 082 card sorter here from Cherry Hill.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
                              I will try to find the best way to do this.
                              Bill

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
                                Fear not!

                                Here is the plan for the L7000.

                                First, since most MARCHins haven't yet seen the minicomputer room, it
                                looks (more or less) like this:

                                http://snarc.net/mini.jpg

                                The systems are arranged chronologically (counterclockwise) from the
                                upper right corner:

                                DEC PDP-8 - 1965
                                Data General Nova - 1969
                                DEC PDP-11/20 - 1970
                                IBM System/34 - 1978
                                Perkin-Elmer 3xxx (I always forget the model number) - 1979
                                Burroughs B-80 - 1982

                                Right now the System/34 is represented by an empty space. So, after
                                VCF, we'll put the L7000 there, and we'll put the System/34 where the
                                B-80 currently sits. If we have to sacrifice the P-E from this exhibit,
                                so be it. But first we'll try to put the '34 along the wall (where the
                                actual 'B-80' letters are in the drawing) and the P-E along the side wall.

                                So, rearranging this room will actually be fairly simple.

                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 2, 2009
                                  Bill and all,

                                  This is sounding like a pretty large effort. Should we let this one go
                                  and look for something similar from an East coast manufacturer? I'm just
                                  asking for a sanity check now that we are past the knee-jerk. Yes, this
                                  is a worthy machine. Can we afford the cost of this rescue? Renting the
                                  truck sounds like $300+.

                                  Jim

                                • evan@snarc.net
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Aug 2, 2009
                                    We'll get transportation free from various Infoage people. A totally worthwhile rescue.

                                    Bill Degnan wrote:

                                    > > You've probably seen my van, but that's not big enough to move it.
                                    > Do we
                                    > went to just rent a truck?
                                    >
                                    > We'd need a serious truck with a lift, etc. We'd have to rent that. We
                                    > are also going to have to disassemble the work station and carry it up a
                                    > flight of stairs. This is going to require some power tools, etc. I will
                                    > have to corregraph a plan, etc.
                                    >
                                    > Bill

                                  • Dan Roganti
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Aug 22, 2009

                                      B Degnan wrote:
                                      does MARCH want a Burroughts L7000 minicomputer (1971)?  It comes with a
                                      work station that reads cards, etc.  It's very dusty, but it's complete,
                                      and would take up an entire wall in the minicomputer exhibit room.    I
                                      can be cleaned and should be in a museum.    It's kind of like the L5000
                                      and L9000 I have read, but there are no pics on the web.

                                      I dug up this document recently while searching for other things online and I noticed it mentions about this machine among others. It has quite a comprehensive look at the comparisons between the various business computers of the day. It also has a good amount of technical info which would help towards documenting this exhibit once you have the machine relocated to Infoage.

                                      Auerbach Guide to Small Business Computers ,1972, 156pgs
                                      http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/files/vintage/docs/Auerbach1972.pdf

                                      =Dan

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Aug 22, 2009

                                        > I dug up this document recently while searching for other things
                                        > online and I noticed it mentions about this machine among others. It
                                        > has quite a comprehensive look at the comparisons between the various
                                        > business computers of the day. It also has a good amount of technical
                                        > info which would help towards documenting this exhibit once you have
                                        > the machine relocated to Infoage.
                                        >
                                        > Auerbach Guide to Small Business Computers ,1972, 156pgs
                                        > http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/files/vintage/docs/Auerbach1972.pdf
                                        >

                                        > =Dan
                                        Thanks Dan.
                                      • evan@snarc.net