Re: Camp Evans poster "error"

  • Brian Cirulnick
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 27, 2009

      > > In the first room, there is a poster which describes what it cost to
      > > use a particular machine in 1947 for two weeks. It states the number
      > > as $2499, which, today, would be enough to buy a high end Mac or PC.
      > > Inflation adjusted, the number is about $24,000
      > >
      > > Joe
      > No error! It really was that expensive to use the University of
      > Pennsylvania's Differential Analyzer. See for yourself:
      > http://snarc.net/diff-penn.jpg

      That doesn't surprise me. Once upon a time, when only universities and research facilities had access to (D)Arpa-Net (now the internet), posting a message on usenet was sometimes preceeded by a warning about how much money the university spent to send out this message.

      This is (one of the reasons) why the very first spam message caused such an uproar.

      I know when I had some access to Johns-Hopkins University (don't ask), there was often a warning message before posting to usenet, I think Columbia University also had restrictions on posting for that reason.