RE: [midatlanticretro] Apparently there will be no VCF East 3 this year

  • Richard A. Cini, Jr.
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 16, 2005
      Delaware for me is no further than the Sun campus in Massachusetts. I'm on
      Long Island. With the wind at my back, I can reach Philly in 3 hours.
      Wilmington is not far from that (1/2hr maybe?).

      >From: "billdeg" <billdeg@...>
      >To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [midatlanticretro] Apparently there will be no VCF East 3 this
      >year
      >Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 21:09:08 -0000
      >

      >I read that there would likely be no VCF East 3.0 this year (but
      >there will be a mid-west event). This got me to thinking. Our
      >little festival within a festival next month would be a nice
      >practice for a full-blown MARCH 1.0 festival some day, maybe even
      >later this year?
      >
      >I know...One step at a time, but I for one would be up for it. I
      >think that an event for east coast hobbyists and collectors would be
      >a lot of fun. I also know that this kind of thing is a lot of work,
      >but we can keep it *small and simple* for a first go round.
      >
      >Put this thought in the back of your mind...I can schedule the
      >Delaware Horticultural Center in Wilmington, DEL for free (or pretty
      >cheap). The horticultural center has a nice-sized hall/room that
      >can fit plenty of booths (maybe 20 or so), and the entrace hall for
      >a swap meet, signup/info table, etc. There are a lot of bars and
      >restaurants in walking distance from the Hort. Center with hotels
      >about 1 mile down the road. It's a safe part of town. Wilmington
      >is 2-3 hours from NYC but only one hour from Baltimore.
      >
      >Would this may be too far south for the average MARCH member?
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • evan
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 16, 2005
        Bill (and everyone),

        Sellam Ismail hasn't finalized the VCF plans yet. VCF East 3.0 is still
        officially "tentative". (Granted, the summer is coming fast, so he's running
        out of time for East. VCF Midwest more certain, but not official yet.)

        For the record (if anyone was wondering), Sellam and I are close friends, so I
        can speak with an insider's perspective on this. (LOL, Bill, if you didn't
        notice, I'm the guy who answered the VCF question on the classiccmp list this
        afternoon, using my other address as news@......)

        Anyway, you're certainly correct that getting free use of the ballroom would be
        a huge opportunity for MARCH and for local hobbyists. Fred @ InfoAge (the
        museum thing) says we can use that facility as well, but it won't be ready
        anytime soon (several months at least, maybe a year+).

        Having a free/very cheap venue is typically the main obstacle. (Last year I
        got Sellam the use of the Sun facility in Boston, vai an industry contact.) So
        I'm very glad to hear about your Delaware connection!

        For the maximum success, I think we should propose to Sellam that we become the
        official sponsor/host of VCF East. (Why start from scratch when the franchise
        is available and already successful?) LOL, but holding it any month other than
        March might just confuse people. ;)

        Anyone else have input about this?

        As a (growing!) group, we ought to make a list of priorities. Candidates (not
        including TCF) include:
        - organizing a VCF(-ish) event
        - leading the computer museum effort @ InfoAge (beginning with their existing
        collection which we'd sort of inherit -- a preliminary list is here:
        http://www.infoage.org/grabbe.htm)
        - having a social event (barbeque at someone's house, etc.)
        - group trips (local museums, other shows, etc.)
        - Smarter ideas which people smarter than me (i.e., all of you) will think of
        and suggestion via this group

        --- billdeg <billdeg@...> wrote:

        > I read that there would likely be no VCF East 3.0 this year (but
        > there will be a mid-west event). This got me to thinking. Our
        > little festival within a festival next month would be a nice
        > practice for a full-blown MARCH 1.0 festival some day, maybe even
        > later this year?
        >
        > I know...One step at a time, but I for one would be up for it. I
        > think that an event for east coast hobbyists and collectors would be
        > a lot of fun. I also know that this kind of thing is a lot of work,
        > but we can keep it *small and simple* for a first go round.
        >
        > Put this thought in the back of your mind...I can schedule the
        > Delaware Horticultural Center in Wilmington, DEL for free (or pretty
        > cheap). The horticultural center has a nice-sized hall/room that
        > can fit plenty of booths (maybe 20 or so), and the entrace hall for
        > a swap meet, signup/info table, etc. There are a lot of bars and
        > restaurants in walking distance from the Hort. Center with hotels
        > about 1 mile down the road. It's a safe part of town. Wilmington
        > is 2-3 hours from NYC but only one hour from Baltimore.
        >
        > Would this may be too far south for the average MARCH member?

      • Bill Sudbrink
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 16, 2005
          > Put this thought in the back of your mind...I can schedule the
          > Delaware Horticultural Center in Wilmington, DEL for free (or pretty
          > cheap). The horticultural center has a nice-sized hall/room that
          > can fit plenty of booths (maybe 20 or so), and the entrace hall for
          > a swap meet, signup/info table, etc. There are a lot of bars and
          > restaurants in walking distance from the Hort. Center with hotels
          > about 1 mile down the road. It's a safe part of town. Wilmington
          > is 2-3 hours from NYC but only one hour from Baltimore.
          >
          > Would this may be too far south for the average MARCH member?

          Speaking as a resident of Maryland (near Washington, DC), no, not
          at all. ;-)
        • billdeg@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 16, 2005
            yes, I used to commute to work each day from WIlm to Phila...35 minutes during rush hour.
            bd
          • billdeg@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 16, 2005
              Wow...That would be even better to work with Sellam/VCF, I admire what he as done and we could learn a lot.

              Bill

            • Dan
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 16, 2005
                Rich,

                Another Longuylander here,
                grew up in Elmont, moved out in '80.

                Dan

                [ My Corner of Cyberspace ]
                [ http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/ ]
                [ ]
                [ Pittsburgh Robotics Society Got Robot ? ]
                [ http://pghrobot.home.comcast.net/ ]

                Richard A. Cini, Jr. wrote:

                > Delaware for me is no further than the Sun campus in Massachusetts.
                > I'm on
                > Long Island.

                [snip]