Q-Link

  • relayer
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 29, 2005
      How about some retro online services?

      I just got done trying out the remake of Quantum Link. A Commodore 64
      online service that was the predecessor to today's AOL.

      http://www.quantum-link.org/

      You can use an emulator, or a true C64 with a serial interface to a
      modern PC. For those that could afford to use the original Q-Link,
      it's all the same. It'll even use the same Q-Link disk image if you
      have one. Some of the services aren't implemented yet, but you get
      some games, e-mail, and the People Connection chat room.

      It's still beta, and growing..... A great trip down memory lane.

      They plan to implement Wikipedia as the Q-Link encyclopedia, IRC
      connectivity for multi room chat, and RSS for news feeds. All this
      would be done at their server but be a transparent function of Q-Link.
    • billdeg@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 29, 2005
        I have a number of the original Q-Link disks, I wish I could dial in
        directly, that'd be even better.
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 30, 2005
          Ah, if only someone could resurect the old text-based CompuServe. I miss the
          comraderie of the forums... Using a 2400bps modem... Downloading messages
          using TapCIS... Paying $24/hour to connect...

          Oh for the good old days!

          BTW, if you miss a green-screen UNIX system, try http://freeshell.org/. A
          limited but still useful UNIX shell account is free and for $1 you get more
          complete shell account functionality for life.

          Jim

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005
              In today's context, this message is a liitle out of the blue. It sat in
              "drafts" for a long time. I meant to delete it and clicked the wrong button.
              Oh well!

              ...I really do miss CompuServe, the best of the old online services, and
              freeshell.org is a true "vintage experience".

              Jim

              --- Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

              > Ah, if only someone could resurect the old text-based CompuServe. I miss
              > the
              > comraderie of the forums... Using a 2400bps modem... Downloading messages
              > using TapCIS... Paying $24/hour to connect...
              >
              > Oh for the good old days!
              >
              > BTW, if you miss a green-screen UNIX system, try http://freeshell.org/. A
              > limited but still useful UNIX shell account is free and for $1 you get more
              > complete shell account functionality for life.
              >
              > Jim
              >
              > --- billdeg@... wrote:
              >
              > > I have a number of the original Q-Link disks, I wish I could dial in
              > > directly, that'd be even better.
              > > Bill

            • Sridhar Ayengar
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005
                Jim Scheef wrote:
                > In today's context, this message is a liitle out of the blue. It sat in
                > "drafts" for a long time. I meant to delete it and clicked the wrong button.
                > Oh well!
                >
                > ...I really do miss CompuServe, the best of the old online services, and
                > freeshell.org is a true "vintage experience".

                Why is freeshell.org a vintage experience? I still use a shell to do
                most of my work, both at home *and at work*. I use a shell to make my
                living.

                Calling it vintage is calling the CLI outdated is calling UNIX outdated.

                Peace... Sridhar
              • William Pechter
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005
                  There's a few old CIS users out here who miss it tonight and new the
                  end of computing as we know it occurred not with Windows/DOS but with
                  the AOL buyout of the CIS name.

                  Here's to MNET11 8-)

                  --- Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

                  > In today's context, this message is a liitle out of the blue. It sat
                  > in
                  > "drafts" for a long time. I meant to delete it and clicked the wrong
                  > button.
                  > Oh well!
                  >
                  > ...I really do miss CompuServe, the best of the old online services,
                  > and
                  > freeshell.org is a true "vintage experience".
                  >
                  > Jim
                  >
                  > --- Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Ah, if only someone could resurect the old text-based CompuServe. I
                  > miss
                  > > the
                  > > comraderie of the forums... Using a 2400bps modem... Downloading
                  > messages
                  > > using TapCIS... Paying $24/hour to connect...
                  > >
                  > > Oh for the good old days!
                  > >
                  > > BTW, if you miss a green-screen UNIX system, try
                  > http://freeshell.org/. A
                  > > limited but still useful UNIX shell account is free and for $1 you
                  > get more
                  > > complete shell account functionality for life.
                  > >
                  > > Jim
                  > >
                  > > --- billdeg@... wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > I have a number of the original Q-Link disks, I wish I could dial
                  > in
                  > > > directly, that'd be even better.
                  > > > Bill

                • Bob Applegate
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005
                    I've got to agree with this.  What's retro about a command line interface?  I've got
                    multiple Xterm sessions open right now at work.  Is that site "vintage" because of
                    the machines they use?

                    Bob

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005
                      Bob Applegate wrote:
                      > I've got to agree with this. What's retro about a command line
                      > interface? I've got
                      > multiple Xterm sessions open right now at work. Is that site "vintage"
                      > because of
                      > the machines they use?

                      They use Alphaservers running NetBSD. Those aren't vintage either.

                      They do run a good service, though.

                      Peace... Sridhar
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 5, 2005
                        Bob and Sridhar,

                        Well, the **IX command line interface is "retro" (as opposed to "vintage")
                        because that's where it all started. If you use it today, it's not because
                        you MUST, but because you want to. "User Friendly is what you know." I use
                        the command shell in Windows XP when it suits my needs, but I don't try to
                        configure the Windows DHCP server using the command line. It can be done, but
                        why would I want to when it's so much easier and faster to use the GUI? Of
                        course on Linux one has no choice but to edit the config files using vi or
                        the editor dujour.

                        CompuServe still exists (sort of) but the old ASCII interface to the fora is
                        gone. Even the Wizop tools are gone. I will probably not need my copy of
                        TapCIS anytime soon.

                        Jim