Recognition for Fred ...

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 25, 2009
      MARCHins,

      There's an email circulating among the InfoAge volunteers to nominate Fred
      for CNN's "Heros" award.

      The direct link is here: http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/cnn.heroes/nom/ ....
      I urge all MARCHins to nominate Fred for this award, using your own words.

      Just in case anyone here doesn't already know: Fred Carl is InfoAge's
      executive director (InfoAge is where we have our computer museum.) He
      co-founded the museum in the late 1990s after Congress voted to close the
      Army base. Most developers and politicians figured the land would be
      valuable for commercial purposes. Instead, Fred quite literally took on
      not just city hall, but also the state and the Pentagon -- the latter of
      which told him he would NEVER beat them -- and he won! The land was saved
      by getting onto the National Parks Service's National Register of Historic
      Places. After that, he managed to rally dozens of volunteers (eventually
      including MARCH, in spring 2005) to turn the abandoned base into a science
      museum despite having virtually no money. Moreover, Fred did all this
      while having a full-time job, being a great parent, serving as Wall
      Township historian, and taking the time to have a strong personal
      relationship with every volunteer.

      So, again, please take a few minutes to fill out the CNN form and nominate
      Fred for this award. The recognition will surely help InfoAge (and
      therefore MARCH), but Fred personally deserves this honor as much as
      anyone I've ever met.

      - Evan
    • Joe Giliberti

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 25, 2009
          I forgot to mention -- for the options, select "50+" for his age,
          "Community Crusader" for the category, and "Before January 1, 2009, but
          ongoing" for the timeframe.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 25, 2009
            > For which category? More than one could apply?

            Answers in other email I just sent
          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 26, 2009

              thanks for the headsup
              I nominated him too.

              I also added some info from the InfoAge website in the various comment boxes including the intro comments you made - they have limited amt of characters, so I sorted the info between all the boxes .

              BOX 1:*Why does your nominee deserve recognition as a CNN Hero in this category?
              Fred Carl is the executive director of InfoAge Science Center -- where we have our computer museum.  He co-founded the museum in the late 1990s after Congress voted to close the Army base.  Most developers and politicians figured the land would be valuable for commercial purposes.  Instead, Fred quite literally took on not just city hall, but also the state and the Pentagon -- the latter of which told him he would never beat them -- and he won !

              BOX 2:*How have your nominee's efforts made a difference for the better?
              Fred's work at this location made a difference because of the following significant events in history:
               - Marconi Trans-Atlantic Wireless station 1914
               - world-wide wireless communications
               - W.W.I trans-Atlantic communications
               - radar development for W.W.II
               - space communications in 1946,
               - nuclear weapons research site,
               - birthplace of satellite based hurricane tracking
               - a pre-NASA space research site

              BOX 3: *Is there a specific incident or turning point that motivated your nominee to take action?
              The land was saved by getting onto the National Parks Service's National Register of Historic Places.  After that, he managed to rally dozens of volunteers   eventually including MARCH, in spring 2005) to turn the abandoned base into a science museum despite having virtually no money.  Moreover, Fred did all this while having a full-time job, being a great parent, serving as Wall Township historian, and taking the time to have a strong personal relationship with every volunteer.

              BOX 4: Is there anything else that makes your nominee exceptional or unique?
              Look at all of the progress made and the the future work on the following website:
              http://infoage.org/

              =Dan

            • trailingedge.geo
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 26, 2009
                > The recognition will surely help InfoAge (and
                > therefore MARCH), but Fred personally deserves this honor as much as
                > anyone I've ever met.

                Eloquently put, Evan. As a longtime InfoAge supporter (and InfoAge life member) I couldn't agree more with this idea!

                --Dave Sica
              • Christian Liendo
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 27, 2009
                  In addition to this, should we chip in and get Fred a plaque showing our thanks and give it to him at VCF East? If CNN doesn't list him as a hero, we can.

                • evan@snarc.net
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 27, 2009
                    Nah that's overkill ...

                    From: Christian Liendo