Jim She's Not Quite Dead Yet (was Altos "Serie 5" 5-AD)

  • billdeg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 29 11:16 AM
      Good news and bad news. At least the computer is not totally dead.

      I worked on the Altos 5 last night until after 1 AM, and I was able to get
      the motherboard back into operation by taking all of the IC's out and re-seating
      them, but the hard drive does the "click click click" thing.

      The hard drive is a 10MB Segate 506.

      The system starts up, and displays messages (something like):

      ALTOS COMPUTER CO
      MONITOR 7.02
      ---
      running self test
      ---
      Press a key to interrupt default boot process

      [key press]

      Press 1 to boot from disk
      Press 2 to boot from hard drive.

      [press1] or [press 2]

      reading hard drive error messages (80, 07, etc.)

      Bill D
    • Chris M
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 29 12:35 PM
        Radio Shack sells a spray, about 12 bucks I think,
        that is useful for removing oxides that accumulate on
        chips and sockets. It works. You have to make sure it
        dries COMPLETELY before reapplying power. Problems
        will ensue...

        --- billdeg@... wrote:

        > Good news and bad news. At least the computer is
        > not totally dead.
        >
        > I worked on the Altos 5 last night until after 1 AM,
        > and I was able to get
        > the motherboard back into operation by taking all of
        > the IC's out and re-seating
        > them, but the hard drive does the "click click
        > click" thing.
        >
        > The hard drive is a 10MB Segate 506.
        >
        > The system starts up, and displays messages
        > (something like):
        >
        > ALTOS COMPUTER CO
        > MONITOR 7.02
        > ---
        > running self test
        > ---
        > Press a key to interrupt default boot process
        >
        > [key press]
        >
        > Press 1 to boot from disk
        > Press 2 to boot from hard drive.
        >
        > [press1] or [press 2]
        >
        > reading hard drive error messages (80, 07, etc.)
        >
        > Bill D

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Joe Giliberti
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 29 1:08 PM
          Chris M wrote:
          Radio Shack sells a spray, about 12 bucks I think,
          that is useful for removing oxides that accumulate on
          chips and sockets. It works. You have to make sure it
          dries COMPLETELY before reapplying power. Problems
          will ensue...

          If you are refering to contact cleaner, DO NOT USE! Can cause certain types of plastics to shrink, and can catch fire if it has not completely dried
        • Chris M
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 29 1:21 PM
            the stuph I used didn't cause any of those problems. I
            think you're referring to something more heavy duty.
            This stuph was made for what I was talking about. But
            I guess it would be wise to check with the attendent
            before usage.

            > If you are refering to contact cleaner, DO NOT USE!
            > Can cause certain
            > types of plastics to shrink, and can catch fire if
            > it has not completely
            > dried

            __________________________________
            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 29 1:24 PM

              > If you are refering to contact cleaner, DO NOT USE!
              > Can cause certain
              > types of plastics to shrink, and can catch fire if
              > it has not completely
              > dried

              They've been making plastics-safe contact cleaner since at least the
              70s. Just check the label before using.

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            • Joe Giliberti
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 29 1:44 PM
                Mike Loewen wrote:

                > They've been making plastics-safe contact cleaner since at least the
                > 70s. Just check the label before using.

                aren't those usually just cans of compressed air?
              • Mike Loewen
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 29 1:56 PM
                  On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Joe Giliberti wrote:

                  > Mike Loewen wrote:
                  >

                  >> They've been making plastics-safe contact cleaner since at least the
                  >> 70s. Just check the label before using.
                  >>
                  > aren't those usually just cans of compressed air?

                  Not at all. Here's a couple:

                  http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=64-4315
                  http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/801b.html
                  http://www.techspray.com/contactcleaners.htm

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                • Joe Giliberti
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 29 2:05 PM
                    Mike Loewen wrote:

                    > On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Joe Giliberti wrote:
                    >
                    > > Mike Loewen wrote:
                    > >

                    > >> They've been making plastics-safe contact cleaner since at
                    > least the
                    > >> 70s. Just check the label before using.

                    > > aren't those usually just cans of compressed air?
                    >
                    > Not at all. Here's a couple:
                    >
                    > http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=64-4315
                    > <http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=64-4315>
                    > http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/801b.html
                    > http://www.techspray.com/contactcleaners.htm

                    I wish I had known about those when I was working on my pinball machine.
                    :-[
                  • Bill Sudbrink
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 29 5:27 PM
                      This discussion reminds me that someone asked what I
                      was putting on the bus contacts in Bill D's IMSAI. It
                      was CIAG Labs DeoxIT concentrate followed by Nye Labs
                      Nyogel 759G. The DeoxIT cleans up the contacting surfaces
                      and the Nyogel lubricates and protects them. I've made
                      a number of flakey machines solid by applying it to bus
                      contacts and floppy cables. I've never tried it on chip
                      pins but I don't see any reason that it wouldn't work,
                      although it might get a little messy.

                      Bill S.
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 30 9:58 AM
                        Gosh, I thought CFC's were outlawed! Maybe if I bought 50 cans I could get
                        the AC in my car to work and stop leaking! And end life as we know it in the
                        process...

                        Jim

                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 30 7:36 PM
                          Bill,

                          I was the one who asked. I have two machines that might benefir from such a
                          treatment. Both machines have some tin contacts that no longer make an
                          effective connection.

                          Jim