Possible VCF panel discussion

  • evan@snarc.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 24, 2009
      Here's an idea for a VCF panel discussion: "Current Topics in the Vintage Computing Hobby."

      We'd have three or four panelists on stage, with yours truly being the moderator. Topics could be:

      - merits vs obsolescence of the 10-year-rule (NOT an invitation to discuss the "rule" in this particular email thread)

      - what's going to be collectible in the future

      - craigslist vs ebay vs hobby forums

      - role of museums, mailing lists, forums, blogs, etc.

      Anyone have suggestions for other discussion topics?

      This would all be followed by audience Q&A.

      What does MARCH think? You guys interested in an hour or two of discussing our hobby like this at the VCF?

      The idea is a result of my brainstorming because we are having trouble finding guest speakers this year. I think it's a good idea regardless.
    • Christian Liendo
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 24, 2009
        Atari vs. Commodore!
        IBM vs. Apple!
        Z80 vs 8080!

        The following post has been labeled [S] for Sarcastic. It may contain very strong sarcastic or offensive language. Parental guidance is suggested.

        Seriously.. It's not a bad idea.
        I like

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 24, 2009
          There is certainly a lot of discussion about this set of topics, we may
          need to hold the forum in a room painted light blue to keep the tempers
          down. Could be heated

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 24, 2009
            Heated beats boring!

            Chris' suggestions will make for good humor if I need to calm the room with a good nerd joke. :)

            ("It's getting tense in here so let's move on to a less controversial subject. What do you all think of Windows vs Linux?")

            There is certainly a lot of discussion about this set of topics, we may
            need to hold the forum in a room painted light blue to keep the tempers
            down. Could be heated

            > Here's an idea for a VCF panel discussion: "Current Topics in the Vintage
            Computing Hobby."

            > We'd have three or four panelists on stage, with yours truly being the
            moderator. Topics could be:

            > - merits vs obsolescence of the 10-year-rule (NOT an invitation to
            discuss the "rule" in this particular email thread)

            > - what's going to be collectible in the future
            >
            > - craigslist vs ebay vs hobby forums
            >
            > - role of museums, mailing lists, forums, blogs, etc.
            >
            > Anyone have suggestions for other discussion topics?
            >
            > This would all be followed by audience Q&A.
            >
            > What does MARCH think? You guys interested in an hour or two of
            discussing our hobby like this at the VCF?

            > The idea is a result of my brainstorming because we are having trouble
            finding guest speakers this year. I think it's a good idea regardless.

          • Bill Sudbrink
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 24, 2009
              Evan wrote:

              > Heated beats boring!

              In that case, how about:

              + octal -vs- hex... -vs- binary for that matter
              + vi -vs- emacs
              + C -vs- assembler
              + BSD -vs- Linux

              Other nerd classics...

              Enterprise -vs- Death Star... -vs- Borg Cube

              Alien -vs- Predator

              Wilma -vs- Betty
            • Bill Degnan
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 24, 2009
                atari vs. commodore
                IBM vs apple
              • Joe Giliberti
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 24, 2009
                  Captain Kirk v Captain Picard
                  Ali v Fraser
                  paper v plastic

                  PCDOS vs CPM
                  late mini v early micro

                  Evan v Fred

                  On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 3:14 PM, Bill Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

                  atari vs. commodore
                  IBM vs apple

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 24, 2009
                    Okay okay ... yes there are lots of jokes we could make .... but I'm
                    looking for more serious topics please.
                  • Brian Cirulnick
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 24, 2009
                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Sudbrink" <wh.sudbrink@...> wrote:

                      > + vi -vs- emacs
                      ------------------

                      That argument has been going on for 10 years on Slashdot. And it's still not over.

                      > Enterprise -vs- Death Star... -vs- Borg Cube

                      "Earth Versus The Flying Saucers"

                      > Wilma -vs- Betty

                      Ginger VS Mary-Anne... In Lime Jello.
                    • Brian Cirulnick
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 24, 2009

                        > Okay okay ... yes there are lots of jokes we could make .... but I'm
                        > looking for more serious topics please.

                        -------------------

                        Well, rather than a topic, a method of presentation: Rather than making this sound like a free-for-all of audience partcipation, get two presenters (you can even be one) to make it a thoughtful debate with well-presented arguments for and against. Otherwise, it simply turns into a religious argument.

                        And the topic, which could be vintage computing related would be "6 IBM Mainframes versus millions of 8-bit toys": How corporate computing viewed the world one way, while the hobby-driven nerds saw the world a different way.
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 24, 2009
                          Well, rather than a topic, a method of presentation: Rather than making this sound like a free-for-all of audience partcipation, get two presenters (you can even be one) to make it a thoughtful debate with well-presented arguments for and against.
                          Right.  That's basically what I am thinking.  Not overly formal, but definitely structured.  Sort of a hybrid between a panel and a debate.
                          And the topic, which could be vintage computing related would be "6 IBM Mainframes versus millions of 8-bit toys"

                          I think we should focus on * current * topics in the hobby.
                        • Brian Cirulnick
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 24, 2009

                            > I think we should focus on * current * topics in the hobby.

                            Okay, well I went back to your original message where you listed topics and the obvious one you're missing in that case as it applies to the current state of the hobby is "Emulation VS. The Actual Box".
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 24, 2009

                              >>> I think we should focus on * current * topics in the hobby.
                              > Okay, well I went back to your original message where you listed topics and the obvious one you're missing in that case as it applies to the current state of the hobby is "Emulation VS. The Actual Box".

                              Yes, great idea. Keep 'em coming.

                              Also: the topics don't have to be X vs. Y. Could just be, "How/what
                              should collectors do about blah blah blah" or whatever.
                            • Dan Roganti
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 24, 2009

                                Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                Yes, great idea.  Keep 'em coming.

                                Also: the topics don't have to be X vs. Y.  Could just be, "How/what
                                should collectors do about blah blah blah" or whatever.

                                "How do you feel about vintage hacking regarding the use of modern components to replicate the functions in original machines ?"

                                =Dan

                              • Jeffrey Brace
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jul 25, 2009
                                  It's absolutely a great idea. I think everyone would be interested in this. It would inform as well as entertain. I find it useful to hear about what others know or think about regarding certain topics. I am an end unto myself, but another person knows something I don’t know. This would be a structured way of doing what I'm pretty sure everyone does informally through interaction, but much better because it expands the people involved. The more diversity of thoughts and ideas the better Smiley emoticon