DEC Pro 350 question

  • cliffehrman
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 17, 2009
      Greetings "March" people,

      After extensive googling, binging, etc., it looks like this is a good place to ask this question, so here goes: What, if anything, do you think a working DEC Pr0-350 is worth? I found one place trying to sell one for $599 (seems a bit high to me), the vintage computer site says $25 - $200, and another guy had one he was giving away for free.

      I had this one stored in a closet for a long time, when I brought it out I had to re-install POS and it seems fine. I haven't installed Word-11, Basic, Tool kit, etc but I have the disks. I have a pile of documentation, too. It looks like there are some spots on the inside of the monitor, around the edge.

      Honestly, what do you guys think?

      Cliff
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 17, 2009
        On Fri, 17 Jul 2009, cliffehrman wrote:

        > I had this one stored in a closet for a long time, when I brought it out
        > I had to re-install POS and it seems fine.

        Was there really an operating system called POS?

        "Unlimited technology from the whole universe and we're cruisin' around in
        a Ford P.O.S."

        :-)

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • Bill Degnan
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 17, 2009
          Working everything and clean with software $150.00+.

          I got one complete system for free about three years ago at the Trenton
          Computer Fair, and then I sold it for $20 a year later tp a fellow
          collector. It was a complete system with two monitors, etc. Normally on
          the retail market I would expect to pay $125-200. I know that you can get
          them from ladylinux in Baltimore. She has some Rainbows or 350's I have
          personally seen and they were for sale. I picked up an PDP 11/05 from her,
          with parts, and I was able to assemble a working system from it.

          Bill

          > After extensive googling, binging, etc., it looks like this is a good
          place to ask this question, so here goes: What, if anything, do you think a
          working DEC Pr0-350 is worth? I found one place trying to sell one for $599
          (seems a bit high to me), the vintage computer site says $25 - $200, and
          another guy had one he was giving away for free.

          > I had this one stored in a closet for a long time, when I brought it out
          I had to re-install POS and it seems fine. I haven't installed Word-11,
          Basic, Tool kit, etc but I have the disks. I have a pile of documentation,
          too. It looks like there are some spots on the inside of the monitor,
          around the edge.

          > Honestly, what do you guys think?
          >

          > Cliff

        • Brian Cirulnick
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 17, 2009

            > Was there really an operating system called POS?
            --------------------

            You and I are operating on the same frequency.
            I was just about to say that!!!

            Evan gets mad at me for calling stuff "crap", and DEC made an OS called Piece Of Shit?

            That's it goddammit, CRAP now stands for Computer Retrieval And Procurement.
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 17, 2009
              On Fri, 17 Jul 2009, Brian Cirulnick wrote:

              > That's it goddammit, CRAP now stands for Computer Retrieval And Procurement.

              My wife coined the acronym, LMO (Large Metal Object) whenever I asked
              to borrow her van. :-)

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 17, 2009

                > Greetings "March" people,

                Greetings, Cliff.

                Welcome to MARCH. Please tell us about yourself .... age / location /
                interests / how you learned about us / etc.

                Thanks,
                - Evan (club prez)
              • cliffehrman
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 23, 2009
                  Bill,

                  I was out of town for a couple of days, just wanted to say thanks for the reply. I forgot to ask if an LA50 printer helps the price or not.

                  If anyone knows anyone looking for one of these, please pass my name along.

                  Thanks again.

                  > Working everything and clean with software $150.00+.
                  >
                  > I got one complete system for free about three years ago at the Trenton
                  > Computer Fair, and then I sold it for $20 a year later tp a fellow
                  > collector. It was a complete system with two monitors, etc. Normally on
                  > the retail market I would expect to pay $125-200. I know that you can get
                  > them from ladylinux in Baltimore. She has some Rainbows or 350's I have
                  > personally seen and they were for sale. I picked up an PDP 11/05 from her,
                  > with parts, and I was able to assemble a working system from it.
                  >
                  > Bill

                • Bill Degnan
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 24, 2009
                    printers are value neutral when shipping is involved, at best.