MARCH makin' money

    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 16, 2009
      Not yet, but soon, we're going to have a new (modest) revenue source.

      Every poster in our museum (around 50 of them) will have a number in the
      lower right corner. For $10, we'll print a copy of the poster for any
      visitor. We'll split the income with InfoAge (since we're using InfoAge
      electricity, large glossy paper, and ink.) It only takes 10 minutes to
      make a poster on this equipment because we're not doing the lamination
      process. That way people can hang them as-on on walls, or frame them,
      etc. We can also put thumbnails of the catalog online. The posters can
      be informative, or just pictures of our computers, etc.

      Fred agreed to this plan.
    • Joe Giliberti

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 16, 2009
          I need to change my e-mail address fast. seems fastnet jumped my inbox and
          really don't give a damn about it.

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 16, 2009
            good thinking!

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 16, 2009
              Thanks, Bill.

              What's nice is, this plan doesn't require us to spend any money or stock
              any inventory! We're making the posters anyhow. A lot of times our
              visitors gravitate to whatever specific machine they used 20, 30, 40
              years ago. We can let them go home with the memories and the poster.
              Not even any copyright issues -- we just need to take some good pictures
              of our own artifacts (except where we can get decent pictures from
              Wikimedia Commons, etc.)

              Speaking of which, I am the world's * worst * photographer. Anyone here
              have a GOOD digital camera and really knows how to use it?

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 16, 2009
                Sure.

                Almost every artifact we display will have its own poster.  Whenever possible, we should use a picture of the artifact doing something, not just sitting there.

                Our * initial * posters might be more boring / static, but they're so easy and inexpensive to make that we can do them in waves.

[...]

              • Christian Liendo
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 16, 2009
                  I think it's a great idea rather than T-Shirts because you make as many as you need and no more.

                  I just bought a Canon DSLR, but I am still in the process of learning it and I only have one lens the 18 to 55mm. I got a book on it and I should be ready by the time the show starts

                • Christian Liendo
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 16, 2009
                    http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/ele/1273447715.html

                    Apple Macintosh Performa 6400/200 w/ 88 MB RAM - Vintage Computer - $80 (Midtown)

                    Reply to: sale-bn8er-1273447715@... [Errors when replying to ads?]
                    Date: 2009-07-16, 4:12PM EDT

                    Loaded with software: Risk, Risk II, Hexen, Quake, Wolf3d, SimAnt, SimEarth, SimFarm, Railroad Tycoon, Battlechess, Populous, Oregon Trail, Castles: Siege & Conquest, Photodeluxe, Clarisworks, et c.

                    Obviously a computer like this has no real practical use in this day, but if you're looking for a true classic that you can still run a lot of good apps and fun games, then this is it. The unit itself is in great condition, with only cosmetic scratches on the side and some yellowing associated with beige plastics of this era. There's actually a spray that you can get to restore the original color, if that's your thing.

                    -Powermac Performa 6400/200
                    -2.4 gig hard drive
                    -88mb RAM
                    -Ethernet card (not currently working- but you can find drivers for it)
                    -8x CD-ROM drive
                    -Floppy drive
                    -Built-in sound
                    full specs and more info: http://lowendmac.com/ppc/performa-6400.html

                    for each of these, add $5 (I have multiple classic macs to list, but not as many keyboard/mice for them so its first-come first-serve):
                    -Apple keyboard
                    -Apple desktop bus mouse
                    -Kensington TurboMouse trackball
                    -GriffinTech PNP monitor adapter: use any modern VGA monitor with your Mac (the pictures below show it connected to a new LCD monitor)

                    • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
                    image 1273447715-0image 1273447715-1
                    image 1273447715-2

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 16, 2009
                      Beep .... beep .... beeeeeeeep .... off-topic alarm!!!!!!    :-)

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 17, 2009
                        It's old...
                        It's not my cup of tea....
                        but it's old......

                        Also there are people who collect old/retro macs..
                        Hey, I am just doing this to benefit others.

                        Reply to: sale-bn8er-12734477 15@craigslist. org [Errors when replying to ads?]

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 17, 2009

                          > Also there are people who collect old/retro macs..
                          > Hey, I am just doing this to benefit others.
                          > -------------------

                          But seeing this ad makes me wonder how "vintage" my StarMax Mac-clone is... The one that I still use regularly, and has a crap-load of important data on it.

                          Not to mention I'm still using an 8600 to run my First Class BBS... that's been running the same HD for about 12 years. The fan in the power supply gave out long ago, and the machine is still going.

                          And let's not even discuss my webserver, a Sparc IPX that surprises me every day by still being up.

                          We might be able to create a thread on "what old/retro/vintage machines do you still use regularly?"
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 23, 2009
                            Brian,

                            First, the 486 you gave me is just what I was looking for, so thanks.

                            Second, how does one reach your BBS?

                            Jim

                            Brian Cirulnick wrote:

                            > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                            > <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>, Christian Liendo
                            > <christian_liendo@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > Also there are people who collect old/retro macs..
                            > > Hey, I am just doing this to benefit others.
                            > > -------------------
                            >
                            > But seeing this ad makes me wonder how "vintage" my StarMax Mac-clone
                            > is... The one that I still use regularly, and has a crap-load of
                            > important data on it.
                            >
                            > Not to mention I'm still using an 8600 to run my First Class BBS...
                            > that's been running the same HD for about 12 years. The fan in the power
                            > supply gave out long ago, and the machine is still going.
                            >
                            > And let's not even discuss my webserver, a Sparc IPX that surprises me
                            > every day by still being up.
                            >
                            > We might be able to create a thread on "what old/retro/vintage machines
                            > do you still use regularly?"

                          • Brian Cirulnick
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 23, 2009
                              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Jim Scheef <scheefj@...> wrote:

                              > Brian,
                              >
                              > First, the 486 you gave me is just what I was looking for, so thanks.
                              >
                              > Second, how does one reach your BBS?
                              >
                              > Jim

                              Instructions and download the client software:

                              http://www.obsolyte.com/fc/

                              I recommend having an old Windows machine or an old Mac (pre-OSX). Regardless, Windows will you give you some kind of DLL error when you first launch the client software, but it'll run (and not be Y2k compliant).

                              Plug "techrat.is-a-geek.com" into TCP/IP settings where it asks for 'Server' (see screenshots on the web page). If the system is still up, it will connect. Unless Verizon has started blocking port 3000.