PDP11 stuff available

  • David Gesswein
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 29, 2005
      Somebody in Pearl River New York has the following equipment available.
      He would prefer pickup but can ship if nobody offers pickup.

      Email pdp11stuff@... to contact him (protecting email from harvesting).
      If somebody is planning to take all email me otherwise I will post later
      to wider distribution lists.

      Two PDP Micro 11/73
      One Dec Professional 350
      One TS05 magnetic Tape Drive
      One Data Systems Design Floppy Drive - an RX02 look alike
      One FACS Consort 40 - an OEM 11/04
      Two Diablo 1620 printers - these were the printers that produced IBM
      typewriter quality output
      Two Texas Instruments Omni 800 printers - an LA120 equivalent
      One 874 Power Controller
      One VT100 terminal - has the special interface on the back that allows one
      of the Diablo printers to be used like a memory typewriter.
      I have most or all documentation for these devices as well and I may have
      one or two other miscellaneous items not yet dug out.
    • john_apw
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 30, 2005
        Evan and all,

        I've been in touch with the fellow, and will be able to arrange a
        pickup. Please let me know which of the item the museum would want.

        Also, for anyone in south NJ, I can be a relay station to shorten
        your trip. Just let me know what you want and we can arrange a
        pickup from here.

        -John
        Montclair, NJ
        973 220-0221 cell
        973 746-9535 business

        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, David Gesswein <djg@p...>
        wrote:
        > Somebody in Pearl River New York has the following equipment
        available.
        > He would prefer pickup but can ship if nobody offers pickup.
        >
        > Email pdp11stuff@p... to contact him (protecting email from
        harvesting).
        > If somebody is planning to take all email me otherwise I will post
        later
        > to wider distribution lists.
        >
        > Two PDP Micro 11/73
        > One Dec Professional 350
        > One TS05 magnetic Tape Drive
        > One Data Systems Design Floppy Drive - an RX02 look alike
        > One FACS Consort 40 - an OEM 11/04
        > Two Diablo 1620 printers - these were the printers that produced
        IBM
        > typewriter quality output
        > Two Texas Instruments Omni 800 printers - an LA120 equivalent
        > One 874 Power Controller
        > One VT100 terminal - has the special interface on the back that
        allows one
        > of the Diablo printers to be used like a memory typewriter.
        > I have most or all documentation for these devices as well and I
        may have
        > one or two other miscellaneous items not yet dug out.
      • Chris M
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 30, 2005
          he's supposedly holding the Pro 350 for me John. If
          you want to pick that up, and whatever else comes with
          it, I'd appreciate it.

          __________________________________
          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • john_apw
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 30, 2005
            Yes, he mentioned that he had that for you.

            No problem with getting it and holding it for you.

            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Chris M <chrism3667@y...>

            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 30, 2005
              John,

              One of the things I'd like to do down the road when we actually have a
              museum, is to set up a catalog of the collection on display with information
              on each item. This would be accessible to the public using terminals. It
              would be really cool if this system was running on something vintage - like a
              PDP 11/73. This would be a way to bring the collection to life in a way that
              is meaningful to the visitors.

              Now if we were to actually implment this, we would be spares of everything,
              so the museum could use just about everything on the list that is not already
              claimed. There is space to store this stuff at InfoAge, so let's get whatever
              we can.

              Jim

              --- john_apw <infomagic@...> wrote:

              > Evan and all,
              >
              > I've been in touch with the fellow, and will be able to arrange a
              > pickup. Please let me know which of the item the museum would want.
              >
              > Also, for anyone in south NJ, I can be a relay station to shorten
              > your trip. Just let me know what you want and we can arrange a
              > pickup from here.
              >
              > -John
              > Montclair, NJ
              > 973 220-0221 cell
              > 973 746-9535 business
              >

              > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, David Gesswein <djg@p...>
              > wrote:
              > > Somebody in Pearl River New York has the following equipment
              > available.
              > > He would prefer pickup but can ship if nobody offers pickup.
              > >
              > > Email pdp11stuff@p... to contact him (protecting email from
              > harvesting).
              > > If somebody is planning to take all email me otherwise I will post
              > later
              > > to wider distribution lists.
              > >
              > > Two PDP Micro 11/73
              > > One Dec Professional 350
              > > One TS05 magnetic Tape Drive
              > > One Data Systems Design Floppy Drive - an RX02 look alike
              > > One FACS Consort 40 - an OEM 11/04
              > > Two Diablo 1620 printers - these were the printers that produced
              > IBM
              > > typewriter quality output
              > > Two Texas Instruments Omni 800 printers - an LA120 equivalent
              > > One 874 Power Controller
              > > One VT100 terminal - has the special interface on the back that
              > allows one
              > > of the Diablo printers to be used like a memory typewriter.
              > > I have most or all documentation for these devices as well and I
              > may have
              > > one or two other miscellaneous items not yet dug out.

            • William Pechter
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
                Has anyone expressed interst in the Micro11/73's?

                I'd love to see 2.11 BSD up on one.

                Bill

              • Chris M
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
                  If you're going to be picking up any of it John, I
                  suggest you take all that you can for the museum, if
                  it's physically possible. Don't mean to load you down
                  with work (or PDP-11's!), it just seems a waste not to
                  take virtually anything. Parts could always be
                  scrounged. If I had the time, or moreover a sound
                  vehicle, I'd help out, but that's not the case right
                  now unfortunately. Just a suggestion.
                  And I'm hereby nominating Bill P. as the head of the
                  would love to see BSD 2.11 runnin' on the Micro 11/73
                  dep't. All in favor say AYE! ;D

                  __________________________________
                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
                    Bill,

                    I'm hoping that the museum can use both machines as a live, interactive part
                    of the exhibits. One as primary and the other as developement/backup. What I
                    envision would be an interactive catalog with information about the museum
                    exhibits that visitors could use via appropriately vintage terminals. BSD
                    would be a good choice for an OS as it would allow use of more current
                    software like My SQL. The key here is the "green screen" experience. Would
                    you be willing to help make this work?

                    Jim

                  • john_apw
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
                      Yes, the reasons I've gotten involved are:
                      1. to avoid all this stuff going to the dumpster,
                      2. to obtain as much as I can for the museum,
                      3. to help out those who would not be able to make the drive.

                      The fellow said he has other stuff not on the list, which he is also
                      willing to let me carry away. He mentioned 14" monitors with RS170
                      video - doesn't mean much to me, but he said they are particularly
                      suited to instrumentation devices... Anyway, I'll take them too,
                      assuming that if we can't use them, InfoAge might...???

                      Another item we discussed is of particular interest to me, and if
                      it's in working condition, I'll probably play with it for a few
                      months before giving it to the museum (along with my stuff).

                      In the meantime, John A. and someone from NJ/MD borderland --- was
                      it Bill D? I don't have my notes in front of me, sorry I forgot the
                      name momentarily --- have asked for 11/73s. Although I am curious
                      about them and would also like to play with one for awhile, I will
                      defer to the two who have already got experience with them.

                      As I stated a few times now, I'm trying to help people out (and the
                      museum), not to grab stuff for myself. I know there are a few people
                      who can't travel this far north conveniently, and I happen to have
                      some time and it's not too far. The last thing I want is for there
                      to be a problem with who gets what. So far, everyone on this list
                      has been helpful and generous, and I want it to stay that way.
                      Otherwise I wouldn't have gotten involved.

                      So, let me load the car (probably next week sometime), take
                      inventory, and give you a full report.

                      Thanks for your cooperation,
                      -John M. (in Montclair)

                      wrote:
                      > If you're going to be picking up any of it John, I
                      > suggest you take all that you can for the museum, if
                      > it's physically possible. Don't mean to load you down
                      > with work (or PDP-11's!), it just seems a waste not to
                      > take virtually anything. Parts could always be
                      > scrounged. If I had the time, or moreover a sound
                      > vehicle, I'd help out, but that's not the case right
                      > now unfortunately. Just a suggestion.
                      > And I'm hereby nominating Bill P. as the head of the
                      > would love to see BSD 2.11 runnin' on the Micro 11/73
                      > dep't. All in favor say AYE! ;D
                      >
                      > --- William Pechter <bpechter@y...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Has anyone expressed interst in the Micro11/73's?
                      > >
                      > > I'd love to see 2.11 BSD up on one.
                      > >
                      > > Bill
                      > >
                      > > --- Chris M <chrism3667@y...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > he's supposedly holding the Pro 350 for me John.
                      > > If
                      > > > you want to pick that up, and whatever else comes
                      > > with
                      > > > it, I'd appreciate it.

                    • Evan
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
                        Aye, matey!

                        wrote:

                        > > he's supposedly holding the Pro 350 for me
                        John.
                        > If
                        > > you want to pick that up, and whatever else
                        comes
                        > with
                        > > it, I'd appreciate it.
                        > >
                        > > --- john_apw <infomagic@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > Evan and all,
                        > > >
                        > > > I've been in touch
                        with the fellow, and will be
                        > able
                        > > > to arrange a
                        > > > pickup. Please let me know which of the item the
                        > > > museum would want.
                        > > >
                        > > > Also, for anyone in
                        south NJ, I can be a relay
                        > > > station to shorten
                        > > > your trip. Just let me know what you want and we
                        > can
                        > > > arrange a
                        > > > pickup from here.
                        > > >
                        > > > -John
                        > > > Montclair, NJ
                        > > > 973 220-0221
                        cell

                        <djg@p...>
                        Pearl River New York has the
                        > following
                        > > > equipment
                        > > > available.
                        can ship if nobody
                        > > > offers pickup.

                        (protecting
                        > > > email from
                        > > > harvesting).
                        > > > otherwise I will post
                        > > > later

                        to wider distribution lists.

                        PDP Micro 11/73
                        Design Floppy Drive - an RX02
                        > > > look alike
                        printers - these were the
                        > printers
                        > > > that produced
                        > > > IBM

                        LA120
                        > > > equivalent
                        Controller
                        > on
                        > > > the back that
                        > > > allows
                        one

                        memory
                        > > > typewriter.
                        documentation for these
                        > devices
                        > > > as well and I
                        > > > may have
                        > dug
                        > > > out.
                        > > >

                        > > __________________________________
                        > > Yahoo! Mail - PC
                        Magazine Editors' Choice 2005

                        href="http://mail.yahoo.com">http://mail.yahoo.com

                        __________________________________
                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • William Pechter
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 4, 2005
                          I don't think you'll ever get anything like mysql running on the PDP
                          because of it's limited address space.

                          Realistically you'd be better off with a green screen hooked to a
                          multiports card on a PC running a FreBSD or Linux.

                          There's almost nothing out there that will compile and build on a PDP.
                          GCC support stopped around v1.5 or so.

                          There was Unix SysIII and stuff -- (no virtual memory) or BSD 2.11 (no
                          virtual memory).

                          RT11/RSX11/RSTS are better but not obtainable legally unless the
                          software was legally transferred with the hardware.

                          It's been a long time since my DEC Field Service days, but I'll help
                          where time permits.

                          I've also got some old SparcII stuff and a VAXStation that I'd donate
                          to a good home or have 'em join the show somewhere.

                          They'll run more current stuff but they really are not as classic as
                          the PDP 11/73.

                          A real cool box (if I can find one) is the PDT11/150. I'm keeping my
                          eyes open -- I used to run multiterminal basic on RT11 on one and it
                          was slick in just 60kb of memory with three tubes running.

                          Bill

                        • billdeg@aol.com

                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 4, 2005
                              The only info I have is how to install it on an 11/70.

                              I'll do some checking with the author for further info.

                              Bill
                              --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                              > to see
                              > BSD 2.11 runnin' on the Micro 11/73 dep't. All in favor say AYE! ;D
                              >
                              > Aye, matey!
                              >
                              > _____

                              =Field+trip&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&c=4&s=84&.sig=t9pasmT3
                              > 2p-p2BvQtk8vAw> computer Field

                              +trip&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&c=4&s=84&.sig=Et_lpqgaXhbeqt
                              > lUXREsiw> trip Computer

                              2=Field+trip&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&c=4&s=84&.sig=lTI9crE
                              > 846HktRyJ9cnRXA> security
                              > Computer

                              2=Field+trip&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&c=4&s=84&.sig=vvepx7-
                              > O7ZQcFHPC0FpTNA> training
                              >
                              > _____
                              >
                              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                              >

                              > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro

                              > Service
                              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                              >

                              > _____

                            • Chris M
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                                I'm going to ask a weird and highly technical
                                question. Assuming someone wanted to get something
                                running on a puter it wasn't yet ported to, let's
                                think operating systems, which employ alot of low
                                level stuph, do you have to take into account changes
                                in room temperature when hand fitting portions of
                                code? I don't know what he was referring to, but
                                Andrew Tanenbaum stated something to that effect in
                                his text on MINIX - I forget the exact title. I don't
                                know what computer system he was referring to -
                                obviously he wrote the thing on early pc's, probably
                                completed the os is '86 or '87. I guess on early early
                                stuph this could have been the case, but on a pc??? If
                                this is the case it's skeery. I want out!
                                For those who didn't already know, MINIX was a cut
                                down UNIX clone that he wrote to illustrate operating
                                system principles. It served as the primary
                                inspiration for Linus Torvalds undertaking his own
                                UNIX clone, after his namesake, LINUX.

                                --- William Pechter <bpechter@...> wrote:

                                > The only info I have is how to install it on an
                                > 11/70.
                                >
                                > I'll do some checking with the author for further
                                > info.
                                >
                                > Bill

                                __________________________________
                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • John Allain
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                                  > I'm going to ask a weird and highly technical
                                  > question. Assuming someone wanted to get something
                                  > running on a puter it wasn't yet ported to, let's

                                  Stop. Using the word puter and you will get more
                                  answers from highly technical people. Simple.

                                  John A.
                                • chrism3667
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                                    If someone chooses not to answer because of my use, or admittedly
                                    abuse *jokingly* of a word here and there, they can keep their answers.
                                    I really don't care for answers from stuphy people. It's that simple...

                                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "John Allain" <allain@p...>
                                    wrote:
                                    > > I'm going to ask a weird and highly technical
                                    > > question. Assuming someone wanted to get something
                                    > > running on a puter it wasn't yet ported to, let's
                                    >
                                    > Stop. Using the word puter and you will get more
                                    > answers from highly technical people. Simple.
                                    >
                                    > John A.
                                  • Joe Giliberti
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                                      John Allain wrote:
                                      > I'm going to ask a weird and highly technical
                                      > question. Assuming someone wanted to get something
                                      > running on a puter it wasn't yet ported to, let's

                                      Stop.  Using the word puter and you will get more
                                      answers from highly technical people.  Simple.

                                      John A.

                                      Got a related question. Why do a lot of people on here spell place a ph where an f should be in certain words. Ex. "stuph"

                                      -Joe
                                    • chrism3667
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Joe Giliberti
                                        <starbase89@o...> wrote:

                                        > Got a related question. Why do a lot of people on here spell place a
                                        ph
                                        > where an f should be in certain words. Ex. "stuph"
                                        >
                                        > -Joe

                                        Dude I think you're imagining alot of people do it. It's just me :).
                                        It's my trademark expression. I might even have it copyrighted!
                                      • Joe Giliberti
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                                          chrism3667 wrote:

                                          > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Joe Giliberti
                                          > <starbase89@o...> wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > Got a related question. Why do a lot of people on here spell place a
                                          > ph
                                          > > where an f should be in certain words. Ex. "stuph"
                                          > >
                                          > > -Joe
                                          >
                                          > Dude I think you're imagining alot of people do it. It's just me :).
                                          > It's my trademark expression. I might even have it copyrighted!

                                          Then you most contribute a lot, because I've seen it a hell of a lot
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                                            I'm killing this thread. (Just as soon as the message system catches
                                            up, which at today's rate could be a while...)

                                            Whether we like Chris' choice of spelling or not, he is not breaking
                                            any rules.

                                            John: I'll send you an off-list message.

                                            To all: We can't tolerate anyone engaging in name-calling, i.e.
                                            "stuffy" (spelling aside).

                                            If anyone really ticks off anyone else, then please either ping me and
                                            I'll try to solve it off-list, or just take it up privately with each
                                            other.

                                            - Evan

                                            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "chrism3667"