Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [midatlanticretro] VCF Exhibit Rules and Categories

Expand Messages
  • Bill Degnan
    I know the rules, but my underlying point is that judging was not taken seriously last year. 1) Last year there was no judging by category. 2) I don t believe
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
    View Source
    • 0 Attachment
      I know the rules, but my underlying point is that judging was not taken
      seriously last year.
      1) Last year there was no judging by category.
      2) I don't believe the BOD members should be judges.

      Without exhibits this is just a symposium. The musuem and the exhibits are
      what makes this event unique and should not be taken for granted.

      Bill

      -------- Original Message --------
      > From: "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...>
      > Sent: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 10:35 AM
      > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] VCF Exhibit Rules and Categories
      >
      > > Please send the rules and categories for the VCF exhibits. Will there

      > > be judging and by whom? Having some sort of objective is motivational

      > > and will help encourage people to put in the maximum effort. I also
      > > think we should have a best newcomer prize. Emphasizing categories
      > > helps promote diversity in exhibits.
      > >
      > > Bill
      > Categories, defined by Sellam and uses for all editions of the VCF, are:
      > - microcomputer
      > - minicomputer / multiuser / large computer
      > - pda / handheld / calculators
      > - homebrew / kit / educational
      > - re-creation/ emulator/ contemporary enhancement
      >
      > Rules: Exhibits are just that -- to * exhibit * -- not to sell. VCF is
      > like a giant demo, not a flea market. But if people want to make some
      > deals on the side, then I didn't see anything. Just as long as there
      > aren't any overt "for sale" signs in your booth. Also: exhibits must
      > have a theme. No dumping random things on a table and saying "here's
      > all my vintage computer stuff" and calling it an exhibit. Even just
      > calling your exhibit "1970s microcomputers" is rather lame. Come up
      > with a real theme. Other rules: exhibitors must be there for BOTH days
      > unless pre-approved by me. Put some effort into making your exhibit
      > look nice, have flyers to give away, bring documentation, etc. Most of
      > all, have fun. That is an order. :)
      >
      > Judges -- to be determined. I asked Nick Lordi to be one of the judges
      > this year. Maybe I'll be another judge.
      >
      > Prizes -- also to be determined, but I guarantee there will be
      something.
      >
      >
      > ------------------------------------
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links
      >
      >
      >
    • jack99rubin
      ... Later versions of the drive cabinet took three drives vertically instead of two side-by-side. Come join us at SEBHC (Society of Eight Bit Heath
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
      View Source
      • 0 Attachment
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...> wrote:
        >
        > So I went and got the heathkit H8
        >
        > Its a WH8 meaning it was pre-built
        >
        > It's got the following boards (based off the stickers in the back of the unit)
        >
        > H8-5           Serial I/O and cassette interface (1200 baud)
        > three H8-1   8K static RAM board (4K installed)
        > three H8-3   4K of static RAM chips for H8-1 board
        >
        > What is odd is the triple disk drive unit... It has an external unit that has 3 drives and I cannot find an example of this.. It's also a heathkit drive system, but with three drives and not two..
        >
        Later versions of the drive cabinet took three drives vertically instead of two side-by-side. Come join us at SEBHC (Society of Eight Bit Heath Computerists)- www.sebhc.org - to learn more!

        Jack
      • Brian Cirulnick
        ... I have some political forcast software for the Apple II as well ... Now we can try and predict who will win the 1980 election!
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
        View Source
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...> wrote:
          >
          I have some political forcast software for the Apple II as well
          >
          ---------------

          Now we can try and predict who will win the 1980 election!

          :-)
        • Brian Cirulnick
          ... Yeah, you re a dumbass. I should probably say this offlist, but you re stupid for not calling me. You probably wasted money to rent a car, but I would have
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
          View Source
          • 0 Attachment
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...> wrote:
            >
            > Needless to say I have more $$ than brains and I don't have much $$$
            ----------

            Yeah, you're a dumbass. I should probably say this offlist, but you're stupid for not calling me. You probably wasted money to rent a car, but I would have loaned you the Jetta or just gone with you to get it...

            Anyhow.

            (Doing the anime thing and pulling down my eyelid) Myahh!
          • Brian Cirulnick
            ... That s because Infoage doesn t have enough electricity to power a SAGE.
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
            View Source
            • 0 Attachment
              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:
              >
              > On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Evan Koblentz wrote:
              >
              > >> unless I can show non working machines
              > > Nope! VCF requirement: majority of the machines in the exhibit must be
              > > alive and running.
              >
              > ...unless it's a SAGE. :-)
              >
              -----------------

              That's because Infoage doesn't have enough electricity to power a SAGE.
            • Christian Liendo
              yea.. you should have said that off list. ... From: Brian Cirulnick Subject: [midatlanticretro] Re: Got the Heathkit H8 To:
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
              View Source
              • 0 Attachment
                yea.. you should have said that off list.

                --- On Wed, 7/1/09, Brian Cirulnick <techrat@...> wrote:

                From: Brian Cirulnick <techrat@...>
                Subject: [midatlanticretro] Re: Got the Heathkit H8
                To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Wednesday, July 1, 2009, 2:56 PM

                --- In midatlanticretro@ yahoogroups. com, Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@ ...> wrote:
                >
                > Needless to say I have more $$ than brains and I don't have much $$$
                ----------

                Yeah, you're a dumbass. I should probably say this offlist, but you're stupid for not calling me. You probably wasted money to rent a car, but I would have loaned you the Jetta or just gone with you to get it...

                Anyhow.

                (Doing the anime thing and pulling down my eyelid) Myahh!


              • Bill Degnan
                LOL ... stupid for not calling me. You probably wasted money to rent a car, but I would have loaned you the Jetta or just gone with you to get it...
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
                View Source
                • 0 Attachment
                  LOL

                  -------- Original Message --------
                  > From: "Christian Liendo" <christian_liendo@...>
                  > Sent: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 3:00 PM
                  > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Got the Heathkit H8
                  >
                  > yea.. you should have said that off list.
                  >
                  > --- On Wed, 7/1/09, Brian Cirulnick <techrat@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > From: Brian Cirulnick <techrat@...>
                  > Subject: [midatlanticretro] Re: Got the Heathkit H8
                  > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                  > Date: Wednesday, July 1, 2009, 2:56 PM
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > --- In midatlanticretro@ yahoogroups. com, Christian Liendo
                  <christian_liendo@ ...> wrote:
                  >
                  > >
                  >
                  > > Needless to say I have more $$ than brains and I don't have much $$$
                  >
                  > ----------
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > Yeah, you're a dumbass. I should probably say this offlist, but you're
                  stupid for not calling me. You probably wasted money to rent a car, but I
                  would have loaned you the Jetta or just gone with you to get it...
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > Anyhow.
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > (Doing the anime thing and pulling down my eyelid) Myahh!
                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.