Re: [midatlanticretro] VCF Exhibit Rules and Categories

    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 1 7:32 AM
      > Please send the rules and categories for the VCF exhibits. Will there
      > be judging and by whom? Having some sort of objective is motivational
      > and will help encourage people to put in the maximum effort. I also
      > think we should have a best newcomer prize. Emphasizing categories
      > helps promote diversity in exhibits.
      >
      > Bill
      Categories, defined by Sellam and uses for all editions of the VCF, are:
      - microcomputer
      - minicomputer / multiuser / large computer
      - pda / handheld / calculators
      - homebrew / kit / educational
      - re-creation/ emulator/ contemporary enhancement

      Rules: Exhibits are just that -- to * exhibit * -- not to sell. VCF is
      like a giant demo, not a flea market. But if people want to make some
      deals on the side, then I didn't see anything. Just as long as there
      aren't any overt "for sale" signs in your booth. Also: exhibits must
      have a theme. No dumping random things on a table and saying "here's
      all my vintage computer stuff" and calling it an exhibit. Even just
      calling your exhibit "1970s microcomputers" is rather lame. Come up
      with a real theme. Other rules: exhibitors must be there for BOTH days
      unless pre-approved by me. Put some effort into making your exhibit
      look nice, have flyers to give away, bring documentation, etc. Most of
      all, have fun. That is an order. :)

      Judges -- to be determined. I asked Nick Lordi to be one of the judges
      this year. Maybe I'll be another judge.

      Prizes -- also to be determined, but I guarantee there will be something.
    • Bill Degnan
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 1 8:08 AM
        I know the rules, but my underlying point is that judging was not taken
        seriously last year.
        1) Last year there was no judging by category.
        2) I don't believe the BOD members should be judges.

        Without exhibits this is just a symposium. The musuem and the exhibits are
        what makes this event unique and should not be taken for granted.

        Bill

        > > Please send the rules and categories for the VCF exhibits. Will there

        > > be judging and by whom? Having some sort of objective is motivational

        > > and will help encourage people to put in the maximum effort. I also
        > > think we should have a best newcomer prize. Emphasizing categories
        > > helps promote diversity in exhibits.
        > >
        > > Bill
        > Categories, defined by Sellam and uses for all editions of the VCF, are:
        > - microcomputer
        > - minicomputer / multiuser / large computer
        > - pda / handheld / calculators
        > - homebrew / kit / educational
        > - re-creation/ emulator/ contemporary enhancement
        >
        > Rules: Exhibits are just that -- to * exhibit * -- not to sell. VCF is
        > like a giant demo, not a flea market. But if people want to make some
        > deals on the side, then I didn't see anything. Just as long as there
        > aren't any overt "for sale" signs in your booth. Also: exhibits must
        > have a theme. No dumping random things on a table and saying "here's
        > all my vintage computer stuff" and calling it an exhibit. Even just
        > calling your exhibit "1970s microcomputers" is rather lame. Come up
        > with a real theme. Other rules: exhibitors must be there for BOTH days
        > unless pre-approved by me. Put some effort into making your exhibit
        > look nice, have flyers to give away, bring documentation, etc. Most of
        > all, have fun. That is an order. :)
        >
        > Judges -- to be determined. I asked Nick Lordi to be one of the judges
        > this year. Maybe I'll be another judge.
        >
        > Prizes -- also to be determined, but I guarantee there will be
        something.

      • jack99rubin
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 1 9:14 AM

          > So I went and got the heathkit H8
          >
          > Its a WH8 meaning it was pre-built
          >
          > It's got the following boards (based off the stickers in the back of the unit)
          >
          > H8-5           Serial I/O and cassette interface (1200 baud)
          > three H8-1   8K static RAM board (4K installed)
          > three H8-3   4K of static RAM chips for H8-1 board
          >
          > What is odd is the triple disk drive unit... It has an external unit that has 3 drives and I cannot find an example of this.. It's also a heathkit drive system, but with three drives and not two..

          Later versions of the drive cabinet took three drives vertically instead of two side-by-side. Come join us at SEBHC (Society of Eight Bit Heath Computerists)- www.sebhc.org - to learn more!

          Jack
        • Brian Cirulnick
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 1 11:45 AM

            I have some political forcast software for the Apple II as well

            ---------------

            Now we can try and predict who will win the 1980 election!

            :-)
          • Brian Cirulnick
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 1 11:56 AM

              > Needless to say I have more $$ than brains and I don't have much $$$
              ----------

              Yeah, you're a dumbass. I should probably say this offlist, but you're stupid for not calling me. You probably wasted money to rent a car, but I would have loaned you the Jetta or just gone with you to get it...

              Anyhow.

              (Doing the anime thing and pulling down my eyelid) Myahh!
            • Brian Cirulnick
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 1 11:59 AM

                > On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                >
                > >> unless I can show non working machines
                > > Nope! VCF requirement: majority of the machines in the exhibit must be
                > > alive and running.
                >
                > ...unless it's a SAGE. :-)

                That's because Infoage doesn't have enough electricity to power a SAGE.
              • Christian Liendo
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 1 11:59 AM
                  yea.. you should have said that off list.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 1 12:47 PM
                    LOL