OASIS/Jim She's Dead (was Altos "Serie 5" 5-AD Computer)

  • billdeg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2005
      Andy,
      No OASIS, MP/M was loaded on the hard drive.. There are no disks. My first
      goal was to back up the data on the hard drive....but..

      The system died last night. I had it up for a few hours and then tried a
      disk read...The system started making noises flashed a bunch of parity error 96
      messages on the screen...and never came back to life.

      I opened up the box, but I'd have to take the whole thing apart to diagnose
      the problem, so I stopped. I am pretty sure the hard drive (Seagate 506) is
      OK, but something is preventing the boot sequence from initiating. The fan
      comes on the system light comes on, and that's about it. I believe that the
      system is serviceable, maybe. Frustrating. It's always a shame to lose a cool
      system.

      To make myself feel better I took two broken Commodore 64's apart and made
      one working one. :-)

      Bill D
    • chrism3667
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 28, 2005
        there's a good possibility you just need a new ram chip, specifically
        the ninth in the series, in fact, the parity chip. Really knowing
        nothing about computers or electronics way back when, my Tandy 2000
        displayed a "memory parity error" on the screen in the middle of a
        chess game. I pulled out the memory daughterboard, which granted was
        alot easier then working off the motherboard, and desoldered what I
        believed to be the parity chip, soldered in a socket, and plugged a
        fresh 4164 or whatever into it. Sho' 'nuff, it came back to life. Had
        to learn how to use a desoldering wick and all. And keep in mind, the
        best way to desolder something is to add a little solder first.
        It could be any of the ram chips though actually I suppose, or another
        problem altogether. But I'm guessing it's likely that.
        And one day I'm going to invest in a desoldering station. I'd have to
        say a must if you're going to be working on this stuph.