RE: [midatlanticretro] VCF Exhibit Rules and Categories

  • Kelly D. Leavitt
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
      And I need inspiration. With all the junk^H^H^H^Hgreat machines I have I should be able to come up with SOMETHING. So far the muse is just snickering in her corner...

      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
        > Please send the rules and categories for the VCF exhibits. Will there
        > be judging and by whom? Having some sort of objective is motivational
        > and will help encourage people to put in the maximum effort. I also
        > think we should have a best newcomer prize. Emphasizing categories
        > helps promote diversity in exhibits.
        >
        > Bill
        Categories, defined by Sellam and uses for all editions of the VCF, are:
        - microcomputer
        - minicomputer / multiuser / large computer
        - pda / handheld / calculators
        - homebrew / kit / educational
        - re-creation/ emulator/ contemporary enhancement

        Rules: Exhibits are just that -- to * exhibit * -- not to sell. VCF is
        like a giant demo, not a flea market. But if people want to make some
        deals on the side, then I didn't see anything. Just as long as there
        aren't any overt "for sale" signs in your booth. Also: exhibits must
        have a theme. No dumping random things on a table and saying "here's
        all my vintage computer stuff" and calling it an exhibit. Even just
        calling your exhibit "1970s microcomputers" is rather lame. Come up
        with a real theme. Other rules: exhibitors must be there for BOTH days
        unless pre-approved by me. Put some effort into making your exhibit
        look nice, have flyers to give away, bring documentation, etc. Most of
        all, have fun. That is an order. :)

        Judges -- to be determined. I asked Nick Lordi to be one of the judges
        this year. Maybe I'll be another judge.

        Prizes -- also to be determined, but I guarantee there will be something.
      • Bill Degnan
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
          I know the rules, but my underlying point is that judging was not taken
          seriously last year.
          1) Last year there was no judging by category.
          2) I don't believe the BOD members should be judges.

          Without exhibits this is just a symposium. The musuem and the exhibits are
          what makes this event unique and should not be taken for granted.

          Bill

          > > Please send the rules and categories for the VCF exhibits. Will there

          > > be judging and by whom? Having some sort of objective is motivational

          > > and will help encourage people to put in the maximum effort. I also
          > > think we should have a best newcomer prize. Emphasizing categories
          > > helps promote diversity in exhibits.
          > >
          > > Bill
          > Categories, defined by Sellam and uses for all editions of the VCF, are:
          > - microcomputer
          > - minicomputer / multiuser / large computer
          > - pda / handheld / calculators
          > - homebrew / kit / educational
          > - re-creation/ emulator/ contemporary enhancement
          >
          > Rules: Exhibits are just that -- to * exhibit * -- not to sell. VCF is
          > like a giant demo, not a flea market. But if people want to make some
          > deals on the side, then I didn't see anything. Just as long as there
          > aren't any overt "for sale" signs in your booth. Also: exhibits must
          > have a theme. No dumping random things on a table and saying "here's
          > all my vintage computer stuff" and calling it an exhibit. Even just
          > calling your exhibit "1970s microcomputers" is rather lame. Come up
          > with a real theme. Other rules: exhibitors must be there for BOTH days
          > unless pre-approved by me. Put some effort into making your exhibit
          > look nice, have flyers to give away, bring documentation, etc. Most of
          > all, have fun. That is an order. :)
          >
          > Judges -- to be determined. I asked Nick Lordi to be one of the judges
          > this year. Maybe I'll be another judge.
          >
          > Prizes -- also to be determined, but I guarantee there will be
          something.

        • jack99rubin
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009

            > So I went and got the heathkit H8
            >
            > Its a WH8 meaning it was pre-built
            >
            > It's got the following boards (based off the stickers in the back of the unit)
            >
            > H8-5           Serial I/O and cassette interface (1200 baud)
            > three H8-1   8K static RAM board (4K installed)
            > three H8-3   4K of static RAM chips for H8-1 board
            >
            > What is odd is the triple disk drive unit... It has an external unit that has 3 drives and I cannot find an example of this.. It's also a heathkit drive system, but with three drives and not two..

            Later versions of the drive cabinet took three drives vertically instead of two side-by-side. Come join us at SEBHC (Society of Eight Bit Heath Computerists)- www.sebhc.org - to learn more!

            Jack
          • Brian Cirulnick
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009

              I have some political forcast software for the Apple II as well

              ---------------

              Now we can try and predict who will win the 1980 election!

              :-)
            • Brian Cirulnick
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009

                > Needless to say I have more $$ than brains and I don't have much $$$
                ----------

                Yeah, you're a dumbass. I should probably say this offlist, but you're stupid for not calling me. You probably wasted money to rent a car, but I would have loaned you the Jetta or just gone with you to get it...

                Anyhow.

                (Doing the anime thing and pulling down my eyelid) Myahh!
              • Brian Cirulnick
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009

                  > On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                  >
                  > >> unless I can show non working machines
                  > > Nope! VCF requirement: majority of the machines in the exhibit must be
                  > > alive and running.
                  >
                  > ...unless it's a SAGE. :-)

                  That's because Infoage doesn't have enough electricity to power a SAGE.
                • Christian Liendo
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
                    yea.. you should have said that off list.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
                      LOL