Re: [midatlanticretro] Got the Heathkit H8

    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
      > If I have free time tonight (I have a female friend from Yokohama in
      > town) I might disconnect the power supply and see if it works.
      By all means Chris, work on the H8. I'll keep your friend occupied. :)
    • Kelly D. Leavitt
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
        And I need inspiration. With all the junk^H^H^H^Hgreat machines I have I should be able to come up with SOMETHING. So far the muse is just snickering in her corner...

        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
          > Please send the rules and categories for the VCF exhibits. Will there
          > be judging and by whom? Having some sort of objective is motivational
          > and will help encourage people to put in the maximum effort. I also
          > think we should have a best newcomer prize. Emphasizing categories
          > helps promote diversity in exhibits.
          >
          > Bill
          Categories, defined by Sellam and uses for all editions of the VCF, are:
          - microcomputer
          - minicomputer / multiuser / large computer
          - pda / handheld / calculators
          - homebrew / kit / educational
          - re-creation/ emulator/ contemporary enhancement

          Rules: Exhibits are just that -- to * exhibit * -- not to sell. VCF is
          like a giant demo, not a flea market. But if people want to make some
          deals on the side, then I didn't see anything. Just as long as there
          aren't any overt "for sale" signs in your booth. Also: exhibits must
          have a theme. No dumping random things on a table and saying "here's
          all my vintage computer stuff" and calling it an exhibit. Even just
          calling your exhibit "1970s microcomputers" is rather lame. Come up
          with a real theme. Other rules: exhibitors must be there for BOTH days
          unless pre-approved by me. Put some effort into making your exhibit
          look nice, have flyers to give away, bring documentation, etc. Most of
          all, have fun. That is an order. :)

          Judges -- to be determined. I asked Nick Lordi to be one of the judges
          this year. Maybe I'll be another judge.

          Prizes -- also to be determined, but I guarantee there will be something.
        • Bill Degnan
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
            I know the rules, but my underlying point is that judging was not taken
            seriously last year.
            1) Last year there was no judging by category.
            2) I don't believe the BOD members should be judges.

            Without exhibits this is just a symposium. The musuem and the exhibits are
            what makes this event unique and should not be taken for granted.

            Bill

            > > Please send the rules and categories for the VCF exhibits. Will there

            > > be judging and by whom? Having some sort of objective is motivational

            > > and will help encourage people to put in the maximum effort. I also
            > > think we should have a best newcomer prize. Emphasizing categories
            > > helps promote diversity in exhibits.
            > >
            > > Bill
            > Categories, defined by Sellam and uses for all editions of the VCF, are:
            > - microcomputer
            > - minicomputer / multiuser / large computer
            > - pda / handheld / calculators
            > - homebrew / kit / educational
            > - re-creation/ emulator/ contemporary enhancement
            >
            > Rules: Exhibits are just that -- to * exhibit * -- not to sell. VCF is
            > like a giant demo, not a flea market. But if people want to make some
            > deals on the side, then I didn't see anything. Just as long as there
            > aren't any overt "for sale" signs in your booth. Also: exhibits must
            > have a theme. No dumping random things on a table and saying "here's
            > all my vintage computer stuff" and calling it an exhibit. Even just
            > calling your exhibit "1970s microcomputers" is rather lame. Come up
            > with a real theme. Other rules: exhibitors must be there for BOTH days
            > unless pre-approved by me. Put some effort into making your exhibit
            > look nice, have flyers to give away, bring documentation, etc. Most of
            > all, have fun. That is an order. :)
            >
            > Judges -- to be determined. I asked Nick Lordi to be one of the judges
            > this year. Maybe I'll be another judge.
            >
            > Prizes -- also to be determined, but I guarantee there will be
            something.

          • jack99rubin
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009

              > So I went and got the heathkit H8
              >
              > Its a WH8 meaning it was pre-built
              >
              > It's got the following boards (based off the stickers in the back of the unit)
              >
              > H8-5           Serial I/O and cassette interface (1200 baud)
              > three H8-1   8K static RAM board (4K installed)
              > three H8-3   4K of static RAM chips for H8-1 board
              >
              > What is odd is the triple disk drive unit... It has an external unit that has 3 drives and I cannot find an example of this.. It's also a heathkit drive system, but with three drives and not two..

              Later versions of the drive cabinet took three drives vertically instead of two side-by-side. Come join us at SEBHC (Society of Eight Bit Heath Computerists)- www.sebhc.org - to learn more!

              Jack
            • Brian Cirulnick
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009

                I have some political forcast software for the Apple II as well

                ---------------

                Now we can try and predict who will win the 1980 election!

                :-)
              • Brian Cirulnick
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009

                  > Needless to say I have more $$ than brains and I don't have much $$$
                  ----------

                  Yeah, you're a dumbass. I should probably say this offlist, but you're stupid for not calling me. You probably wasted money to rent a car, but I would have loaned you the Jetta or just gone with you to get it...

                  Anyhow.

                  (Doing the anime thing and pulling down my eyelid) Myahh!
                • Brian Cirulnick
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009

                    > On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                    >
                    > >> unless I can show non working machines
                    > > Nope! VCF requirement: majority of the machines in the exhibit must be
                    > > alive and running.
                    >
                    > ...unless it's a SAGE. :-)

                    That's because Infoage doesn't have enough electricity to power a SAGE.
                  • Christian Liendo
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
                      yea.. you should have said that off list.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
                        LOL