Re: [midatlanticretro] Got the Heathkit H8

  • Christian Liendo
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
      I have to say, this bugger is WELL BUILT.

      I mean it's rusty and has mouse droppings all over it, but otherwise it's really nice.

      If I have free time tonight (I have a female friend from Yokohama in town) I might disconnect the power supply and see if it works. Then I may try and light this thing up.

      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
        > If I have free time tonight (I have a female friend from Yokohama in
        > town) I might disconnect the power supply and see if it works.
        By all means Chris, work on the H8. I'll keep your friend occupied. :)
      • Kelly D. Leavitt
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
          And I need inspiration. With all the junk^H^H^H^Hgreat machines I have I should be able to come up with SOMETHING. So far the muse is just snickering in her corner...

          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
            > Please send the rules and categories for the VCF exhibits. Will there
            > be judging and by whom? Having some sort of objective is motivational
            > and will help encourage people to put in the maximum effort. I also
            > think we should have a best newcomer prize. Emphasizing categories
            > helps promote diversity in exhibits.
            >
            > Bill
            Categories, defined by Sellam and uses for all editions of the VCF, are:
            - microcomputer
            - minicomputer / multiuser / large computer
            - pda / handheld / calculators
            - homebrew / kit / educational
            - re-creation/ emulator/ contemporary enhancement

            Rules: Exhibits are just that -- to * exhibit * -- not to sell. VCF is
            like a giant demo, not a flea market. But if people want to make some
            deals on the side, then I didn't see anything. Just as long as there
            aren't any overt "for sale" signs in your booth. Also: exhibits must
            have a theme. No dumping random things on a table and saying "here's
            all my vintage computer stuff" and calling it an exhibit. Even just
            calling your exhibit "1970s microcomputers" is rather lame. Come up
            with a real theme. Other rules: exhibitors must be there for BOTH days
            unless pre-approved by me. Put some effort into making your exhibit
            look nice, have flyers to give away, bring documentation, etc. Most of
            all, have fun. That is an order. :)

            Judges -- to be determined. I asked Nick Lordi to be one of the judges
            this year. Maybe I'll be another judge.

            Prizes -- also to be determined, but I guarantee there will be something.
          • Bill Degnan
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
              I know the rules, but my underlying point is that judging was not taken
              seriously last year.
              1) Last year there was no judging by category.
              2) I don't believe the BOD members should be judges.

              Without exhibits this is just a symposium. The musuem and the exhibits are
              what makes this event unique and should not be taken for granted.

              Bill

              > > Please send the rules and categories for the VCF exhibits. Will there

              > > be judging and by whom? Having some sort of objective is motivational

              > > and will help encourage people to put in the maximum effort. I also
              > > think we should have a best newcomer prize. Emphasizing categories
              > > helps promote diversity in exhibits.
              > >
              > > Bill
              > Categories, defined by Sellam and uses for all editions of the VCF, are:
              > - microcomputer
              > - minicomputer / multiuser / large computer
              > - pda / handheld / calculators
              > - homebrew / kit / educational
              > - re-creation/ emulator/ contemporary enhancement
              >
              > Rules: Exhibits are just that -- to * exhibit * -- not to sell. VCF is
              > like a giant demo, not a flea market. But if people want to make some
              > deals on the side, then I didn't see anything. Just as long as there
              > aren't any overt "for sale" signs in your booth. Also: exhibits must
              > have a theme. No dumping random things on a table and saying "here's
              > all my vintage computer stuff" and calling it an exhibit. Even just
              > calling your exhibit "1970s microcomputers" is rather lame. Come up
              > with a real theme. Other rules: exhibitors must be there for BOTH days
              > unless pre-approved by me. Put some effort into making your exhibit
              > look nice, have flyers to give away, bring documentation, etc. Most of
              > all, have fun. That is an order. :)
              >
              > Judges -- to be determined. I asked Nick Lordi to be one of the judges
              > this year. Maybe I'll be another judge.
              >
              > Prizes -- also to be determined, but I guarantee there will be
              something.

            • jack99rubin
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009

                > So I went and got the heathkit H8
                >
                > Its a WH8 meaning it was pre-built
                >
                > It's got the following boards (based off the stickers in the back of the unit)
                >
                > H8-5           Serial I/O and cassette interface (1200 baud)
                > three H8-1   8K static RAM board (4K installed)
                > three H8-3   4K of static RAM chips for H8-1 board
                >
                > What is odd is the triple disk drive unit... It has an external unit that has 3 drives and I cannot find an example of this.. It's also a heathkit drive system, but with three drives and not two..

                Later versions of the drive cabinet took three drives vertically instead of two side-by-side. Come join us at SEBHC (Society of Eight Bit Heath Computerists)- www.sebhc.org - to learn more!

                Jack
              • Brian Cirulnick
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009

                  I have some political forcast software for the Apple II as well

                  ---------------

                  Now we can try and predict who will win the 1980 election!

                  :-)
                • Brian Cirulnick
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009

                    > Needless to say I have more $$ than brains and I don't have much $$$
                    ----------

                    Yeah, you're a dumbass. I should probably say this offlist, but you're stupid for not calling me. You probably wasted money to rent a car, but I would have loaned you the Jetta or just gone with you to get it...

                    Anyhow.

                    (Doing the anime thing and pulling down my eyelid) Myahh!
                  • Brian Cirulnick
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009

                      > On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                      >
                      > >> unless I can show non working machines
                      > > Nope! VCF requirement: majority of the machines in the exhibit must be
                      > > alive and running.
                      >
                      > ...unless it's a SAGE. :-)

                      That's because Infoage doesn't have enough electricity to power a SAGE.
                    • Christian Liendo
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
                        yea.. you should have said that off list.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
                          LOL