Re: [midatlanticretro] Got the Heathkit H8

  • Mr Ian Primus
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
      --- On Tue, 6/30/09, Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

      >What
      >is odd is the triple disk drive unit... It has an external unit that
      >has 3 drives and I cannot find an example of this.. It's also a
      >heathkit drive system, but with three drives and not two..

      Yeah, I have one of those too. It's not factory - it got modified along the way. Look closely and you'll see where someone cut the front, and mounted drives vertically instead of horizontally. So, it _started_ life as a standard two drive unit - and got upgraded.

      -Ian
    • Christian Liendo
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
        I have to say, this bugger is WELL BUILT.

        I mean it's rusty and has mouse droppings all over it, but otherwise it's really nice.

        If I have free time tonight (I have a female friend from Yokohama in town) I might disconnect the power supply and see if it works. Then I may try and light this thing up.

        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
          > If I have free time tonight (I have a female friend from Yokohama in
          > town) I might disconnect the power supply and see if it works.
          By all means Chris, work on the H8. I'll keep your friend occupied. :)
        • Kelly D. Leavitt
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
            And I need inspiration. With all the junk^H^H^H^Hgreat machines I have I should be able to come up with SOMETHING. So far the muse is just snickering in her corner...

            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
              > Please send the rules and categories for the VCF exhibits. Will there
              > be judging and by whom? Having some sort of objective is motivational
              > and will help encourage people to put in the maximum effort. I also
              > think we should have a best newcomer prize. Emphasizing categories
              > helps promote diversity in exhibits.
              >
              > Bill
              Categories, defined by Sellam and uses for all editions of the VCF, are:
              - microcomputer
              - minicomputer / multiuser / large computer
              - pda / handheld / calculators
              - homebrew / kit / educational
              - re-creation/ emulator/ contemporary enhancement

              Rules: Exhibits are just that -- to * exhibit * -- not to sell. VCF is
              like a giant demo, not a flea market. But if people want to make some
              deals on the side, then I didn't see anything. Just as long as there
              aren't any overt "for sale" signs in your booth. Also: exhibits must
              have a theme. No dumping random things on a table and saying "here's
              all my vintage computer stuff" and calling it an exhibit. Even just
              calling your exhibit "1970s microcomputers" is rather lame. Come up
              with a real theme. Other rules: exhibitors must be there for BOTH days
              unless pre-approved by me. Put some effort into making your exhibit
              look nice, have flyers to give away, bring documentation, etc. Most of
              all, have fun. That is an order. :)

              Judges -- to be determined. I asked Nick Lordi to be one of the judges
              this year. Maybe I'll be another judge.

              Prizes -- also to be determined, but I guarantee there will be something.
            • Bill Degnan
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
                I know the rules, but my underlying point is that judging was not taken
                seriously last year.
                1) Last year there was no judging by category.
                2) I don't believe the BOD members should be judges.

                Without exhibits this is just a symposium. The musuem and the exhibits are
                what makes this event unique and should not be taken for granted.

                Bill

                > > Please send the rules and categories for the VCF exhibits. Will there

                > > be judging and by whom? Having some sort of objective is motivational

                > > and will help encourage people to put in the maximum effort. I also
                > > think we should have a best newcomer prize. Emphasizing categories
                > > helps promote diversity in exhibits.
                > >
                > > Bill
                > Categories, defined by Sellam and uses for all editions of the VCF, are:
                > - microcomputer
                > - minicomputer / multiuser / large computer
                > - pda / handheld / calculators
                > - homebrew / kit / educational
                > - re-creation/ emulator/ contemporary enhancement
                >
                > Rules: Exhibits are just that -- to * exhibit * -- not to sell. VCF is
                > like a giant demo, not a flea market. But if people want to make some
                > deals on the side, then I didn't see anything. Just as long as there
                > aren't any overt "for sale" signs in your booth. Also: exhibits must
                > have a theme. No dumping random things on a table and saying "here's
                > all my vintage computer stuff" and calling it an exhibit. Even just
                > calling your exhibit "1970s microcomputers" is rather lame. Come up
                > with a real theme. Other rules: exhibitors must be there for BOTH days
                > unless pre-approved by me. Put some effort into making your exhibit
                > look nice, have flyers to give away, bring documentation, etc. Most of
                > all, have fun. That is an order. :)
                >
                > Judges -- to be determined. I asked Nick Lordi to be one of the judges
                > this year. Maybe I'll be another judge.
                >
                > Prizes -- also to be determined, but I guarantee there will be
                something.

              • jack99rubin
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009

                  > So I went and got the heathkit H8
                  >
                  > Its a WH8 meaning it was pre-built
                  >
                  > It's got the following boards (based off the stickers in the back of the unit)
                  >
                  > H8-5           Serial I/O and cassette interface (1200 baud)
                  > three H8-1   8K static RAM board (4K installed)
                  > three H8-3   4K of static RAM chips for H8-1 board
                  >
                  > What is odd is the triple disk drive unit... It has an external unit that has 3 drives and I cannot find an example of this.. It's also a heathkit drive system, but with three drives and not two..

                  Later versions of the drive cabinet took three drives vertically instead of two side-by-side. Come join us at SEBHC (Society of Eight Bit Heath Computerists)- www.sebhc.org - to learn more!

                  Jack
                • Brian Cirulnick
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009

                    I have some political forcast software for the Apple II as well

                    ---------------

                    Now we can try and predict who will win the 1980 election!

                    :-)
                  • Brian Cirulnick
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009

                      > Needless to say I have more $$ than brains and I don't have much $$$
                      ----------

                      Yeah, you're a dumbass. I should probably say this offlist, but you're stupid for not calling me. You probably wasted money to rent a car, but I would have loaned you the Jetta or just gone with you to get it...

                      Anyhow.

                      (Doing the anime thing and pulling down my eyelid) Myahh!
                    • Brian Cirulnick
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009

                        > On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                        >
                        > >> unless I can show non working machines
                        > > Nope! VCF requirement: majority of the machines in the exhibit must be
                        > > alive and running.
                        >
                        > ...unless it's a SAGE. :-)

                        That's because Infoage doesn't have enough electricity to power a SAGE.
                      • Christian Liendo
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
                          yea.. you should have said that off list.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
                            LOL