Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

VCF Exhibit Rules and Categories

Expand Messages
  • B Degnan
    ... Evan, Please send the rules and categories for the VCF exhibits. Will there be judging and by whom? Having some sort of objective is motivational and
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
    • 0 Attachment
      Mike Loewen wrote:
      On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Evan Koblentz wrote:
      
        
      unless I can show non working machines
            
      Nope!  VCF requirement: majority of the machines in the exhibit must be
      alive and running.
          
          ...unless it's a SAGE.  :-)
      
      
        
      Evan,

      Please send the rules and categories for the VCF exhibits.  Will there be judging and by whom?  Having some sort of objective is motivational and will help encourage people to put in the maximum effort.  I also think we should have a best newcomer prize.    Emphasizing categories helps promote diversity in exhibits.

      Bill
    • Mr Ian Primus
      ... Yeah, I have one of those too. It s not factory - it got modified along the way. Look closely and you ll see where someone cut the front, and mounted
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
      • 0 Attachment
        --- On Tue, 6/30/09, Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

        >What
        >is odd is the triple disk drive unit... It has an external unit that
        >has 3 drives and I cannot find an example of this.. It's also a
        >heathkit drive system, but with three drives and not two..

        Yeah, I have one of those too. It's not factory - it got modified along the way. Look closely and you'll see where someone cut the front, and mounted drives vertically instead of horizontally. So, it _started_ life as a standard two drive unit - and got upgraded.

        -Ian
      • Christian Liendo
        I have to say, this bugger is WELL BUILT. I mean it s rusty and has mouse droppings all over it, but otherwise it s really nice. If I have free time tonight (I
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
        • 0 Attachment
          I have to say, this bugger is WELL BUILT.

          I mean it's rusty and has mouse droppings all over it, but otherwise it's really nice.

          If I have free time tonight (I have a female friend from Yokohama in town) I might disconnect the power supply and see if it works. Then I may try and light this thing up. 


          --- On Wed, 7/1/09, Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...> wrote:

          From: Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...>
          Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Got the Heathkit H8
          To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Wednesday, July 1, 2009, 9:07 AM



          --- On Tue, 6/30/09, Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@ yahoo.com> wrote:

          >What
          >is odd is the triple disk drive unit... It has an external unit that
          >has 3 drives and I cannot find an example of this.. It's also a
          >heathkit drive system, but with three drives and not two...

          Yeah, I have one of those too. It's not factory - it got modified along the way. Look closely and you'll see where someone cut the front, and mounted drives vertically instead of horizontally. So, it _started_ life as a standard two drive unit - and got upgraded.

          -Ian


        • Evan Koblentz
          ... By all means Chris, work on the H8. I ll keep your friend occupied. :)
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
          • 0 Attachment
            > If I have free time tonight (I have a female friend from Yokohama in
            > town) I might disconnect the power supply and see if it works.
            By all means Chris, work on the H8. I'll keep your friend occupied. :)
          • Kelly D. Leavitt
            And I need inspiration. With all the junk^H^H^H^Hgreat machines I have I should be able to come up with SOMETHING. So far the muse is just snickering in her
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
            • 0 Attachment
              And I need inspiration. With all the junk^H^H^H^Hgreat machines I have I should be able to come up with SOMETHING. So far the muse is just snickering in her corner...

              -----Original Message-----
              From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com on behalf of B Degnan
              Sent: Wed 7/1/2009 7:49 AM
              To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
              Cc:
              Subject: [midatlanticretro] VCF Exhibit Rules and Categories





              Mike Loewen wrote:

              On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Evan Koblentz wrote:



              unless I can show non working machines


              Nope! VCF requirement: majority of the machines in the exhibit must be
              alive and running.


              ...unless it's a SAGE. :-)




              Evan,

              Please send the rules and categories for the VCF exhibits. Will there be judging and by whom? Having some sort of objective is motivational and will help encourage people to put in the maximum effort. I also think we should have a best newcomer prize. Emphasizing categories helps promote diversity in exhibits.

              Bill
            • Evan Koblentz
              ... Categories, defined by Sellam and uses for all editions of the VCF, are: - microcomputer - minicomputer / multiuser / large computer - pda / handheld /
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
              • 0 Attachment
                > Please send the rules and categories for the VCF exhibits. Will there
                > be judging and by whom? Having some sort of objective is motivational
                > and will help encourage people to put in the maximum effort. I also
                > think we should have a best newcomer prize. Emphasizing categories
                > helps promote diversity in exhibits.
                >
                > Bill
                Categories, defined by Sellam and uses for all editions of the VCF, are:
                - microcomputer
                - minicomputer / multiuser / large computer
                - pda / handheld / calculators
                - homebrew / kit / educational
                - re-creation/ emulator/ contemporary enhancement

                Rules: Exhibits are just that -- to * exhibit * -- not to sell. VCF is
                like a giant demo, not a flea market. But if people want to make some
                deals on the side, then I didn't see anything. Just as long as there
                aren't any overt "for sale" signs in your booth. Also: exhibits must
                have a theme. No dumping random things on a table and saying "here's
                all my vintage computer stuff" and calling it an exhibit. Even just
                calling your exhibit "1970s microcomputers" is rather lame. Come up
                with a real theme. Other rules: exhibitors must be there for BOTH days
                unless pre-approved by me. Put some effort into making your exhibit
                look nice, have flyers to give away, bring documentation, etc. Most of
                all, have fun. That is an order. :)

                Judges -- to be determined. I asked Nick Lordi to be one of the judges
                this year. Maybe I'll be another judge.

                Prizes -- also to be determined, but I guarantee there will be something.
              • Bill Degnan
                I know the rules, but my underlying point is that judging was not taken seriously last year. 1) Last year there was no judging by category. 2) I don t believe
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
                • 0 Attachment
                  I know the rules, but my underlying point is that judging was not taken
                  seriously last year.
                  1) Last year there was no judging by category.
                  2) I don't believe the BOD members should be judges.

                  Without exhibits this is just a symposium. The musuem and the exhibits are
                  what makes this event unique and should not be taken for granted.

                  Bill

                  -------- Original Message --------
                  > From: "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...>
                  > Sent: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 10:35 AM
                  > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] VCF Exhibit Rules and Categories
                  >
                  > > Please send the rules and categories for the VCF exhibits. Will there

                  > > be judging and by whom? Having some sort of objective is motivational

                  > > and will help encourage people to put in the maximum effort. I also
                  > > think we should have a best newcomer prize. Emphasizing categories
                  > > helps promote diversity in exhibits.
                  > >
                  > > Bill
                  > Categories, defined by Sellam and uses for all editions of the VCF, are:
                  > - microcomputer
                  > - minicomputer / multiuser / large computer
                  > - pda / handheld / calculators
                  > - homebrew / kit / educational
                  > - re-creation/ emulator/ contemporary enhancement
                  >
                  > Rules: Exhibits are just that -- to * exhibit * -- not to sell. VCF is
                  > like a giant demo, not a flea market. But if people want to make some
                  > deals on the side, then I didn't see anything. Just as long as there
                  > aren't any overt "for sale" signs in your booth. Also: exhibits must
                  > have a theme. No dumping random things on a table and saying "here's
                  > all my vintage computer stuff" and calling it an exhibit. Even just
                  > calling your exhibit "1970s microcomputers" is rather lame. Come up
                  > with a real theme. Other rules: exhibitors must be there for BOTH days
                  > unless pre-approved by me. Put some effort into making your exhibit
                  > look nice, have flyers to give away, bring documentation, etc. Most of
                  > all, have fun. That is an order. :)
                  >
                  > Judges -- to be determined. I asked Nick Lordi to be one of the judges
                  > this year. Maybe I'll be another judge.
                  >
                  > Prizes -- also to be determined, but I guarantee there will be
                  something.
                  >
                  >
                  > ------------------------------------
                  >
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links
                  >
                  >
                  >
                • jack99rubin
                  ... Later versions of the drive cabinet took three drives vertically instead of two side-by-side. Come join us at SEBHC (Society of Eight Bit Heath
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
                  • 0 Attachment
                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > So I went and got the heathkit H8
                    >
                    > Its a WH8 meaning it was pre-built
                    >
                    > It's got the following boards (based off the stickers in the back of the unit)
                    >
                    > H8-5           Serial I/O and cassette interface (1200 baud)
                    > three H8-1   8K static RAM board (4K installed)
                    > three H8-3   4K of static RAM chips for H8-1 board
                    >
                    > What is odd is the triple disk drive unit... It has an external unit that has 3 drives and I cannot find an example of this.. It's also a heathkit drive system, but with three drives and not two..
                    >
                    Later versions of the drive cabinet took three drives vertically instead of two side-by-side. Come join us at SEBHC (Society of Eight Bit Heath Computerists)- www.sebhc.org - to learn more!

                    Jack
                  • Brian Cirulnick
                    ... I have some political forcast software for the Apple II as well ... Now we can try and predict who will win the 1980 election!
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
                    • 0 Attachment
                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...> wrote:
                      >
                      I have some political forcast software for the Apple II as well
                      >
                      ---------------

                      Now we can try and predict who will win the 1980 election!

                      :-)
                    • Brian Cirulnick
                      ... Yeah, you re a dumbass. I should probably say this offlist, but you re stupid for not calling me. You probably wasted money to rent a car, but I would have
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
                      • 0 Attachment
                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > Needless to say I have more $$ than brains and I don't have much $$$
                        ----------

                        Yeah, you're a dumbass. I should probably say this offlist, but you're stupid for not calling me. You probably wasted money to rent a car, but I would have loaned you the Jetta or just gone with you to get it...

                        Anyhow.

                        (Doing the anime thing and pulling down my eyelid) Myahh!
                      • Brian Cirulnick
                        ... That s because Infoage doesn t have enough electricity to power a SAGE.
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
                        • 0 Attachment
                          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                          >
                          > >> unless I can show non working machines
                          > > Nope! VCF requirement: majority of the machines in the exhibit must be
                          > > alive and running.
                          >
                          > ...unless it's a SAGE. :-)
                          >
                          -----------------

                          That's because Infoage doesn't have enough electricity to power a SAGE.
                        • Christian Liendo
                          yea.. you should have said that off list. ... From: Brian Cirulnick Subject: [midatlanticretro] Re: Got the Heathkit H8 To:
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
                          • 0 Attachment
                            yea.. you should have said that off list.

                            --- On Wed, 7/1/09, Brian Cirulnick <techrat@...> wrote:

                            From: Brian Cirulnick <techrat@...>
                            Subject: [midatlanticretro] Re: Got the Heathkit H8
                            To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                            Date: Wednesday, July 1, 2009, 2:56 PM

                            --- In midatlanticretro@ yahoogroups. com, Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@ ...> wrote:
                            >
                            > Needless to say I have more $$ than brains and I don't have much $$$
                            ----------

                            Yeah, you're a dumbass. I should probably say this offlist, but you're stupid for not calling me. You probably wasted money to rent a car, but I would have loaned you the Jetta or just gone with you to get it...

                            Anyhow.

                            (Doing the anime thing and pulling down my eyelid) Myahh!


                          • Bill Degnan
                            LOL ... stupid for not calling me. You probably wasted money to rent a car, but I would have loaned you the Jetta or just gone with you to get it...
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
                            • 0 Attachment
                              LOL

                              -------- Original Message --------
                              > From: "Christian Liendo" <christian_liendo@...>
                              > Sent: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 3:00 PM
                              > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                              > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Got the Heathkit H8
                              >
                              > yea.. you should have said that off list.
                              >
                              > --- On Wed, 7/1/09, Brian Cirulnick <techrat@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > From: Brian Cirulnick <techrat@...>
                              > Subject: [midatlanticretro] Re: Got the Heathkit H8
                              > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                              > Date: Wednesday, July 1, 2009, 2:56 PM
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              > --- In midatlanticretro@ yahoogroups. com, Christian Liendo
                              <christian_liendo@ ...> wrote:
                              >
                              > >
                              >
                              > > Needless to say I have more $$ than brains and I don't have much $$$
                              >
                              > ----------
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              > Yeah, you're a dumbass. I should probably say this offlist, but you're
                              stupid for not calling me. You probably wasted money to rent a car, but I
                              would have loaned you the Jetta or just gone with you to get it...
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              > Anyhow.
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              > (Doing the anime thing and pulling down my eyelid) Myahh!
                            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.