Re: [midatlanticretro] Got the Heathkit H8

    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 30, 2009
      Christian Liendo wrote:
      Well more info

      It's a WH-8-47.. It doesn't have the 8080A, it has a HA-8-6 Z80 card..
      And the drives are an upgrade as well

      Still doing more research on the unit

      From: Evan Koblentz <evan@...>
      Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Got the Heathkit H8
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, June 30, 2009, 11:15 PM

      > So I went and got the heathkit H8
      Good work!!

      That's great news.  I hope you can do something with it.  Maybe exhibit at VCF ?

      Bill
    • Christian Liendo
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 30, 2009
        I was hoping to do that with the Northstar..

        This needs more work...

        I have machines, just non-working machines.. trying to make them work unless I can show non working machines.

        I spoke to the woman an no one took her on the offer so she was going to dump it, I got her to come down a bit, got a vehicle and picked it up.. So I rescued it in a sense..

        Needless to say I have more $$ than brains and I don't have much $$$

        From: Evan Koblentz <evan@...>
        To: midatlanticretro@ yahoogroups. com
        Date: Tuesday, June 30, 2009, 11:15 PM

        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 30, 2009
          > unless I can show non working machines
          Nope! VCF requirement: majority of the machines in the exhibit must be
          alive and running.
        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
            On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Evan Koblentz wrote:

            >> unless I can show non working machines
            > Nope! VCF requirement: majority of the machines in the exhibit must be
            > alive and running.

            ...unless it's a SAGE. :-)

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
              Mike Loewen wrote:
              On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Evan Koblentz wrote:

              unless I can show non working machines

              Nope!  VCF requirement: majority of the machines in the exhibit must be
              alive and running.

                  ...unless it's a SAGE.  :-)

              Evan,

              Please send the rules and categories for the VCF exhibits.  Will there be judging and by whom?  Having some sort of objective is motivational and will help encourage people to put in the maximum effort.  I also think we should have a best newcomer prize.    Emphasizing categories helps promote diversity in exhibits.

              Bill
            • Mr Ian Primus
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
                --- On Tue, 6/30/09, Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

                >What
                >is odd is the triple disk drive unit... It has an external unit that
                >has 3 drives and I cannot find an example of this.. It's also a
                >heathkit drive system, but with three drives and not two..

                Yeah, I have one of those too. It's not factory - it got modified along the way. Look closely and you'll see where someone cut the front, and mounted drives vertically instead of horizontally. So, it _started_ life as a standard two drive unit - and got upgraded.

                -Ian
              • Christian Liendo
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
                  I have to say, this bugger is WELL BUILT.

                  I mean it's rusty and has mouse droppings all over it, but otherwise it's really nice.

                  If I have free time tonight (I have a female friend from Yokohama in town) I might disconnect the power supply and see if it works. Then I may try and light this thing up.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
                    > If I have free time tonight (I have a female friend from Yokohama in
                    > town) I might disconnect the power supply and see if it works.
                    By all means Chris, work on the H8. I'll keep your friend occupied. :)
                  • Kelly D. Leavitt
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
                      And I need inspiration. With all the junk^H^H^H^Hgreat machines I have I should be able to come up with SOMETHING. So far the muse is just snickering in her corner...

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
                        > Please send the rules and categories for the VCF exhibits. Will there
                        > be judging and by whom? Having some sort of objective is motivational
                        > and will help encourage people to put in the maximum effort. I also
                        > think we should have a best newcomer prize. Emphasizing categories
                        > helps promote diversity in exhibits.
                        >
                        > Bill
                        Categories, defined by Sellam and uses for all editions of the VCF, are:
                        - microcomputer
                        - minicomputer / multiuser / large computer
                        - pda / handheld / calculators
                        - homebrew / kit / educational
                        - re-creation/ emulator/ contemporary enhancement

                        Rules: Exhibits are just that -- to * exhibit * -- not to sell. VCF is
                        like a giant demo, not a flea market. But if people want to make some
                        deals on the side, then I didn't see anything. Just as long as there
                        aren't any overt "for sale" signs in your booth. Also: exhibits must
                        have a theme. No dumping random things on a table and saying "here's
                        all my vintage computer stuff" and calling it an exhibit. Even just
                        calling your exhibit "1970s microcomputers" is rather lame. Come up
                        with a real theme. Other rules: exhibitors must be there for BOTH days
                        unless pre-approved by me. Put some effort into making your exhibit
                        look nice, have flyers to give away, bring documentation, etc. Most of
                        all, have fun. That is an order. :)

                        Judges -- to be determined. I asked Nick Lordi to be one of the judges
                        this year. Maybe I'll be another judge.

                        Prizes -- also to be determined, but I guarantee there will be something.
                      • Bill Degnan
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
                          I know the rules, but my underlying point is that judging was not taken
                          seriously last year.
                          1) Last year there was no judging by category.
                          2) I don't believe the BOD members should be judges.

                          Without exhibits this is just a symposium. The musuem and the exhibits are
                          what makes this event unique and should not be taken for granted.

                          Bill

                          > > Please send the rules and categories for the VCF exhibits. Will there

                          > > be judging and by whom? Having some sort of objective is motivational

                          > > and will help encourage people to put in the maximum effort. I also
                          > > think we should have a best newcomer prize. Emphasizing categories
                          > > helps promote diversity in exhibits.
                          > >
                          > > Bill
                          > Categories, defined by Sellam and uses for all editions of the VCF, are:
                          > - microcomputer
                          > - minicomputer / multiuser / large computer
                          > - pda / handheld / calculators
                          > - homebrew / kit / educational
                          > - re-creation/ emulator/ contemporary enhancement
                          >
                          > Rules: Exhibits are just that -- to * exhibit * -- not to sell. VCF is
                          > like a giant demo, not a flea market. But if people want to make some
                          > deals on the side, then I didn't see anything. Just as long as there
                          > aren't any overt "for sale" signs in your booth. Also: exhibits must
                          > have a theme. No dumping random things on a table and saying "here's
                          > all my vintage computer stuff" and calling it an exhibit. Even just
                          > calling your exhibit "1970s microcomputers" is rather lame. Come up
                          > with a real theme. Other rules: exhibitors must be there for BOTH days
                          > unless pre-approved by me. Put some effort into making your exhibit
                          > look nice, have flyers to give away, bring documentation, etc. Most of
                          > all, have fun. That is an order. :)
                          >
                          > Judges -- to be determined. I asked Nick Lordi to be one of the judges
                          > this year. Maybe I'll be another judge.
                          >
                          > Prizes -- also to be determined, but I guarantee there will be
                          something.

                        • jack99rubin
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009

                            > So I went and got the heathkit H8
                            >
                            > Its a WH8 meaning it was pre-built
                            >
                            > It's got the following boards (based off the stickers in the back of the unit)
                            >
                            > H8-5           Serial I/O and cassette interface (1200 baud)
                            > three H8-1   8K static RAM board (4K installed)
                            > three H8-3   4K of static RAM chips for H8-1 board
                            >
                            > What is odd is the triple disk drive unit... It has an external unit that has 3 drives and I cannot find an example of this.. It's also a heathkit drive system, but with three drives and not two..

                            Later versions of the drive cabinet took three drives vertically instead of two side-by-side. Come join us at SEBHC (Society of Eight Bit Heath Computerists)- www.sebhc.org - to learn more!

                            Jack
                          • Brian Cirulnick
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009

                              I have some political forcast software for the Apple II as well

                              ---------------

                              Now we can try and predict who will win the 1980 election!

                              :-)
                            • Brian Cirulnick
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009

                                > Needless to say I have more $$ than brains and I don't have much $$$
                                ----------

                                Yeah, you're a dumbass. I should probably say this offlist, but you're stupid for not calling me. You probably wasted money to rent a car, but I would have loaned you the Jetta or just gone with you to get it...

                                Anyhow.

                                (Doing the anime thing and pulling down my eyelid) Myahh!
                              • Brian Cirulnick
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009

                                  > On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                  >
                                  > >> unless I can show non working machines
                                  > > Nope! VCF requirement: majority of the machines in the exhibit must be
                                  > > alive and running.
                                  >
                                  > ...unless it's a SAGE. :-)

                                  That's because Infoage doesn't have enough electricity to power a SAGE.
                                • Christian Liendo
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
                                    yea.. you should have said that off list.

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
                                      LOL