OT: Operation of an Adding machine

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2009
      I was playing around with my Burroughs Adding machine today. Its from the 50's-60's. It is motor driven. I have been trying to figure out if it is broken, of if I am not using it correctly. The machine has 8 columns of 9 through 1, a clear button (marked E), +, -, x, *TOT, -| |- NA, and ST. It also has a small electric button on the side.

      Can anyone teach me? :)

      Joe

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 30, 2009
        Joe Giliberti wrote:
        I was playing around with my Burroughs Adding machine today. Its from the 50's-60's. It is motor driven. I have been trying to figure out if it is broken, of if I am not using it correctly. The machine has 8 columns of 9 through 1, a clear button (marked E), +, -, x, *TOT, -| |- NA, and ST. It also has a small electric button on the side.

        Can anyone teach me? :)

        Joe
        One thing you need is a visor.  Most pictures you see of people using these things were wearing visors.    I don't think they work otherwise.

        But seriously you probably want to clean it of dust and then lube/NYE oil the moving parts.  I have a few here and there but I don't do much with them.  Does it have a ribbon/printer or is it just a calculator?

        Related question
        Would an exhibit of old adding machines be acceptable as a VCF exhibit or too off topic?

        bd
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 30, 2009
          > Would an exhibit of old adding machines be acceptable as a VCF exhibit
          > or too off topic?
          >
          > bd
          It's okay with me. Bill, remember our "pre-industrial" exhibit at VCF
          West 9.0?
        • Joe Giliberti

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 1 4:47 AM
              > I would imagine WD40 would do more harm than good?

              Yes. It dries out and leaves a sticky residue so it may be better for a
              short time but will then be worse.

              I don't know what was normally done/used but suspect its like the teletype
              where you want a needle tipped oiler with a light oil and put a drop on
              each of the moving locations. Some parts may also want a light grease.

              If you can find a service manual for any related model it will give you
              the general idea on how it should be lubricated.

              Can't help with how it is operated.