Re: (another) vintage computer article in Maximum PC Magazine

  • Brian Cirulnick
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 30, 2009

      > But he has the PC, the XT and the AT but not the VIC 20.. WTF!?!?!
      > >:O
      > Hell hath no fury like a Commodorian Scorned!!
      > C= FO-EVA!
      -------------

      Well, as usual, these types of articles always have a decidedly west-coast bent. This is a failure on our part. The west-coast evangelists have written the majority of books and seem to have the larger "public" collections, and therefore, they recieve the lion's share of the publicity.

      It's little wonder that many books out there portray the entirety of the history of computers as Apple VS. IBM, hell, even Cringely's book (who should have known better), made the entire story west-coast based, even cutting IBM out of the picture when Microsoft became a better foil for Apple.

      I think a lot of people forget that while Apple was designing the IIgs, they were internally referring to it as "the Amiga killer", and in the earlier days of computing, a "Business Machine" would be required to read a variety of disk formats because there were so many competing "standards".

      On the upside however, the photography in the article is very nice. It's unfortunate that the author didn't feel it was notable to indicate the date of each piece of "history". I guess the Sol-20 was built, what, 10 years ago?

      I mean, that's a loooong time in computer years.
    • Bill Degnan
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 30, 2009

        > Well, as usual, these types of articles always have a decidedly
        west-coast bent. This is a failure on our part. The west-coast evangelists
        have written the majority of books and seem to have the larger "public"
        collections, and therefore, they recieve the lion's share of the
        publicity.

        The Franklin 1000 is included, at least one system from our neck of the
        woods.

        > On the upside however, the photography in the article is very nice. It's
        unfortunate that the author didn't feel it was notable to indicate the date
        of each piece of "history". I guess the Sol-20 was built, what, 10 years
        ago?

        > I mean, that's a loooong time in computer years.

        That's a web master issue (maximum PC). The print version is much nicer
        and has the dates and other details.