Re: [midatlanticretro] (another) vintage computer article in Maximum PC Magazine

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 30, 2009
      I'm happy for Erik and for the attention these kinds of articles give to our hobby.  But I'm also sick of seeing the same "Top X" articles over and over again.  The one that Erik / me / Bill helped with for MSNBC earlier this year turned out equally chaotic.

      But he has the PC, the XT and the AT but not the VIC 20.. WTF!?!?!
      >:O
      Hell hath no fury like a Commodorian Scorned!!
      C= FO-EVA!

      Just kidding, a bit of "vintage" computer sarcasm there.

      If you read the comments section the Amiga people are not happy.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 30, 2009

        > I totally read that headline incorrectly (damn dyslexia!), and was trying to figure out why a magazine that mostly features women in their underwear would have an article on old computers...
        It would have been more fun than men in suits!

        http://www.esquire.com/style/fashion-story/suits-0708?click=main_sr
      • Christian Liendo
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 30, 2009
          So when are we coming out with the MARCH swimsuit issue?

          Actually G4 does this a lot.

          Oh and if any of you are thinking of posing with your swimsuits, please understand that I have been trained (thanks to your taxpayer money) to use firearms. Given the possible photos, I expect any rational jury to not indite me for using those skills. :)

          From: Evan Koblentz <evan@...>
          To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Tuesday, June 30, 2009, 9:35 AM

          > I totally read that headline incorrectly (damn dyslexia!), and was trying to figure out why a magazine that mostly features women in their underwear would have an article on old computers...
          It would have been more fun than men in suits!

          http://www.esquire. com/style/ fashion-story/ suits-0708? click=main_ sr

        • Brian Cirulnick
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 30, 2009

            > But he has the PC, the XT and the AT but not the VIC 20.. WTF!?!?!
            > >:O
            > Hell hath no fury like a Commodorian Scorned!!
            > C= FO-EVA!
            -------------

            Well, as usual, these types of articles always have a decidedly west-coast bent. This is a failure on our part. The west-coast evangelists have written the majority of books and seem to have the larger "public" collections, and therefore, they recieve the lion's share of the publicity.

            It's little wonder that many books out there portray the entirety of the history of computers as Apple VS. IBM, hell, even Cringely's book (who should have known better), made the entire story west-coast based, even cutting IBM out of the picture when Microsoft became a better foil for Apple.

            I think a lot of people forget that while Apple was designing the IIgs, they were internally referring to it as "the Amiga killer", and in the earlier days of computing, a "Business Machine" would be required to read a variety of disk formats because there were so many competing "standards".

            On the upside however, the photography in the article is very nice. It's unfortunate that the author didn't feel it was notable to indicate the date of each piece of "history". I guess the Sol-20 was built, what, 10 years ago?

            I mean, that's a loooong time in computer years.
          • Bill Degnan
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 30, 2009

              > Well, as usual, these types of articles always have a decidedly
              west-coast bent. This is a failure on our part. The west-coast evangelists
              have written the majority of books and seem to have the larger "public"
              collections, and therefore, they recieve the lion's share of the
              publicity.

              The Franklin 1000 is included, at least one system from our neck of the
              woods.

              > On the upside however, the photography in the article is very nice. It's
              unfortunate that the author didn't feel it was notable to indicate the date
              of each piece of "history". I guess the Sol-20 was built, what, 10 years
              ago?

              > I mean, that's a loooong time in computer years.

              That's a web master issue (maximum PC). The print version is much nicer
              and has the dates and other details.