(another) vintage computer article in Maximum PC Magazine

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 30, 2009
      Dawn of the Personal Computer: From Altair to the IBM PC
      by Erik Klein (vintage-computer.com)
      http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/dawn_personal_computer_altair_ibm_pc

      These articles always generate a lot of controversy, but I think that's
      why editors like them so much. Overall Erik was careful to avoid
      absolute statements, but I am sure that there will be some here who do
      not agree with the choices. Beyond that, I think it's important that
      there are articles like this in magazines like Maximum PC (I am a
      subscriber and recommend this mag) in that it helps bring new people
      into awareness of computer history. I think you're missing the point if
      you dwell too much on whether this or that computer should or should not
      be on Erik's list, as tempting as that may be to do.

      Bill
    • evan@snarc.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 30, 2009
        Thankas for the link. I knew this was coming but I was sworn to secrecy. :)

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 30, 2009
          But he has the PC, the XT and the AT but not the VIC 20.. WTF!?!?!
          >:O
          Hell hath no fury like a Commodorian Scorned!!
          C= FO-EVA!

          Just kidding, a bit of "vintage" computer sarcasm there.

          If you read the comments section the Amiga people are not happy.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 30, 2009

            > Dawn of the Personal Computer: From Altair to the IBM PC
            > by Erik Klein (vintage-computer.com)
            > http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/dawn_personal_computer_altair_ibm_pc

            -------------------------

            I totally read that headline incorrectly (damn dyslexia!), and was trying to figure out why a magazine that mostly features women in their underwear would have an article on old computers...
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 30, 2009
              I'm happy for Erik and for the attention these kinds of articles give to our hobby.  But I'm also sick of seeing the same "Top X" articles over and over again.  The one that Erik / me / Bill helped with for MSNBC earlier this year turned out equally chaotic.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 30, 2009

                > I totally read that headline incorrectly (damn dyslexia!), and was trying to figure out why a magazine that mostly features women in their underwear would have an article on old computers...
                It would have been more fun than men in suits!

                http://www.esquire.com/style/fashion-story/suits-0708?click=main_sr
              • Christian Liendo
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 30, 2009
                  So when are we coming out with the MARCH swimsuit issue?

                  Actually G4 does this a lot.

                  Oh and if any of you are thinking of posing with your swimsuits, please understand that I have been trained (thanks to your taxpayer money) to use firearms. Given the possible photos, I expect any rational jury to not indite me for using those skills. :)

                  From: Evan Koblentz <evan@...>
                  To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Tuesday, June 30, 2009, 9:35 AM

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 30, 2009

                    > But he has the PC, the XT and the AT but not the VIC 20.. WTF!?!?!
                    > >:O
                    > Hell hath no fury like a Commodorian Scorned!!
                    > C= FO-EVA!
                    -------------

                    Well, as usual, these types of articles always have a decidedly west-coast bent. This is a failure on our part. The west-coast evangelists have written the majority of books and seem to have the larger "public" collections, and therefore, they recieve the lion's share of the publicity.

                    It's little wonder that many books out there portray the entirety of the history of computers as Apple VS. IBM, hell, even Cringely's book (who should have known better), made the entire story west-coast based, even cutting IBM out of the picture when Microsoft became a better foil for Apple.

                    I think a lot of people forget that while Apple was designing the IIgs, they were internally referring to it as "the Amiga killer", and in the earlier days of computing, a "Business Machine" would be required to read a variety of disk formats because there were so many competing "standards".

                    On the upside however, the photography in the article is very nice. It's unfortunate that the author didn't feel it was notable to indicate the date of each piece of "history". I guess the Sol-20 was built, what, 10 years ago?

                    I mean, that's a loooong time in computer years.
                  • Bill Degnan
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 30, 2009

                      > Well, as usual, these types of articles always have a decidedly
                      west-coast bent. This is a failure on our part. The west-coast evangelists
                      have written the majority of books and seem to have the larger "public"
                      collections, and therefore, they recieve the lion's share of the
                      publicity.

                      The Franklin 1000 is included, at least one system from our neck of the
                      woods.

                      > On the upside however, the photography in the article is very nice. It's
                      unfortunate that the author didn't feel it was notable to indicate the date
                      of each piece of "history". I guess the Sol-20 was built, what, 10 years
                      ago?

                      > I mean, that's a loooong time in computer years.

                      That's a web master issue (maximum PC). The print version is much nicer
                      and has the dates and other details.