IMSAI8080 was Re: What is Vintage?

  • Brian Cirulnick
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 29, 2009

      > However people like Bill are the exception. Most professors in such programs are tenured and have advanced degrees in history and/or computer science.

      -----------

      I won't debate you on that point as it's (unfortunately) true, however, it should be noted that if the school doesn't have such a class it can always be proposed to the board and if there's a known interest in having such a class and enough students sign up, then you've got a class to teach.

      It does depend upon the school. My "institute of higher learning" was art school, and they were very open to anyone walking in the door with an idea to teach something there (as long as it appealed to enough students willing to pay for the class).

      If it works, instant teaching career.
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 29, 2009

        >> However people like Bill are the exception. Most professors in such programs are tenured and have advanced degrees in history and/or computer science.
        > I won't debate you on that point as it's (unfortunately) true

        Why do you find that unfortunate?

        Just because they're professors / Ph.D.s does not mean they lack the
        experience than hobbyists/collectors have. Quite the opposite; most of
        hobbyists/collectors who I know can learn a LOT from the academic site
        of computer history.

        In fact that was the topic of my lecture at the Society for the History
        of Technology conference in 2007 -- "Bridging the gap between hobbyists
        and historians of computer history."