Re: [midatlanticretro] 5150 updates

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 26, 2009
      No beeps whatsoever.
      I think it is a power problem.
      I plugged a newer CD drive to test the disk drive power, and the drive worked
      I get no power at B3, B5, B7, or B9 on an ISA port.
      For the sake of testing, can I use an AT style supply? Would I need to modify a switch?

      Joe

      On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 4:26 PM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

      I am pretty sure your problem is the display card.  If you mail it to me I will take a look/fix if needed/replace if not fixable.  Classic symptoms.  You'll know if you remove the card, power up and get two beeps (even if there are other problems).
      Bill

      Jim Scheef wrote:

      Joe,

      Have you tried a search engine? "switch settings IBM 16k-64k" on Yahoo
      yielded a link to BillD's website as well as this:
      http://www.uncreativelabs.net/hwinfo/pcdip.htm

      Jim

      Joe Giliberti wrote:

      /I downloaded the Technical Reference manual, but it only is for the
      64-256k board. Any idea where I can get the switch specs for a 16-64k board?

      Joe
      /

      On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Jim Scheef <scheefj@...
      <mailto:scheefj@...>> wrote:

          Joe,

          Ian is on the right track, but I'll suggest some even more basic steps.

          1. Remove all cards.
          2. Check the RAM chips to be absolutely sure they are all 16k chips
          (4116 I think). 64k chips (4164) will not work in that motherboard.
          3. Plug in the CGA card only.
          4. Verify the motherboard switch settings - be sure your reference is
          also for the 16-64 board
          5. Verify that your keyboard is good - perhaps you can test it at the
          museum
          6. Verify that your monitor and cable work - the CGA card has an RCA
          jack that puts out NTSC video that can feed any video game monitor.
          7. Turn it on. The monitor should show the count the installed RAM,
          it counts in increments of 16k. At the end of the count it will go
          into cassette BASIC.
          8. If it fails in #7, fix what ails and go back.

          As a last resort, if you still get no RAM count in #7, remove all the
          socketed RAM, reset the motherboard switches for 16K, and try again. If
          it still does not work, one of the remaining components is blown -
          motherboard or CGA card - so replace the CGA card and try again.

          Jim

          Mr Ian Primus wrote:

           > --- On Thu, 6/25/09, Joe Giliberti <Starbase89@...
          <mailto:Starbase89%40gmail.com>
          <mailto:Starbase89%2540gmail.com>>> wrote:

           > >I have run the machine with just the drive controller and video,
           > without the >RAM boards, and still same problem
           >
           > You can also run it without the diskette controller too. Going
           > straight into BASIC, you can't use them anyway.
           >
           > Start with the simple things. You've already verified that the power
           > supply is good. Look carefully over the board, and ensure that
           > everything is seated properly, etc. Look carefully at the RAM, look
           > for loose chips, corroded legs, stuff like that.
           >
           > With no disk controller, it won't have any option roms to probe, and
           > it is supposed to go straight into BASIC. If it still isn't doing
           > anything, then you might have to dig deeper. I'm sure Bill can point
           > you towards simple tests too. Could have a bad RAM chip or
          something.
           > I normally start troubleshooting a totally dead machine with a logic
           > probe, to ensure that the system clock is running, but, that's
          just me...

           > -Ian
           >
           > ,_._,___

      <*> Your email settings: