Altos "Serie 5" 5-AD Computer

  • billdeg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 27, 2005
      Howdy,
      A new member to the family - the Altos 5-AD.  I have been lucky enough to get a free Altos 5 with the 10 MB Hard drive, CP/M  and M/PM software, etc.  Aside from the need for a little cleaning, it seems to be in perfect shape and runs great.  This system is capable of running three terminals at once.  The donor also gave me the docs, software, and a terminal.   He also had custom software he developed for the Altos and the TRS 80 Model II.

      After work today I will test more of the software, etc.

      Here is a good page to describe.

      He has more systems, but he still has to dig them out  He will let me know.  He was poking around.."I have an Altos 8000 around here someplace..."

      Bill D

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 27, 2005
        Bill,

        What a great find! I've been thinking that it would be really cool if we used
        something like this or a PDP/VAX/etc to run a catalog of everything at the
        museum. The catalog would be available to visitors with information about the
        collection. It might even be possible to put the catalog on the web, although
        that would be a little tough for a CP/M machine...

        Jim

      • billdeg@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 27, 2005
          True...I am having a hard enough time finishing the regular web application
          version of an online inventory...I have been too busy with other things.

          The Altos *had* been running for a few hours, and then unceremoneously died.
          I am working to determine what happened...appears to be a power supply to the
          disk drive issue. Update to follow.

          Bill

          In a message dated 9/27/2005 6:56:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          jscheef@... writes:

          > Bill,
          >
          > What a great find! I've been thinking that it would be really cool if we
          > used
          > something like this or a PDP/VAX/etc to run a catalog of everything at the
          > museum. The catalog would be available to visitors with information about
          > the
          > collection. It might even be possible to put the catalog on the web,
          > although
          > that would be a little tough for a CP/M machine...
          >
          > Jim
        • William Pechter
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2005
            I hate to say this but Linux or xBSD or even Xenix would be a better
            idea on a PC with a four ports serial card hooked to vt100s.

            The disks on the old boys (MFM stuff mostly) are really old and flaky
            and the new IDE stuff or SCSI costs too much to interface.

            I'd love to see it on something like a 386/486/early pentium.

            Bill