Re: [midatlanticretro] TRS-80 Model III-ultra

  • Mr Ian Primus
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 26, 2009
      --- On Fri, 6/26/09, Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

      > I wanted to do that with
      > one of those 5150 clone cases..
      >
      > There were some clones who's cases were pretty much
      > exact copies of the 5150 and so I was going to make my pc
      > like that. I would never use a 5150 itself.

      Even if you had a junker 5150, it wouldn't be the thing to use. The 5150 only has five slots, and the spacing is different than a modern PC motherboard. Use a PC/XT case, they're common and plentiful (and are identical from the outside). I think I even have a few empty cases laying around myself. The only problems you'll run into are that modern PC boards are different dimensions - they are wider along the back. Cutting the back of the case to fit isn't that bad, but then the front of the board hits the support holding up the drive bracket. You can't cut that entirely away, otherwise you lose the structural integrity of the case. Best bet would be to use a shorter ATX board instead of a full size one.

      -Ian