Re: [midatlanticretro] TRS-80 Model III-ultra

  • Christian Liendo
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 26, 2009
      I wanted to do that with one of those 5150 clone cases..

      There were some clones who's cases were pretty much exact copies of the 5150 and so I was going to make my pc like that. I would never use a 5150 itself.

    • Mr Ian Primus
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 26, 2009
        --- On Fri, 6/26/09, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

        >     Much as I hate to see a Model III hacked up,
        > this is just too funny:
        >
        > Ebay # 250453201139

        Yeah. Too bad he did such an _awful_ job of hacking it. Man. Two power cables exiting the computer? How hard would it have been to wire that together inside? The hacking of the case on the back is ugly and poorly done. The replacement keyboard looks really crummy - he couldn't find a decent keyboard to use? Or he could have rewired the original keyboard, those TRS-80 keyboards would be easy to hack. He leaves a 5 1/4" floppy drive, but doesn't hook it up, instead he poorly hacks it to be USB and audio connectors? Huh? And two CDROM drives, only one of which is connected - obviously because he was too lazy to find either a longer cable, add a connector to the cable he had, or install a floppy drive or a blank to fill the space.

        I've hacked newer computers into old cases before - and this is one amatuer job. The sad thing is that he's trying to get people to pay him _money_ for it.

        -Ian
      • Mr Ian Primus
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 26, 2009
          --- On Fri, 6/26/09, Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

          > I wanted to do that with
          > one of those 5150 clone cases..
          >
          > There were some clones who's cases were pretty much
          > exact copies of the 5150 and so I was going to make my pc
          > like that. I would never use a 5150 itself.

          Even if you had a junker 5150, it wouldn't be the thing to use. The 5150 only has five slots, and the spacing is different than a modern PC motherboard. Use a PC/XT case, they're common and plentiful (and are identical from the outside). I think I even have a few empty cases laying around myself. The only problems you'll run into are that modern PC boards are different dimensions - they are wider along the back. Cutting the back of the case to fit isn't that bad, but then the front of the board hits the support holding up the drive bracket. You can't cut that entirely away, otherwise you lose the structural integrity of the case. Best bet would be to use a shorter ATX board instead of a full size one.

          -Ian