5150 updates

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 25, 2009
      Okay
      Even while I have a complete system now, it still does not function. The only thing I've tested thus far are power voltages (they checked out). I have very little idea at this point on how to proceed. Suggestions are very welcome as far as how I should go on.

      Thanks
      Joe
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 25, 2009
        Joe Giliberti wrote:
        > <!-- /* start of attachment style */ .ygrp-photo-title{ clear: both;
        > font-size: smaller; height: 15px; overflow: hidden; text-align:
        > center; width: 75px; } div.ygrp-photo{ background-position: center;
        > background-repeat: no-repeat; background-color: white; border: 1px
        > solid black; height: 62px; width: 62px; } div.photo-title a,
        > div.photo-title a:active, div.photo-title a:hover, div.photo-title
        > a:visited { text-decoration: none; } div.attach-table div.attach-row {
        > clear: both; } div.attach-table div.attach-row div { float: left; /*
        > margin: 2px;*/ } p { clear: both; padding: 15px 0 3px 0; overflow:
        > hidden; } div.ygrp-file { width: 30px; valign: middle; }
        > div.attach-table div.attach-row div div a { text-decoration: none; }
        > div.attach-table div.attach-row div div span { font-weight: normal; }
        > div.ygrp-file-title { font-weight: bold; } /* end of attachment style
        > */ --> <!-- #ygrp-mkp{ border: 1px solid #d8d8d8; font-family: Arial;
        > margin: 14px 0px; padding: 0px 14px; } #ygrp-mkp hr{ border: 1px solid
        > #d8d8d8; } #ygrp-mkp #hd{ color: #628c2a; font-size: 85%; font-weight:
        > bold; line-height: 122%; margin: 10px 0px; } #ygrp-mkp #ads{
        > margin-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-mkp .ad{ padding: 0 0; } #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
        > color: #0000ff; text-decoration: none; } -->
        >
        > Okay
        > Even while I have a complete system now, it still does not function.
        > The only thing I've tested thus far are power voltages (they checked
        > out). I have very little idea at this point on how to proceed.
        > Suggestions are very welcome as far as how I should go on.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Joe
        My first suggestion is that you send a complete inventory, card by
        card. Also the switch settings on the motherboard, the OS you're
        attempting to boot (is it known to work), and what the error codes are.
        Have you downloaded an IBM 5150 technical reference from the web? I
        assume one exists somewhere.

        Happy to help. It usually takes only a few minutes to diagnose most
        problems on the 5150. Fixing is another story.

        Bill
      • Joe Giliberti
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 25, 2009
          Bill,

          I have not attempted to boot any OS yet. I'm hoping to get to BASIC first. There are no error codes. No beeps Nothing is on the screen (though the monitor works) The Drives to not blink or access
          Observed specs (some may be redundant)

          Motherboard marked as 16-64 KB CPU
          8088 CPU
          8087 Coprocessor

          Has 64k onboard
          You mentioned a while ago that it has upgraded ROM to support 640k

          SW1:
          00001001

          SW2:
          10110000

          J1: Empty
          J2: Color Graphics
          J3: Quadram Quadboard, PCC1V0 4083
               SW1: 10000111
               SW2: 10000000
          J4: Quadram Quadboard, Rev 6K, Onboard battery
               SW1: 01111110
          J5: Diskette

          I have run the machine with just the drive controller and video, without the RAM boards, and still same problem

          Both diskette drives are made by Tandon

          I have the manuals you mentioned. I got them from vintage5150.net (or something)

          Thanks
          Joe

          On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 10:57 PM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

          My first suggestion is that you send a complete inventory, card by
          card. Also the switch settings on the motherboard, the OS you're
          attempting to boot (is it known to work), and what the error codes are.
          Have you downloaded an IBM 5150 technical reference from the web? I
          assume one exists somewhere.

          Happy to help. It usually takes only a few minutes to diagnose most
          problems on the 5150. Fixing is another story.

          Bill

        • Mr Ian Primus
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 26, 2009
            --- On Thu, 6/25/09, Joe Giliberti <Starbase89@...> wrote:

            >I have run the machine with just the drive controller and video, without the >RAM boards, and still same problem

            You can also run it without the diskette controller too. Going straight into BASIC, you can't use them anyway.

            Start with the simple things. You've already verified that the power supply is good. Look carefully over the board, and ensure that everything is seated properly, etc. Look carefully at the RAM, look for loose chips, corroded legs, stuff like that.

            With no disk controller, it won't have any option roms to probe, and it is supposed to go straight into BASIC. If it still isn't doing anything, then you might have to dig deeper. I'm sure Bill can point you towards simple tests too. Could have a bad RAM chip or something. I normally start troubleshooting a totally dead machine with a logic probe, to ensure that the system clock is running, but, that's just me...

            -Ian
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 26, 2009
              Joe,

              Ian is on the right track, but I'll suggest some even more basic steps.

              1. Remove all cards.
              2. Check the RAM chips to be absolutely sure they are all 16k chips
              (4116 I think). 64k chips (4164) will not work in that motherboard.
              3. Plug in the CGA card only.
              4. Verify the motherboard switch settings - be sure your reference is
              also for the 16-64 board
              5. Verify that your keyboard is good - perhaps you can test it at the
              museum
              6. Verify that your monitor and cable work - the CGA card has an RCA
              jack that puts out NTSC video that can feed any video game monitor.
              7. Turn it on. The monitor should show the count the installed RAM,
              it counts in increments of 16k. At the end of the count it will go
              into cassette BASIC.
              8. If it fails in #7, fix what ails and go back.

              As a last resort, if you still get no RAM count in #7, remove all the
              socketed RAM, reset the motherboard switches for 16K, and try again. If
              it still does not work, one of the remaining components is blown -
              motherboard or CGA card - so replace the CGA card and try again.

              Jim

              Mr Ian Primus wrote:

              > --- On Thu, 6/25/09, Joe Giliberti <Starbase89@...
              > <mailto:Starbase89%40gmail.com>> wrote:
              >
              > >I have run the machine with just the drive controller and video,
              > without the >RAM boards, and still same problem
              >
              > You can also run it without the diskette controller too. Going
              > straight into BASIC, you can't use them anyway.
              >
              > Start with the simple things. You've already verified that the power
              > supply is good. Look carefully over the board, and ensure that
              > everything is seated properly, etc. Look carefully at the RAM, look
              > for loose chips, corroded legs, stuff like that.
              >
              > With no disk controller, it won't have any option roms to probe, and
              > it is supposed to go straight into BASIC. If it still isn't doing
              > anything, then you might have to dig deeper. I'm sure Bill can point
              > you towards simple tests too. Could have a bad RAM chip or something.
              > I normally start troubleshooting a totally dead machine with a logic
              > probe, to ensure that the system clock is running, but, that's just me...
              >
              > -Ian
              >
              > ,_._,___
            • Joe Giliberti
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 26, 2009
                I downloaded the Technical Reference manual, but it only is for the 64-256k board. Any idea where I can get the switch specs for a 16-64k board?

                Joe

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 26, 2009
                  Joe,

                  Have you tried a search engine? "switch settings IBM 16k-64k" on Yahoo
                  yielded a link to BillD's website as well as this:
                  http://www.uncreativelabs.net/hwinfo/pcdip.htm

                  Jim

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 26, 2009
                      I am pretty sure your problem is the display card.  If you mail it to me I will take a look/fix if needed/replace if not fixable.  Classic symptoms.  You'll know if you remove the card, power up and get two beeps (even if there are other problems).
                      Bill

                          Mr Ian Primus wrote:

                           > --- On Thu, 6/25/09, Joe Giliberti <Starbase89@...
                          <mailto:Starbase89%40gmail.com>
                           > <mailto:Starbase89%40gmail.com
                          <mailto:Starbase89%2540gmail.com>>> wrote:

                           > >I have run the machine with just the drive controller and video,
                           > without the >RAM boards, and still same problem
                           >
                           > You can also run it without the diskette controller too. Going
                           > straight into BASIC, you can't use them anyway.
                           >
                           > Start with the simple things. You've already verified that the power
                           > supply is good. Look carefully over the board, and ensure that
                           > everything is seated properly, etc. Look carefully at the RAM, look
                           > for loose chips, corroded legs, stuff like that.
                           >
                           > With no disk controller, it won't have any option roms to probe, and
                           > it is supposed to go straight into BASIC. If it still isn't doing
                           > anything, then you might have to dig deeper. I'm sure Bill can point
                           > you towards simple tests too. Could have a bad RAM chip or
                          something.
                           > I normally start troubleshooting a totally dead machine with a logic
                           > probe, to ensure that the system clock is running, but, that's
                          just me...

                           > -Ian
                           >
                           > ,_._,___

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • Joe Giliberti
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 26, 2009
                        No beeps whatsoever.
                        I think it is a power problem.
                        I plugged a newer CD drive to test the disk drive power, and the drive worked
                        I get no power at B3, B5, B7, or B9 on an ISA port.
                        For the sake of testing, can I use an AT style supply? Would I need to modify a switch?

                        Joe

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 26, 2009
                          I cracked open the 5150's power supply. I saw nothing obvious, except for the fact that the case seemed magnetic. I did notice something not entirely relevant, but pretty funny inside. See picture: http://yfrog.com/5gdscf0652nj

                          Joe