Re: History of PDAs

  • Brian Cirulnick
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 23, 2009
      > > Jobs' reality
      > distortion field was on full strength for the Newton.

      FYI: Jobs wasn't around for the Newton.
      That would be Sculley's "Sugar Water Distortion Field".

      Interestingly, you stirred another memory in my long-fogged brain. One of Vanguard Media's first gigs was working on some kind of "smartphone", but it wasn't handheld, it was a desk phone.

      We were working with Mark Safire (son of William Safire, Nixon's speechwriter), and he was a Mac-head developing in hypercard some interface for a Bellsouth product that would tie into ISDN (which at the time, really meant It Still Does Nothing), to provide all kinds of phonebook services.

      Mike Pinto was helping design the interface and I beta-tested. I remember writing an article for 2600 Magazine about it (Hey, I never signed the non-disclosure!)... and I think they actually did call it "The Smartphone".

      I can't remember what year that was, but it had to be very early 90's, maybe even late 80's, so that would jive with the Simon (for all I know, they used the same stuff we developed for that).

      I'd have to call Mike and verify, since I can't remember, it was too damn long ago. But if I can locate my 2600 article, maybe I can dig you up more info...