well my Yamaha CX5M seems to work...

  • Chris M
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 26, 2005
      I plugged it in, how daring was that? Hit the power
      button, and the diode lit up. It came with a cable,
      din on one end, 2 rca's on the other...presumably
      video. But I don't have a tv with that sort of jack
      where I am.
      Anyone know of any good download sites? Of course
      I'll have to figure out how to connect a disk drive to
      it. NOT likely to find original equipment anytime soon.

      Yahoo! for Good
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 26, 2005
        Chris,

        The Yamaha line were the only MSX machines actually marketed in the US, and
        this fact should work in your favor for finding parts and information. Where
        did you find it? I've bid on a few on eBay but was never willing to pay
        enough to win the auction. I suspect the DIN to RCA cable was for connecting
        music gear. Most MIDI stuff used a DIN plug similar to a PC (not PS/2)
        keyboard. Yamaha sold this computer with a piano-style MIDI keyboard for
        playing music and composition.

        Should be a fun machine if you can find the software.

        Jim

        --- Chris M <chrism3667@...> wrote:

        > I plugged it in, how daring was that? Hit the power
        > button, and the diode lit up. It came with a cable,
        > din on one end, 2 rca's on the other...presumably
        > video. But I don't have a tv with that sort of jack
        > where I am.
        > Anyone know of any good download sites? Of course
        > I'll have to figure out how to connect a disk drive to
        > it. NOT likely to find original equipment anytime soon.

        > Yahoo! for Good
        > Donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 26, 2005
          I've been busy cleaning up machines, taking pictures and updating my
          virtual collection site:

          http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/

          Recent acquisitions:

          Apple IIe Platinum
          Apple IIgs "Woz" signature edition (ROM 0)
          Apple 3.5" drive (A9M0106)
          Apple 5.25" drive (A9M0107)
          TRS-80 Model I (26-1006), Level II BASIC, 16KB with lower case mod
          IBM 9348-012 tape drive (9-track) with SCSI interface
          Documation M1000-L card reader
          Sun SPARC Ultra 10
          DEC VT420 terminal

          I'm looking for:

          Osborne Vixen
          Tandy 6000HD
          TRS-80 Model I expansion interface and drives
          Apple IIgs ROM3
          Software for the ALS Z-Engine CP/M card

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • chrism3667
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 26, 2005
            I know it is Jim, probably due to one of your comments in the past. I
            in fact did get it on Ebay, and it only cost like 6 bucks, although
            shipping was like 2.5 x that. I can't swear it works, but the only
            thing that has me concerned is the video IC, and even that is similar
            to the TI/994A'a (I can never remember how that puter is spelled).
            This thing was sitting in a pawn shop evidently, still had the sticker
            on it. Good condition, and I agree, when I started reading up on MSX
            stuph, I became tre intrigued.
            This thing did have the option of a disk drive, but I doubt I'd find
            the original equipment *affordably*. I don't know, I might play around
            with trying to hook up *something* through one of it's ports. The
            damned notoriously slow C64 drive connected through the serial port,
            although it's slowness was due to poorly written software. I wish
            there was a floppy equivalent to the SASI boards that have been
            floating around. Mind you I have no idea how I'd do this.
            The other option is to create a generic cartridge and burn images of
            programs to an eprom. Loads easier then trying to interface a disk
            drive. But then again I can just send them over the serial port from a
            PC, but that assumes I have communications software already on the
            puter. So I'm going to have to use the cassette???
            Yes, the only one sold in the US probably, but there's Canada, and
            the FAQ that I read the other day (the guy was from Boston or
            thereabouts) said he had a Sony something or other. The ones that were
            available overseas had detachable keyboards and whatnot. Alot of fun.