LJ5m needs love

  • Alexey Toptygin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 19, 2009
      I'm not sure if this is on-topic yet, and if not I apologize.

      My trusty HP LJ5m is starting to run out of toner; I see some people are
      still selling replacement toner cartridges that they claim are compatible,
      but I am wondering if it may be cheaper/easier for me to just buy bulk
      toner and refill it myself? It doesn't sound very difficult...

      Has anyone on the list refilled HP toner cartridges? Is bulk toner pretty
      much all the same, or do I need to get a specific type/avoid specific
      types? Is doing my own refilling not worth the hassle and/or likely to
      cause damage to the printer?

      Also, the manual mentions that the printer takes "standard SIMMs" but then
      tells you to only buy HP memory modules; third party resellers are telling
      me it will take standard 60ns 72-pin FPM SIMMs (of which I have many), but
      I'm not sure I can trust them... can anyone confirm or deny?

      Thanks,
      Alexey