Speaking of 286's

  • Brian Cirulnick
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 19, 2009
      Speaking of the 286 (calm down Evan)...

      Does anyone have information or can point me to a resource to find out more about the old "Digital Arts" 3-D software system?

      It used an IBM 286 essentially as an interface and power supply, but the real work was done by a $20,000 "difinicon" board that used a 68030 for rendering, output to a Targa board, and then was output to a... (fairlane, fairchild?, something that started with an "f") that converted the targa to NTSC and also controlled a single frame tape deck.

      I remember using the damn thing in the late 80's/early 90's, but can't remember all the hardware involved.

      Just for reference, it was one of the popular packages that everyone had on their reel at the time, spinning logos usually accompanied by the music from Yello's "Oh Yeah" or ELO's "Fire on High".