RE: [midatlanticretro] newbie computers

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 24, 2005

      From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Joe Giliberti
      Sent: Saturday, September 24, 2005 8:26 PM
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] newbie computers

      Kelly Leavitt wrote:

      > Joe:
      >   Where
      are you located? I have an Atari 520ST (but no monitor). I paid $5
      > for
      it at a yard sale. If you can come get it, you can have it.

      Picked up a Mac 1Meg today at a Self-Store sale for $5, including SCSI

      hard
      > drive (I'm keeping that).
      >
      > I'm located in NW New
      Jersey.

      > Kelly

      Eh, I got to try to stay closer than that. I'm in Jackson twp, which is
      in northern Ocean county, and unlike most, if not everyone else here, I
      still have to rely on my parents for transportation.
      Got a question, though. There's a store not far from me called Cash
      Converters. They're kind of like a pawn shop, but its just buying and
      selling. Has anyone ever got anything at one of these?

      -Joe
    • Kelly Leavitt
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 24, 2005

        If we have a swap meet at InfoAge I'll bring it along. That's not very far
        from Jackson, and if nothing else I'll be passing through there on my way.

        > Got a question, though. There's a store not far from me called Cash
        > Converters. They're kind of like a pawn shop, but its just buying and
        > selling. Has anyone ever got anything at one of these?

        My experience with pawn shops in this area and in Arkansas is that they
        generally don't take in older computers. If it's not the current high end
        they're not interested.

        Stopped in several thrift stores on a recent excursion to Vermont. Most (3
        of 4) had signs right at the door that they don't accept computers of any
        kind.

        Anyone else have any experience with stores like these?

        Kelly
      • Mindless Automaton
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 26, 2005
          Kelly Leavitt wrote:

> [...]

          Unfortunately, thrift stores have been getting shafted by accepting
          PCs. If they get something they can't
          sell, they have to pay for disposal.

          http://www.goodwill.org/page/guest/about/whatwedo/misc/successstories/SUCCESSSTORYWINNINGSOLUTIONEWASTEFULL
          (In particular, the left sidebar under the photo)

          Instead of declining completely, I wish they'd take PCs for a fee to
          cover disposal if the item doesn't sell.

          My dad in WI used to buy PC/Mac/etc. stuff all the time from the
          Goodwill stores, but they don't sell
          it anymore I guess. Not sure how the NJ Goodwill stores work. The
          local one by me has had an
          entire computer setup for like $300 and occasionally had speakers and a
          joystick or two, but thats about it.

          I haven't hit any local pawn shops to check them out. I've heard that
          the farmer's market around here is
          a good place to hit for stuff, but I've never gone over there either.

          I've had more success at picking up curbside PCs, which isn't always
          legal however. (In my township,
          you can get ticketed for it) As a rule, I only take what's in plain
          sight, which means never opening
          bags or boxes (even if its a PC box!). If I'm on a particular busy
          street where I feel I might get caught,
          I'll go to the house, ring the bell and ask if they mind if I take the
          PC (err.. during daylight hours only of course!)
          (Did that once, usually has to be an unusual item however)

          -dave
        • Joe Giliberti
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 26, 2005
            Mindless Automaton wrote:
            Kelly Leavitt wrote:

            > If we have a swap meet at InfoAge I'll bring it along. That's not very far
            > from Jackson, and if nothing else I'll be passing through there on my way.

            If there's a swap meet in Wall, I'll get there. Not far at all. I might not be able to "swap" much of anthing, other than cash.

            -Joe
          • Evan
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 26, 2005
              Hello Mindless Automation... haven't seen your email address here before, so hello and welcome to our group!

              Tell us about yourself.

              - Evan K., MARCH prez

              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 26, 2005
                Evan wrote:
                Hello Mindless Automation... haven't seen your email address here before, so hello and welcome to our group!

                Tell us about yourself.

                - Evan K., MARCH prez

                Are you one with the Borg?
              • David Collins
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 3, 2005
                  Evan wrote:
                  Hello Mindless Automation... haven't seen your email address here before, so hello and welcome to our group!

                  Tell us about yourself.

                  - Evan K., MARCH prez
                  Oops.. sorry about that.  Didn't realize I was set to use my bbs email address.  Anyhow, I picked up
                  on this group from a post from CHLUG (http://www.chlug.org)  I guess I don't currently own anything
                  (according to the FAQ) that is vintage except maybe an IBM PS/2 (just because its different than
                  your ordinary Intel-type except it has Win95 on it :o.)  Maybe the old PowerMac 6100/66 could be,
                  its got the extra special PDS slots.. or it can use a Apple/DOS compatibility card and run DOS!
                  Maybe not vintage, but unusual I guess.  I had a stack of C64's, but I gave them all away when I
                  moved out east.

                  I started on Apple IIe & Mac Plus I guess.. Worked on TSR80s.. Commodores were big with my friends
                  and I due to the abundance of games.. never really got into console game systems.  Mostly work on
                  Windows machines now.

                  As in the previous post, I have no problem dumpster diving for interesting hardware..

                  -dave

                • chrism3667
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 3, 2005
                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, David Collins
                    <collinsd75@c...> wrote:

                    > As in the previous post, I have no problem dumpster diving for
                    > interesting hardware..

                    A man after my own heart. I was actually going to suggest a "weekend
                    dive" as a group outing. Of course it's tough to find one vintage
                    puter sitting somewhere on the wayside, much less a whole skip full,
                    so newer stuph would be the order of the day (or wee hours of the
                    night rather). But it's in line with the hacker spirit, and a great
                    way for gooroos to bond too!
                  • Evan
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 3, 2005
                      Cool, thanks for sharing your story.