Museum posters

    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 13, 2009
      I made seven posters tonight. Tomorrow I'm going to print them in the
      17-x-22 size and laminate them (how cool is it that InfoAge now has a
      plotter and large-format lamination machine?) .... these will hang in
      the MARCH hallway (our side of building 9032-C) in time for the big
      re-opening this Sunday. Then, sometime this summer, we'll mount the
      posters on foam (or whatever) and arrange them in an exhibit. Probably
      a nice semi-circle that people can walk through, with room to add more
      panels as we learn more about computers at Camp Evans.

      All of the facts in these posters are accurate to the best of my
      knowledge. None of the posters are "permanent" so we can always change
      the details if clarifications or corrections arise.

      Don't worry if you cannot read some of the details -- they will look
      fine at the 17 x 22 size.

      Here are the small (8.5 x 11) versions in .pdf files:
      http://www.snarc.net/posters/

      Enjoy.
    • Dan Roganti

        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 15, 2009

          Made another poster: http://snarc.net/posters/8_micromodule.pdf ... enjoy.
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 16, 2009

            ...And a ninth!  http://snarc.net/posters/9_misc.pdf
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 16, 2009

              >>> I made seven posters tonight.
              >> Made another poster:http://snarc.net/posters/8_micromodule.pdf ... enjoy.
              > ...And a ninth! http://snarc.net/posters/9_misc.pdf
              Lucky #10: http://snarc.net/posters/10_summary-poster.pdf ... this one
              can go on the exhibit room door, so visitors still learn something even
              when our room is closed ... it can also go elsewhere at InfoAge, i.e. in
              the Hotel and guard shack hallways.
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 16, 2009
                Evan,

                I took some time to read each poster.  Thank you for taking the time to make them and I hope they print well for MARCH display.

                Bill

                Evan Koblentz wrote:
                I made seven posters tonight.

                Made another poster: http://snarc.net/posters/8_micromodule.pdf ... enjoy.

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • evan@snarc.net
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 16, 2009
                  >>> I took some time to read each poster.  Thank you for taking the time to make them and I hope they print well for MARCH display. Bill

                  Thanks Bill.

                  I was diligent about fact-checking and not over-reaching where the "facts" are vague or unknown).

                  InfoAge's color plotter and laminator both work great and are easy to use. Some of the scanned details that look bad at 8.5x11 actually look decent at 17x22.

                  After I print these, we can make them into a self-interpretive exhibit. The summary poster goes elsewhere, so there are nine posters in the exhibit, three per side of a small room. We can also see if we have one artifact that goes with each poster to put on tables or pedestals beneath them.

                  Just off the cuff, we have:
                  1. - UNIVAC-era part for ENIAC display (with a small sign explaining that)
                  2. - should be easy to find transistors, and InfoAge / NJARC has bazillions of vacuum tubes
                  3. EAI, we've got the TR-20 thanks to Nick
                  4. Penn diff analyzer ... ??????
                  5. IBM-MIT ... maybe something related to SAGE loaned to us from the friendly Mike Loewen....?
                  6. MOBIDIC, we have a small part of one thanks to Steve
                  7. IBM ... we'll come up with something small because our Big Blue stuff is too large for this exhibit
                  8. Micro-Module ... I don't know for sure but I hope we can find an actual module(s)
                  9. Misc poster ... easy
                • Mike Loewen
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 16, 2009
                    On Tue, 16 Jun 2009, evan@... wrote:

                    > After I print these, we can make them into a self-interpretive exhibit.
                    > The summary poster goes elsewhere, so there are nine posters in the
                    > exhibit, three per side of a small room. We can also see if we have one
                    > artifact that goes with each poster to put on tables or pedestals
                    > beneath them.
                    >
                    > Just off the cuff, we have:
                    >
                    > 5. IBM-MIT ... maybe something related to SAGE loaned to us from the
                    > friendly Mike Loewen....?

                    I might be persuaded to lend the museum a SAGE pluggable unit, if you
                    can get the radio guys to populate it with some tubes.

                    Since the document in question is about a trip to Camp Evans to look at
                    displays, it's too bad we're not on the other coast. I know someone with
                    a 19" Charactron CRT from a SAGE display console. :-)

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  • Dan Roganti
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 16, 2009

                      Evan Koblentz wrote:
                      I made seven posters tonight.

                      Made another poster:http://snarc.net/posters/8_micromodule.pdf  ... enjoy.

                      ...And a ninth! http://snarc.net/posters/9_misc.pdf

                      Lucky #10: http://snarc.net/posters/10_summary-poster.pdf ...

                      All of this info should also go up on the InfoAge website, in html rather than pdf so people can search the info.

                      =Dan
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 16, 2009
                        > All of this info should also go up on the InfoAge website, in html
                        > rather than pdf so people can search the info.
                        Yup. Working on that.

                        Meanwhile I put the summary poster into a simple HTML file and posted
                        the link in our group main description. The file is accessible even to
                        non-group members and people who aren't signed in to Yahoo.
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 16, 2009
                          All of this info should also go up on the InfoAge website, in html
                          rather than pdf so people can search the info.

                          Yup.  Working on that.

                          Meanwhile I put the summary poster into a simple HTML file and posted
                          the link in our group main description.  The file is accessible even to
                          non-group members and people who aren't signed in to Yahoo.

                          Okay dudes .... go to infoage.org, click exhibits, then click vintage computers.

                          Bill: the files are on hosted on InfoAge's site, so can zap the old marchclub.org files.
                        • trailingedge.geo
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 17, 2009
                            > I might be persuaded to lend the museum a SAGE pluggable unit, if you
                            > can get the radio guys to populate it with some tubes.

                            What kinda tubes?

                            --Dave Sica
                          • Joe Giliberti
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 17, 2009
                              On another note, is there an actual link on our infoage site to our primary website.

                              Joe

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 17, 2009
                                On Wed, 17 Jun 2009, trailingedge.geo wrote:

                                > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:
                                >> I might be persuaded to lend the museum a SAGE pluggable unit, if you
                                >> can get the radio guys to populate it with some tubes.
                                >
                                > What kinda tubes?

                                An assortment of 7 and 9-pin miniature, and 8-pin full-size tubes.
                                When I used these PUs in my VCF East exhibit last year, I just installed
                                some old radio/TV tubes I had on had:

                                http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/VCF-East2008/VCFEast2008-5L.jpg

                                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 17, 2009
                                  > Okay dudes .... go to infoage.org, click exhibits, then click vintage
                                  > computers.
                                  Steve suggested that our InfoAge site font should be easier to read -- a
                                  not-too-bright shade of terminal-esque green, not white, and using block
                                  letters, not Courier.

                                  I sent those changes just now. Presumably they'll be uploaded when John
                                  Brown checks his email tomorrow morning.
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jun 17, 2009
                                    Okay dudes .... go to infoage.org, click exhibits, then click vintage
                                    computers.

                                    Steve suggested that our InfoAge site font should be easier to read -- a
                                    not-too-bright shade of terminal-esque green, not white, and using block
                                    letters, not Courier.

                                    I sent those changes just now.  Presumably they'll be uploaded when John
                                    Brown checks his email tomorrow morning.

                                    Good news, John caught my email and uploaded the new files already.

                                  • Dan Roganti
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jun 20, 2009

                                      Evan Koblentz wrote:

                                      Okay dudes .... go to infoage.org, click exhibits, then click vintage computers.

                                      Where's the other 9 pages[posters] ?
                                      I only see the one from the "9_misc.pdf" poster
                                      I tried reloading in case the cache wasn't loaded.

                                      =Dan

                                    • evan@snarc.net
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jun 20, 2009
                                        I don't want to post those on the InfoAge site. They're an exhibit ... Better to give people a teaser and get them to come see the rest.

                                        From: Dan Roganti
                                        Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 09:54:08 -0400
                                        To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
                                        Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] MARCH on infoage.org