newbie computers

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 23, 2005
      All right. Being a newbie to vintage computers, I've compiled a short
      list of what I want to try and find at first. If you have any
      suggestions for others, tell me.

      (no particular order)
      TRS-80
      Color Computer 1
      Atari 800
      Atart ST 520
      Apple IIe Platinum
      Apple IIc
      Apple IIgs
      Mac Classic
      Commodore 64
      Amiga 500
      TI/99 4a
      Some type of luggable

      Is eBay a good place to look?

      -Joe
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 23, 2005
        Joe,

        Since you're looking for mainstream stuff, eBay will serve you fine.

        But don't go there first!  You are better off using http://www.vintagecomputermarketplace.com and http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum because those sites are specific to our hobby.

        In fact, I bet that many of those systems are easily found on this list too.  So give people here a few days to reply before looking elsewhere.  (Come on, MARCHers!  This guy's 16, let's help him get started!)

        Our museum collection includes an IBM 5150, which is a second-gen "luggable".  Currently it's in the hands of Kelly Leavitt, who lives up in northwestern NJ, but perhaps sometime you guys can meet up.  (We're thinking about having some kind of club "tech day" or maybe even a swap meet this fall.)

        - Evan

        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 23, 2005
          Evan wrote:
          Joe,

          Our museum collection includes an IBM 5150, which is a second-gen "luggable".  Currently it's in the hands of Kelly Leavitt, who lives up in northwestern NJ, but perhaps sometime you guys can meet up.  (We're thinking about having some kind of club "tech day" or maybe even a swap meet this fall.)

          - Evan

          I thought it was the 5155 that was a luggable?
        • Evan
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 23, 2005
            Typo, sorry.

            Our museum collection includes an IBM 5150, which is a second-gen "luggable".  Currently it's in the hands of Kelly Leavitt, who lives up in northwestern NJ, but perhaps sometime you guys can meet up.  (We're thinking about having some kind of club "tech day" or maybe even a swap meet this fall.)

            - Evan

            I thought it was the 5155 that was a luggable?
          • Vintage Computer Festival
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 24, 2005
              On Sat, 24 Sep 2005, Joe Giliberti wrote:

              > All right. Being a newbie to vintage computers, I've compiled a short
              > list of what I want to try and find at first. If you have any
              > suggestions for others, tell me.
              >

              > (no particular order)
              > TRS-80
              > Color Computer 1
              > Atari 800
              > Atart ST 520
              > Apple IIe Platinum
              > Apple IIc
              > Apple IIgs
              > Mac Classic
              > Commodore 64
              > Amiga 500
              > TI/99 4a
              > Some type of luggable
              >
              > Is eBay a good place to look?

              Sure, if you want to overpay and then have to pay for shipping. The
              absolute BEST place to look is your own backyard (i.e. your city and
              town).

              Read this:

              Finding Vintage Computers
              http://www.vintage.org/content.php?id=001

              And also try the Vintage Computer Marketplace:

              http://marketplace.vintage.org

              --

              Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival

            • Vintage Computer Festival
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 24, 2005
                On Sat, 24 Sep 2005, Evan wrote:

                > Typo, sorry.

                Man, you got schooled by a teenager just starting out!

                :)

                --

                Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival

              • billdeg@aol.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 24, 2005
                  For the items you listed, you will have plenty of choices, Ebay or a vintage
                  computer-centric site. You likely will find a seller that's near enough to
                  you that you can pick the item up and save on shipping.

                  If the seller cannot answer the question "Have you tested / does this work?"
                  you should seek other sellers unless you have no other options.

                  I have bought/sold items on ebay and vintagecomputermarketplace.com, I like
                  them both.

                  "the kid" writes:

                  > Is eBay a good place to look?
                • Chris M
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 24, 2005
                    Joe...I might be able to help you out with some of
                    that stuph. Theres this guy in Eatontown that has
                    loads of stuph, in his basement...living room...dining
                    room...guest bedroom...attic...crawl space ad nauseum.
                    Lots of junk, but some of it works it seems. I can
                    only go over there on Sundays, cant go tomorrow, and
                    will probably be working the next 3. Ill let you know
                    though.
                    --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                    <starbase89@...> wrote:
                    > All right. Being a newbie to vintage computers, I've
                    compiled a short
                    > list of what I want to try and find at first. If you
                    have any
                    > suggestions for others, tell me.
                    >

                    > (no particular order)
                    > TRS-80
                    > Color Computer 1
                    > Atari 800
                    > Atart ST 520
                    > Apple IIe Platinum
                    > Apple IIc
                    > Apple IIgs
                    > Mac Classic
                    > Commodore 64
                    > Amiga 500
                    > TI/99 4a
                    > Some type of luggable
                    >
                    > Is eBay a good place to look?
                    >
                    > -Joe

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Kelly Leavitt
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 24, 2005
                      Joe:
                      Where are you located? I have an Atari 520ST (but no monitor). I paid $5
                      for it at a yard sale. If you can come get it, you can have it.

                      Picked up a Mac 1Meg today at a Self-Store sale for $5, including SCSI hard
                      drive (I'm keeping that).

                      I'm located in NW New Jersey.

                      Kelly

                    • Joe Giliberti
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 24, 2005
                        Kelly Leavitt wrote:

                        > Joe:
                        > Where are you located? I have an Atari 520ST (but no monitor). I paid $5
                        > for it at a yard sale. If you can come get it, you can have it.
                        >
                        > Picked up a Mac 1Meg today at a Self-Store sale for $5, including SCSI
                        > hard
                        > drive (I'm keeping that).
                        >
                        > I'm located in NW New Jersey.
                        >
                        > Kelly

                        Eh, I got to try to stay closer than that. I'm in Jackson twp, which is
                        in northern Ocean county, and unlike most, if not everyone else here, I
                        still have to rely on my parents for transportation.
                        Got a question, though. There's a store not far from me called Cash
                        Converters. They're kind of like a pawn shop, but its just buying and
                        selling. Has anyone ever got anything at one of these?

                        -Joe
                      • Evan
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 24, 2005

                          are you located? I have an Atari 520ST (but no monitor). I paid $5
                          > for
                          it at a yard sale. If you can come get it, you can have it.

                          Picked up a Mac 1Meg today at a Self-Store sale for $5, including SCSI

                          hard
                          > drive (I'm keeping that).
                          >
                          > I'm located in NW New
                          Jersey.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 24, 2005

                            If we have a swap meet at InfoAge I'll bring it along. That's not very far
                            from Jackson, and if nothing else I'll be passing through there on my way.

                            > Got a question, though. There's a store not far from me called Cash
                            > Converters. They're kind of like a pawn shop, but its just buying and
                            > selling. Has anyone ever got anything at one of these?

                            My experience with pawn shops in this area and in Arkansas is that they
                            generally don't take in older computers. If it's not the current high end
                            they're not interested.

                            Stopped in several thrift stores on a recent excursion to Vermont. Most (3
                            of 4) had signs right at the door that they don't accept computers of any
                            kind.

                            Anyone else have any experience with stores like these?

                            Kelly
                          • Mindless Automaton
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 26, 2005
                              Kelly Leavitt wrote:

> [...]

                              Unfortunately, thrift stores have been getting shafted by accepting
                              PCs. If they get something they can't
                              sell, they have to pay for disposal.

                              http://www.goodwill.org/page/guest/about/whatwedo/misc/successstories/SUCCESSSTORYWINNINGSOLUTIONEWASTEFULL
                              (In particular, the left sidebar under the photo)

                              Instead of declining completely, I wish they'd take PCs for a fee to
                              cover disposal if the item doesn't sell.

                              My dad in WI used to buy PC/Mac/etc. stuff all the time from the
                              Goodwill stores, but they don't sell
                              it anymore I guess. Not sure how the NJ Goodwill stores work. The
                              local one by me has had an
                              entire computer setup for like $300 and occasionally had speakers and a
                              joystick or two, but thats about it.

                              I haven't hit any local pawn shops to check them out. I've heard that
                              the farmer's market around here is
                              a good place to hit for stuff, but I've never gone over there either.

                              I've had more success at picking up curbside PCs, which isn't always
                              legal however. (In my township,
                              you can get ticketed for it) As a rule, I only take what's in plain
                              sight, which means never opening
                              bags or boxes (even if its a PC box!). If I'm on a particular busy
                              street where I feel I might get caught,
                              I'll go to the house, ring the bell and ask if they mind if I take the
                              PC (err.. during daylight hours only of course!)
                              (Did that once, usually has to be an unusual item however)

                              -dave
                            • Joe Giliberti
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 26, 2005
                                Mindless Automaton wrote:
                                Kelly Leavitt wrote:

                                > If we have a swap meet at InfoAge I'll bring it along. That's not very far
                                > from Jackson, and if nothing else I'll be passing through there on my way.

                                If there's a swap meet in Wall, I'll get there. Not far at all. I might not be able to "swap" much of anthing, other than cash.

                                -Joe
                              • Evan
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 26, 2005
                                  Hello Mindless Automation... haven't seen your email address here before, so hello and welcome to our group!

                                  Tell us about yourself.

                                  - Evan K., MARCH prez

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 26, 2005
                                    Evan wrote:
                                    Hello Mindless Automation... haven't seen your email address here before, so hello and welcome to our group!

                                    Tell us about yourself.

                                    - Evan K., MARCH prez

                                    Are you one with the Borg?
                                  • David Collins
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 3, 2005
                                      Evan wrote:
                                      Hello Mindless Automation... haven't seen your email address here before, so hello and welcome to our group!

                                      Tell us about yourself.

                                      - Evan K., MARCH prez
                                      Oops.. sorry about that.  Didn't realize I was set to use my bbs email address.  Anyhow, I picked up
                                      on this group from a post from CHLUG (http://www.chlug.org)  I guess I don't currently own anything
                                      (according to the FAQ) that is vintage except maybe an IBM PS/2 (just because its different than
                                      your ordinary Intel-type except it has Win95 on it :o.)  Maybe the old PowerMac 6100/66 could be,
                                      its got the extra special PDS slots.. or it can use a Apple/DOS compatibility card and run DOS!
                                      Maybe not vintage, but unusual I guess.  I had a stack of C64's, but I gave them all away when I
                                      moved out east.

                                      I started on Apple IIe & Mac Plus I guess.. Worked on TSR80s.. Commodores were big with my friends
                                      and I due to the abundance of games.. never really got into console game systems.  Mostly work on
                                      Windows machines now.

                                      As in the previous post, I have no problem dumpster diving for interesting hardware..

                                      -dave

                                    • chrism3667
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 3, 2005
                                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, David Collins
                                        <collinsd75@c...> wrote:

                                        > As in the previous post, I have no problem dumpster diving for
                                        > interesting hardware..

                                        A man after my own heart. I was actually going to suggest a "weekend
                                        dive" as a group outing. Of course it's tough to find one vintage
                                        puter sitting somewhere on the wayside, much less a whole skip full,
                                        so newer stuph would be the order of the day (or wee hours of the
                                        night rather). But it's in line with the hacker spirit, and a great
                                        way for gooroos to bond too!
                                      • Evan
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Oct 3, 2005
                                          Cool, thanks for sharing your story.