Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: starting out

  • Chris M
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 21, 2005
      --- Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

      > If the machine does boot,
      > the DOS is 2.0 so it
      > supports loadable device drivers.

      I would have guessed that it's version of DOS is
      customized just like all the sort-of-compatibles. But
      I had thought that MS-DOS utilizes (perhaps heavily)
      the programming interfaces built into the bios rom. I
      could be wrong. But if that's so, I'm surprised there
      was a version of DOS available for it at all. Was
      there a DOS available for Multibus 8086 systems?
      Regardless of the fact that it runs DOS 2.0, I think
      it's a function of the bios to search for a rom
      associated with a graphics controller.

      > The Gazelle's 8" floppies have 1024 byte sectors,
      > not the 512 used by just
      > about ever other DOS machine on the planet.

      I'm too lazy to do a simple search right now, but I'm
      thinking all 8" drives use 1024 byte sectors. Bracing
      for possible incoming *eggs*, my APC has 8" floppies,
      so my guess is that they're both compatible in that
      way at least. The Xerox 16/8 had as an option 8"
      drives, but those I don't have with mine (it is
      available though).
      The program written by Dave Dunfield (ImageDisk)
      would handle all that though I think. If you need
      particular help with something, he's very
      knowledgeable. The owner of one of the more notable
      vintage sites has a Gazelle Jim. You could enquire
      about software from that dude. If you're too busy,
      I'll do it for you. I want to see that bad-boy
      running, and even if it means taking a trip up there
      (with my APC) at some point, I'm willing.

      > If I had
      > connected an 8" floppy
      > to a PC, the sector size would become the next
      > challenge.

      I've been told recently that 8" drives can be readily
      replaced with high density 1.2 meggers. Not sure if
      it'll work the other way around though. I'm going to
      be playing with this stuph more in the coming weeks....

      http://mail.yahoo.com