Exciting changes at InfoAge

    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 3, 2009
      Something exciting is happening next week. For the first time, InfoAge
      is running a radio commercial on the local FM station (107.1 and 99.7
      for anyone in NJ and south of the Raritan River). We have a 60-second
      ad that will run four times a day, usually during the morning commute,
      from Sun. June 7 to Sat. June 13.

      Then, on Sun. June 14, we're doing an experiment -- visitors will enter
      through the guard shack, where they'll be given a brief welcome and a
      campus map. Just like in a regular museum (or more like at a theme
      park, considering that we have a large campus rather than just one
      building), people will follow the map to go visit whatever exhibits they
      want to see.

      This is markedly different from our current arrangement, in which
      visitors enter the hotel and then are taken on a long tour of all
      exhibits, basically following what InfoAge wants them to see instead of
      making their own decisions about what's interesting. The guard shack
      will also be the only exit, so that all visitors will have two
      opportunities to contribute to the InfoAge donations jar.

      Dan L. from the diving club is making signs this week. Some will be
      outdoor signs for the buildings, with simple wording like "computer
      museum", "radio museum", etc.; others will be indoor directional signs.

      I strongly supported this plan in our last week weekly meetings, and I'm
      looking forward to seeing if we get more visitors than usual on the 14th
      because of the radio ad. It will be great to see visitors reading the
      map and walking all around campus looking for different exhibits. This
      approach should make InfoAge a much more lively place on Sundays.

      More changes will happen this summer and fall. Our computer museum will
      expand to fill four rooms; the empty rooms across the hall from us will
      become an electronic warfare museum; the military tech club will move to
      a room down the hall from us; and our wing will get working restrooms.
      Additional smaller exhibits will open in the hotel -- a black history
      exhibit (related to Camp Evans specifically), a Tektronix exhibit
      (because Howard Vollum got his start at Camp Evans), an A/V studio (in
      our old computer exhibit room), etc.

      This is all happening simultaneous with other major campus
      improvements. InfoAge spent nearly $50,000 in the past couple of months
      to re-roof several buildings! More roof repairs will happen soon on
      some of the H-buildings. Other perimeter buildings are being painted,
      so that the public sees progress when they drive past and look through
      our fence. Old internal fences that blocked our access to the former
      Army portion are now gone, so nerds like us can now be "free range"
      nerds. :) Also there is a contractor painting the massive satellite
      dish, the building adjacent to the dish is getting a handicap ramp,
      various volunteers are beautifying the campus and landscaping where
      possible ..... the list goes on and on .... all despite some grumpy and
      greedy people who've been saying for 10 years (long pre-MARCH) that it
      can't be done.

      MARCH does our small part, and I keep hearing compliments from inside
      our group, and especially from other groups at InfoAge. I think our
      club's progress is MORE impressive than some of the other groups'
      because of MARCHins' geographic sprawl and because we're still the
      newest, poorest club at InfoAge -- and yet we've accomplished some
      things in terms of exhibits and events that make other clubs try to
      duplicate our success. Today I even heard people at the museum talking
      about what a killer party we threw this weekend, and how they wish their
      clubs could do the same.

      So: rock on! We'll have several work days this summer. I'll try to
      announce them as far in advance as possible, although sometimes they're
      spontaneous based on my schedule. It makes us look GREAT when the other
      InfoAge volunteers and management see MARCH people other than myself
      showing up to work, not just showing up for the big events.
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 3, 2009

        > Something exciting is happening next week. For the first time, InfoAge
        > is running a radio commercial on the local FM station (107.1 and 99.7
        > for anyone in NJ and south of the Raritan River). We have a 60-second
        > ad that will run four times a day, usually during the morning commute,
        > from Sun. June 7 to Sat. June 13.

        Here's the ad: http://www.snarc.net/radio.mp3 .... I'm not supposed to
        host the file, but I figured you might all want to hear it, and most of
        you can't get central NJ radio stations. So, keep it hush-hush. :)
      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 4, 2009

          Evan Koblentz wrote:
          Something exciting is happening next week.  For the first time, InfoAge
          is running a radio commercial

          It sounds really good, maybe this will give enough reason together with the new renovations to open up the whole weekend to accommodate more visitors.

          Then, on Sun. June 14, we're doing an experiment -- visitors will enter
          through the guard shack, where they'll be given a brief welcome and a
          campus map.

          And on VCF nite, Marchin's get to enjoy a live version of Text Adventure while they explore late at nite and experience the original text based style of gaming -- Get Lamp !    :)

          This is all happening simultaneous with other major campus
          improvements.  InfoAge spent nearly $50,000 in the past couple of months
          to re-roof several buildings!
          From all this work, it should continue to put Infoage on the map for the whole country !

          I wished I lived closer
          =Dan

        • Joe Giliberti
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 4, 2009
            Awesome!
            Quick question, though. Wouldn't it be more pertinent to build a wheelchair ramp into the main hotel building?

            On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 7:15 AM, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

            Evan Koblentz wrote:
            Something exciting is happening next week.  For the first time, InfoAge
            is running a radio commercial

            It sounds really good, maybe this will give enough reason together with the new renovations to open up the whole weekend to accommodate more visitors.

            Then, on Sun. June 14, we're doing an experiment -- visitors will enter
            through the guard shack, where they'll be given a brief welcome and a
            campus map.

            And on VCF nite, Marchin's get to enjoy a live version of Text Adventure while they explore late at nite and experience the original text based style of gaming -- Get Lamp !    :)

            This is all happening simultaneous with other major campus
            improvements.  InfoAge spent nearly $50,000 in the past couple of months
            to re-roof several buildings!
            From all this work, it should continue to put Infoage on the map for the whole country !

            I wished I lived closer
            =Dan

          • Joe Giliberti
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 4, 2009
              Another question. Why is the radio ad so kid-centric? We've had a good share of adult visitors? Is the idea to try and people besides people like ourselves by using their kids as magnet?

              On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 2:48 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

              > Something exciting is happening next week. For the first time, InfoAge
              > is running a radio commercial on the local FM station (107.1 and 99.7
              > for anyone in NJ and south of the Raritan River). We have a 60-second
              > ad that will run four times a day, usually during the morning commute,
              > from Sun. June 7 to Sat. June 13.

              Here's the ad: http://www.snarc.net/radio.mp3 .... I'm not supposed to
              host the file, but I figured you might all want to hear it, and most of
              you can't get central NJ radio stations. So, keep it hush-hush. :)

            • Bill Degnan
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 4, 2009
                I believe that this has always been the focus of the marketing of InfoAge.
                Scouts, school trips, etc. - education.

                > Another question. Why is the radio ad so kid-centric? We've had a good
                share
                > of adult visitors? Is the idea to try and people besides people like
                > ourselves by using their kids as magnet?

              • Brian Cirulnick
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 4, 2009
                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Joe Giliberti <Starbase89@...> wrote:

                  > Another question. Why is the radio ad so kid-centric? We've had a good share
                  > of adult visitors? Is the idea to try and people besides people like
                  > ourselves by using their kids as magnet?
                  ----------------------

                  I could totally see why the focus on *learning* should be on kids. If you look at the big picture, we're currently weaning the stupidest generation in the history of this nation.

                  Sure, they all know how to use a cell-phone and play videogames, but that's about it. I remember trying to get my nephew to learn electronics and programming, and all my efforts were wasted. He did not want to know how stuff worked, he just wanted to play games.

                  We, as a country, no longer *make* anything. We are totally reliant on Chinese engineering, which is a disaster-in-progress. We are already paying the price of a horrendous economy, and unless we get back to actually having an industrial base, it is unlikely that this country is going to get out of it's problems.

                  The only people that are going to save us is a future generation that can engineer and innovate like we did in the last century. Unfortunately, unless something is done to inspire these kids towards that goal, we're going end up with "Idiocracy", and America will become a bankrupt third-world nation with nuclear weapons.

                  So, yeah, getting kids to come to infoage and understand the basics of technology is a good thing.
                • Joe Giliberti
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 4, 2009
                    The problem, though, is that most exhibits (save for ours) are non-interactive, and ours are just 10 micros.

                  • evan@snarc.net
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 4, 2009
                      >>> It sounds really good, maybe this will give enough reason together with the new renovations to open up the whole weekend to accommodate more visitors.

                      That would be nice. We need to be open at least 15 hours per week to get into the AAA tour books. But staffing our wing both days would be a challenge for MARCH.
                    • evan@snarc.net
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 4, 2009
                        >>> Quick question, though. Wouldn't it be more pertinent to build a wheelchair ramp into the main hotel building?

                        A nice-looking wheelchair ramp for the main building is being planned. Fred has people who are working on rectifying the conflicts between ADA rules and historic preservation rules. Meanwhile we have the back ramp and a few times we used a very temporary ramp over the small curb going into the MARCH wing. It's not pretty but it works.

                        The reason we're doing the TIROS access is because next year is the 50th anniversary of that technology and we want InfoAge's aspect to be part of NASA and NOAA celebrations. Good publicity and grant opportunities.
                      • evan@snarc.net
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 4, 2009
                          >>> Why is the radio ad so kid-centric?

                          Kids typically come * with * their parents ...

                          Diver Dan, Dave S. from NJARC, and myself co-wrote the ad. We didn't intend to make it "kid-centric" but that's a good point for next time -- perhaps we should put something in about how there are adult exhibits too.
                        • evan@snarc.net
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 4, 2009
                            >>> I believe that this has always been the focus of the marketing of InfoAge. Scouts, school trips, etc. - education.

                            I think our ideal visitors are bright teens / pre-teens, community-minded parents, and seniors with military and/or tech backgrounds.
                          • evan@snarc.net
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 4, 2009
                              >>> The problem, though, is that most exhibits (save for ours) are non-interactive

                              That's not true. Other than the diving club, all groups have interactive exhibits. Some more/less than others, but it's a goal we're all working toward. Even the diving guys.

                              >>> and ours are just 10 micros

                              Hey now, quit being so pessimistic. What we have is a good start. Jim's long-term idea for "The Green Screen Experience" instead of modern info kiosks is a GREAT idea. We'll be able to do that, maybe with one terminal per exhibit (not per articaft), after we flesh out our rooms this summer.
                            • Joe Giliberti
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 4, 2009
                                I''m not pessimistic, I'm realistic. I don't see the glass as half full or half empty. I see it as containing a potable liquid that encompassed half the glass' volume
                                :)

                                On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 11:59 AM, <evan@...> wrote:

                                >>> The problem, though, is that most exhibits (save for ours) are non-interactive

                                That's not true. Other than the diving club, all groups have interactive exhibits. Some more/less than others, but it's a goal we're all working toward. Even the diving guys.

                                >>> and ours are just 10 micros

                                Hey now, quit being so pessimistic. What we have is a good start. Jim's long-term idea for "The Green Screen Experience" instead of modern info kiosks is a GREAT idea. We'll be able to do that, maybe with one terminal per exhibit (not per articaft), after we flesh out our rooms this summer.

                              • Eric Adler
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 4, 2009
                                  "The Green Screen Experience"? Hmmm?

                                  On 6/4/09, evan@... <evan@...> wrote:

                                  > That's not true. Other than the diving club, all groups have interactive
                                  > exhibits. Some more/less than others, but it's a goal we're all working
                                  > toward. Even the diving guys.

                                  > Hey now, quit being so pessimistic. What we have is a good start. Jim's
                                  > long-term idea for "The Green Screen Experience" instead of modern info
                                  > kiosks is a GREAT idea. We'll be able to do that, maybe with one terminal
                                  > per exhibit (not per articaft), after we flesh out our rooms this summer.

                                  Sent from my mobile device
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 4, 2009

                                    > "The Green Screen Experience"? Hmmm?

                                    We'll use text terminals ("green screens") instead of W.I.M.P. kiosks.
                                  • Jeffrey Frady
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jun 4, 2009
                                      Nothing like a good dose of radiation for the kids!

                                      --
                                      See you space cowboy...
                                    • Ray Sills
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jun 4, 2009
                                        Radiation??

                                        On Jun 4, 2009, at 6:06 PM, Jeffrey Frady wrote:

                                        > Nothing like a good dose of radiation for the kids!
                                        >
                                        > On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 3:14 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                                        >

                                        > > "The Green Screen Experience"? Hmmm?
                                        > >
                                        > We'll use text terminals ("green screens") instead of W.I.M.P. kiosks.
                                        >

                                        > --
                                        > See you space cowboy...

                                      • Jeffrey Frady
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jun 4, 2009
                                          I remember hearing somewhere that those types of monitors emitted higher amounts radiation than they should have.

                                          --
                                          See you space cowboy...
                                        • Joe Giliberti
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jun 4, 2009
                                            I know they are worse when concerning eye strain, but they probably have as much shielding as any other CRT.

                                            --
                                            See you space cowboy...