Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: makeshift IBM monitor

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009
      -------- Original Message --------

      in an IBM fail so badly as to scrape up disks. The heads are probably just
      really dirty. Also, the disk itself could have been compromised - some
      brands are more apt to start shedding oxide with age.

      True on all counts. I was just curious about whether we had another drive
      if next time I come up and I can't fix the problem, I can bring a spare
      drive if I have one. Hopefully you're right and a good cleaning will
      suffice, or a new disk. The disk in question is a copy of DOS 2.11 with a
      few scratched tracks, but not completely bare. I never had issues with
      these drives when I was working with the system myself, but I was mostly
      focused on the hardware and did not do much disk exercising other than
      format a disk in both drives.

      bd