Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: makeshift IBM monitor

    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009
      Joe Giliberti wrote:
      Thanks for the info, Bill
      Some more questions

      Does it matter whether I take video from the CGA port or the composite?
      only use a real cga monitor in the CGA port.  do not use the composite.

      So I could, if I wished, install an MFM hard drive/controller, or perhaps a hardcard. Correct?
      yes but this system did not come with a hard drive and would not be in the spirit of what it was originally.

      Also, due to the different ROM, will it support a full 640k, or the 544k from the first gen?

      full 640.  Should be at 640K now.
      Joe

      P.S. - Evan - the disk you gave me for the IBM at MARCH has some bare spots, the drive needs to be cleaned or replaced.    Do we have any replacement Tandon 100-2a drives at MARCH?

      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009
        > Evan - the disk you gave me for the IBM at MARCH has some bare spots,
        > the drive needs to be cleaned or replaced. Do we have any
        > replacement Tandon 100-2a drives at MARCH?
        I don't know.
      • Mr Ian Primus
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009

          > > Evan - the disk you gave me for
          > the IBM at MARCH has some bare spots,
          > > the drive needs to be cleaned or replaced.
          >   Do we have any
          > > replacement Tandon 100-2a drives at MARCH?
          > I don't know.

          The drive probably just needs a good cleaning. I've never seen a Tandon in an IBM fail so badly as to scrape up disks. The heads are probably just really dirty. Also, the disk itself could have been compromised - some brands are more apt to start shedding oxide with age.

          -Ian
        • Bill Degnan
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009