Revised museum exhibit plan

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2009
      Now that the springtime fun is behind us, MARCH's summer mission is to
      build more museum exhibits in time for VCF East.

      Here is my revised plan (remember the "titles" below are only for
      list-explaining purposes, so don't get too caught up in them!)

      Room 1 (the big room).
      >> Far end (where we currently have the micros) = pre-industrial
      computing (abacus, slide rule, Babbage, etc.)
      >> Middle = 1940s/1950s -- medium-sized exhibit of ENIAC, Univac,
      MOBIDIC, etc.
      >> Other end (minicomputers -- where they currently are -- meaning we
      don't have to move our heaviest stuff.)

      Room 2 (small room).
      >> Homebrew-era computing.

      Room 3 (small room).
      >> Appliance computing (1977 - 1984)

      Room 4 (small room).
      >> Open for rotating exhibits (random artifact of the month; members'
      cool things; minor exhibits of other topics such as portables / storage
      / OS / games / Grabbe / etc.)

      All of these exhibits will have some elbow room (not all stuff together
      like things are now) and all will have thorough signage. We'll also try
      to flesh out the exhibits with fuller systems, i.e. relevant manuals,
      peripherals, etc., not just raw computers like we have currently.

      I think this is a good plan that satisfies everyone -- it's not too
      micro-centric, not too bare of signs and accessories, not too crowded
      space-wise (and maybe more like the shipwreck museum where things are
      really spread out and the rooms generally feels more museum-like),
      covers most of history, leaves room for members' individual interests,
      makes the best use of MARCH's existing collection, etc.

      If anyone has any MAJOR objections, then raise them now (next day or
      two) .... otherwise the above outline represents our overall goal for
      the summer exhibit-building season.