RE: [midatlanticretro] TRS-80 Model II keyboard

  • Kelly D. Leavitt
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 1, 2009
      Capacitive Foam. YUCK.

      -----Original Message-----
      From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com on behalf of Mike Loewen
      Sent: Mon 6/1/2009 3:24 PM
      To: midatlanticretro
      Subject: [midatlanticretro] TRS-80 Model II keyboard

      I plan to disassemble and hopefully clean up my Model II keyboard
      tonight. Do any of you guys know what sort of key switch mechanism they
      used in these? Mechanical, capacitative, etc?

      Mike Loewen mloewen@... <mailto:mloewen%40cpumagic.scol.pa.us>
      Old Technology http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/ <http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/>
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 1, 2009
        On Mon, 1 Jun 2009, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:

        > Capacitive Foam. YUCK.

        Any tips or suggestions?
      • Bill Degnan
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 1, 2009
          Bob made a PS/2 adapter for the model II which may not be the route you
          wish to take, but it's an option.

          > On Mon, 1 Jun 2009, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:
          >
          > > Capacitive Foam. YUCK.

        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 1, 2009
            On Mon, 1 Jun 2009, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:

            > Capacitive Foam. YUCK.

            I'll second that. The Model II keyboard has to be the worst
            implementation I've ever seen. Not only does the foam pad disintegrate,
            but it takes with it the metallic coating on the underside of the plastic
            disc that presses against the circuit board. On my keyboard, a total
            of FIVE keys were still working.

            Based on the articles I've read about rebuilding capacitive keyboards,
            I think I can resurrect it. Unfortunately, I don't have the materials on
            hand. I'll see what I can dig up.

            On the positive side, the 8" CP/M 2.2 boot diskette I created using IMD
            worked perfectly. :-)

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          • Kelly D. Leavitt
            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 1, 2009

              Mike Loewen mloewen@cpumagic. scol.pa.us

              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 1, 2009
                I have a keyboard repair kit for a 16 around somewhere. If I can find it I'll take some pictures.

                Kelly

                On Mon, 1 Jun 2009, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:

                > Capacitive Foam. YUCK.

                I'll second that. The Model II keyboard has to be the worst
                implementation I've ever seen. Not only does the foam pad disintegrate,
                but it takes with it the metallic coating on the underside of the plastic
                disc that presses against the circuit board. On my keyboard, a total
                of FIVE keys were still working.

                Based on the articles I've read about rebuilding capacitive keyboards,
                I think I can resurrect it. Unfortunately, I don't have the materials on
                hand. I'll see what I can dig up.

                On the positive side, the 8" CP/M 2.2 boot diskette I created using IMD
                worked perfectly. :-)

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                _
              • Mike Loewen
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 9, 2009
                  On Mon, 1 Jun 2009, Mike Loewen wrote:

                  > Based on the articles I've read about rebuilding capacitive keyboards,
                  > I think I can resurrect it. Unfortunately, I don't have the materials on
                  > hand. I'll see what I can dig up.

                  Going by hints in this article about rebuilding Sol 20 keyboards:

                  http://www.solivant.com/sol20kbd/

                  ...I was 100% successful in rebuilding my Model II keyboard. I used a
                  7/16" hollow punch purchased in a set from Grizzly, a $3.00 Space Blanket
                  from WalMart, a strip of 3/16" Track Foam from the local hobby store and a
                  jar of Elmer's Rubber Cement. I used the punch to make 76 foam circles
                  (use a drill press or a mill), then glued them to the conductive side of a
                  sheet cut from the space blanket. I used the punch again to punch out the
                  combination of foam and mylar circle, then glued the old plastic discs
                  (after cleaning) to the back of the foam.

                  The foam is a little stiffer than the original, but is perfectly
                  usable and is not supposed to disintegrate. I think I can come up with a
                  quicker procedure, by gluing a strip of mylar to a strip of foam, and a
                  sheet of some sort of plastic document protector to the other side, and
                  using my hand-operated punch-and-die to punch out all three at a time.
                  Maybe we'll try it this weekend at VCW.

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                • Dan Roganti
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 10, 2009
                    Mike,

                    Save the old foam pieces from the keyboard , I like to compare them this wknd when I get there.

                    =Dan

                    Mike Loewen wrote:
[...]

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Mike Loewen
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 10, 2009
                      On Wed, 10 Jun 2009, Dan Roganti wrote:

                      > Save the old foam pieces from the keyboard , I like to compare them this
                      > wknd when I get there.

                      Oops...the vacuum ate it. :-) Seriously, what was left couldn't be
                      removed in one piece: it crumbled at the least touch.

                      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                    • Dan Roganti
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 10, 2009

                        Mike Loewen wrote:
                        On Wed, 10 Jun 2009, Dan Roganti wrote:

                        Save the old foam pieces from the keyboard , I like to compare them this
                        wknd when I get there.

                            Oops...the vacuum ate it.  :-)  Seriously, what was left couldn't be
                        removed in one piece: it crumbled at the least touch.

                        oh ok, I'm waiting til I get there to take mine apart - maybe there's some left in m ine that's till intact and we can compare the readings - I'll bring my Cap meter too.

                        =Dan

                      • Mike Loewen
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 10, 2009
                          On Wed, 10 Jun 2009, Dan Roganti wrote:

                          > Save the old foam pieces from the keyboard , I like to compare them this
                          > wknd when I get there.
                          >

                          >> Oops...the vacuum ate it. :-) Seriously, what was left couldn't be
                          >> removed in one piece: it crumbled at the least touch.
                          >

                          > oh ok, I'm waiting til I get there to take mine apart - maybe there's
                          > some left in m ine that's till intact and we can compare the readings -
                          > I'll bring my Cap meter too.

                          I still think you're on the wrong track with this foam thing.
                          According to my reading, the foam is not the dielectric, but the conformal
                          coating over the semicircular pads on the PCB. All you have to do is get
                          the mylar pad close enough to the PCB and you have a capacitance change.
                        • Dan Roganti
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 10, 2009

                            Mike Loewen wrote:
                            On Wed, 10 Jun 2009, Dan Roganti wrote:

                             Save the old foam pieces from the keyboard , I like to compare them this
                            wknd when I get there.

                             Oops...the vacuum ate it.  :-)  Seriously, what was left couldn't be
                            removed in one piece: it crumbled at the least touch.

                            oh ok, I'm waiting til I get there to take mine apart - maybe there's
                            some left in m ine that's till intact and we can compare the readings -
                            I'll bring my Cap meter too.

                                I still think you're on the wrong track with this foam thing.
                            According to my reading, the foam is not the dielectric, but the conformal
                            coating over the semicircular pads on the PCB.  All you have to do is get
                            the mylar pad close enough to the PCB and you have a capacitance change.

                            even air can act as the dielectric of a capacitor - remember the tuning caps in a old radio.

                            =Dan

                          • Kelly D. Leavitt
                            Message 13 of 29 , Aug 10, 2009

                              > Based on the articles I've read about rebuilding capacitive keyboards,
                              > I think I can resurrect it. Unfortunately, I don't have the materials on
                              > hand. I'll see what I can dig up.

                              Going by hints in this article about rebuilding Sol 20 keyboards:

                              http://www.solivant .com/sol20kbd/

                              ...I was 100% successful in rebuilding my Model II keyboard. I used a
                              7/16" hollow punch purchased in a set from Grizzly, a $3.00 Space Blanket
                              from WalMart, a strip of 3/16" Track Foam from the local hobby store and a
                              jar of Elmer's Rubber Cement. I used the punch to make 76 foam circles
                              (use a drill press or a mill), then glued them to the conductive side of a
                              sheet cut from the space blanket. I used the punch again to punch out the
                              combination of foam and mylar circle, then glued the old plastic discs
                              (after cleaning) to the back of the foam.

                              The foam is a little stiffer than the original, but is perfectly
                              usable and is not supposed to disintegrate. I think I can come up with a
                              quicker procedure, by gluing a strip of mylar to a strip of foam, and a
                              sheet of some sort of plastic document protector to the other side, and
                              using my hand-operated punch-and-die to punch out all three at a time.
                              Maybe we'll try it this weekend at VCW.

                              .

                            • Kelly D. Leavitt
                              Message 14 of 29 , Aug 10, 2009
                                Dang, I hate compures some days.

                                On Tuesday, June 09, 2009, Mike Loewen wrote:

                                >> Based on the articles I've read about rebuilding capacitive keyboards,
                                >> I think I can resurrect it. Unfortunately, I don't have the materials on
                                >> hand. I'll see what I can dig up.
                                >
                                > Going by hints in this article about rebuilding Sol 20 keyboards:
                                >
                                > http://www.solivant.com/sol20kbd/
                                >
                                > ...I was 100% successful in rebuilding my Model II keyboard. I used a
                                > 7/16" hollow punch purchased in a set from Grizzly, a $3.00 Space Blanket
                                > from WalMart, a strip of 3/16" Track Foam from the local hobby store and a
                                > jar of Elmer's Rubber Cement. I used the punch to make 76 foam circles
                                > (use a drill press or a mill), then glued them to the conductive side of a
                                > sheet cut from the space blanket. I used the punch again to punch out the
                                > combination of foam and mylar circle, then glued the old plastic discs
                                > (after cleaning) to the back of the foam.

                                Mike:
                                Any interest in making several hundred of these :-).

                                Seriously, out of the 8 model 16/12 keyboards I have, exactly 1 works. I'm hoping to get one more working for VCF, then sitting down and making a whole bunch of these. I don't have a drill press, but I can make them manually I guess.

                                Kelly
                              • Mike Loewen
                                Message 15 of 29 , Aug 11, 2009
                                  On Mon, 10 Aug 2009, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:

                                  > On Tuesday, June 09, 2009, Mike Loewen wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> ...I was 100% successful in rebuilding my Model II keyboard. I used a
                                  >> 7/16" hollow punch purchased in a set from Grizzly, a $3.00 Space Blanket
                                  >> from WalMart, a strip of 3/16" Track Foam from the local hobby store and a
                                  >> jar of Elmer's Rubber Cement. I used the punch to make 76 foam circles
                                  >> (use a drill press or a mill), then glued them to the conductive side of a
                                  >> sheet cut from the space blanket. I used the punch again to punch out the
                                  >> combination of foam and mylar circle, then glued the old plastic discs
                                  >> (after cleaning) to the back of the foam.
                                  >
                                  > Mike:
                                  > Any interest in making several hundred of these :-).
                                  >
                                  > Seriously, out of the 8 model 16/12 keyboards I have, exactly 1 works.
                                  > I'm hoping to get one more working for VCF, then sitting down and making
                                  > a whole bunch of these. I don't have a drill press, but I can make them
                                  > manually I guess.

                                  I think I have a better way of making them, by gluing the mylar to one
                                  side of the foam strip and a sheet of thin plastic (report cover) to the
                                  other side, then using a 7/16" hole punch to punch all three layers. The
                                  first batch I tried came out too wrinkly (the mylar layer) for my taste
                                  but a little experimentation should take care of that.

                                  That being said, I don't think I'll have time to get a batch made
                                  before VCF. If I get my exhibit project done, I'll see what I can do.

                                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                • Kelly D. Leavitt
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Aug 11, 2009
                                    >> I used a
                                    >> 7/16" hollow punch purchased in a set from Grizzly,
                                    Which punch set did you use, the $4 one or the $18 one? Based on the name, I'm guessing it was the $4 one.

                                    In case you can't recall, here is a link to the page listing the two punch sets:
                                    http://grizzly.com/products/Gasket-Punch-Set/H3329
                                  • Mike Loewen
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Aug 11, 2009
                                      On Tue, 11 Aug 2009, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:

                                      >>> I used a
                                      >>> 7/16" hollow punch purchased in a set from Grizzly,
                                      > Which punch set did you use, the $4 one or the $18 one? Based on the name, I'm guessing it was the $4 one.
                                      >
                                      > In case you can't recall, here is a link to the page listing the two punch sets:
                                      > http://grizzly.com/products/Gasket-Punch-Set/H3329

                                      It was the G9845 set ($3.95). The hand punch I'm using for the new
                                      procedure is this one (Ebay #360177115953). I normally use it for
                                      punching holes in aluminum panels.

                                      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                    • Kelly D. Leavitt
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Aug 11, 2009
                                        > The hand punch I'm using for the new
                                        > procedure is this one (Ebay #360177115953).
                                        That says it handles 14 AWG. I know that's the thickness of metal it can handle. That is no where near the thickness of the keyboard pads. Is the opening actually high enough for the 1/4" foam sandwich?

                                        Thanks,
                                        Kelly
                                      • Mike Loewen
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Aug 11, 2009
                                          On Tue, 11 Aug 2009, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:

                                          >> The hand punch I'm using for the new
                                          >> procedure is this one (Ebay #360177115953).
                                          > That says it handles 14 AWG. I know that's the thickness of metal it can
                                          > handle. That is no where near the thickness of the keyboard pads. Is the
                                          > opening actually high enough for the 1/4" foam sandwich?

                                          Easily. I've already tried it. The only problem with that punch is
                                          that it has a small point in the middle of the punch section, so you have
                                          to lay the sandwich face down so that resulting small hole is in the
                                          plastic piece, not the mylar face.

                                          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                        • Kelly D. Leavitt
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Aug 11, 2009
                                            Want to bring the punch to VCF? I'll bring a mylar/foam/plastic sandwich.

                                            Kelly
                                          • Mike Loewen
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Aug 11, 2009
                                              On Tue, 11 Aug 2009, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:

                                              > Want to bring the punch to VCF? I'll bring a mylar/foam/plastic sandwich.

                                              Can do.

                                              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                            • Mike Loewen
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Aug 11, 2009
                                                On Tue, 11 Aug 2009, Mike Loewen wrote:

                                                > On Tue, 11 Aug 2009, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:
                                                >
                                                >> Want to bring the punch to VCF? I'll bring a mylar/foam/plastic sandwich.
                                                >
                                                > Can do.

                                                One thing - you mentioned 1/4" in a previous post: I used 3/16" foam.
                                                I think 1/4" would be too thick, and might lead to spurious keystrokes.

                                                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                              • evan@snarc.net
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Aug 11, 2009
                                                  >>> I'll bring a mylar/foam/plastic sandwich.

                                                  Now we know how you lost so much weight last year! :)
                                                • Win Heagy
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Aug 1, 2011
                                                    Since this thread, has anyone found a source of pre-made capacitive foam keyboard inserts? I have a Sol 20 that I'm rebuilding and the keyboard is shot. I saw the page showing how to make them, just wondering if anyone knows of a source of pre-made pads?

                                                    Thanks,

                                                    Win

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Aug 3, 2011
                                                      I have seen kits on Ebay from time to time, none recently. $60 each
                                                      or something like that.
                                                      Bill

                                                      At 09:01 PM 8/1/2011, you wrote:
                                                      >Since this thread, has anyone found a source of pre-made capacitive
                                                      >foam keyboard inserts? I have a Sol 20 that I'm rebuilding and the
                                                      >keyboard is shot. I saw the page showing how to make them, just
                                                      >wondering if anyone knows of a source of pre-made pads?
                                                      >
                                                      >Thanks,
                                                      >
                                                      >Win
                                                      >
                                                      >--- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Kelly D. Leavitt" <kelly@...> wrote:
                                                      > >
                                                      > > > The hand punch I'm using for the new
                                                      > > > procedure is this one (Ebay #360177115953).
                                                      > > That says it handles 14 AWG. I know that's the thickness of metal
                                                      > it can handle. That is no where near the thickness of the keyboard
                                                      > pads. Is the opening actually high enough for the 1/4" foam sandwich?
                                                      > >
                                                      > > Thanks,
                                                      > > Kelly

                                                    • jack99rubin
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Aug 5, 2011
                                                        Check with Erik Klein - Vintage Computer Forum - he's been selling kits of the inserts occasionally.

                                                        Jack