Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: makeshift IBM monitor

    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009

      > Evan, I'm available most evenings after 8pm. I think you have my cell phone #, if not, email my home e-mail and I'll send you that and my address..

      Brian, can we meet at the mall (or some other central location) like we
      did when you retrieved Chris' bag?
    • Bill Degnan
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
        Remember when you work with the manual not to confuse the directions and
        settings for the 16K-64K board and the 64K-640K board. They're both in the
        manual. I have more info on my web site, vintagecomputer.net/ibm. Also
        search the blog for various notes and pictures about this model. I have
        restored three of these models in the past 12 months.

        Usually what kills them is the monitor card, usually if you replace the
        card the system comes back to life. The other likely thing to go wrong is
        RAM. I can teach you some tricks to locating the bad RAM and replacing.

        Bill

        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
          Evan, I'm available most evenings after 8pm. I think you have my cell phone #, if not, email my home e-mail and I'll send you that and my address..

          Brian, can we meet at the mall (or some other central location) like we
          did when you retrieved Chris' bag?

          Sorry to bog down the list in details.  I meant to reply to Brian off-list.
        • Joe Giliberti
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
            Here's as much info as I can pull off the mainboard

            Machine Serial:
            0177038

            On the planar:

            SW1
            on on on on off on on off

            SW2
            on off on on off off off off

            U28
            Empty Socket

            U29
            MK35748 J
            5700019
            ZA
            (copyright) IBM 1981
            D Malaysia
            8135 Q

            U30
            5700027
            (copyright) IBM 1981
            XE
            (motorola symbol) 8201BNM

            U31
            (motorola symbol) 5700035
            (copyright) IBM 1981
            XE8135ANM

            U32
            MK36728 P
            5700043
            ZA
            (copyright) IBM 1981
            D Malaysia
            8142 D

            U33
            MK36C35N-4
            1501476
            ZA
            (copyright) IBM CORP
            1981, 1983
            D Malaysia

            U34
            (not socketed)
            NEC
            PIY229-147
            D8253C-5

            Has a total of 36 of what I believe to be memory chips. Nine are soldered direct to the board, the remaining 27 are socketed
            The chips are marked:

            (AMD symbol) AM9016DPC
            8144WPP

            All 36 are the same chips

            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
              U33
              MK36C35N-4
              1501476
              ZA
              (copyright) IBM CORP
              1981, 1983
              D Malaysia

              Tells you it's a 2nd REV16K-64K (upgraded) ROM set.  The first rev did not have a routine for using hard drives, and some other things so most people upgraded the ROMS so they could use newer parts and memory.

              Here's as much info as I can pull off the mainboard

              Machine Serial:
              0177038
              this year I worked on the following other 16-64K boards, so yours is right in there among them, definitely an original, probably from late 1981 early 1983.:

              0159618
              0239462
              0192592 (MARCH's with original ROMS)

              On the planar:

              SW1
              on on on on off on on off

              SW2
              on off on on off off off off

              you have a full complement of RAM (64K) on the motherboard.

              I assume you have SW1 reversed.  Up means "on" if facing from the front looking down.
              If you have a co-processor, two drives, CGA monitor then SW1 should be: [off on -- -- on off off on] (where pertains to RAM).

              If SW1's 5 is up and 6 down  - that means CGA display.  Monochrome 5 and 6 are down.  Never mix and match without first changing the switches before powering on.  Otherwise you will fry the board and short the system.

              Math co-processor 2 = up/on.

              In a nutshell it looks like you have a standard configuration, no changes needed assuming you use a CGA monitor.  Don't try to use monochrome with these settings.  Someone did that to MARCH's 5150, and we had to replace the display card as a result.

              Hope this helps.

              Bill

            • Joe Giliberti
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
                Thanks for the info, Bill
                Some more questions

                Does it matter whether I take video from the CGA port or the composite?
                So I could, if I wished, install an MFM hard drive/controller, or perhaps a hardcard. Correct?
                Also, due to the different ROM, will it support a full 640k, or the 544k from the first gen?

                Joe

                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009
                  Joe Giliberti wrote:
                  Thanks for the info, Bill
                  Some more questions

                  Does it matter whether I take video from the CGA port or the composite?
                  only use a real cga monitor in the CGA port.  do not use the composite.

                  So I could, if I wished, install an MFM hard drive/controller, or perhaps a hardcard. Correct?
                  yes but this system did not come with a hard drive and would not be in the spirit of what it was originally.

                  Also, due to the different ROM, will it support a full 640k, or the 544k from the first gen?

                  full 640.  Should be at 640K now.
                  Joe

                  P.S. - Evan - the disk you gave me for the IBM at MARCH has some bare spots, the drive needs to be cleaned or replaced.    Do we have any replacement Tandon 100-2a drives at MARCH?

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009
                    > Evan - the disk you gave me for the IBM at MARCH has some bare spots,
                    > the drive needs to be cleaned or replaced. Do we have any
                    > replacement Tandon 100-2a drives at MARCH?
                    I don't know.
                  • Mr Ian Primus
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009

                      > > Evan - the disk you gave me for
                      > the IBM at MARCH has some bare spots,
                      > > the drive needs to be cleaned or replaced.
                      >   Do we have any
                      > > replacement Tandon 100-2a drives at MARCH?
                      > I don't know.

                      The drive probably just needs a good cleaning. I've never seen a Tandon in an IBM fail so badly as to scrape up disks. The heads are probably just really dirty. Also, the disk itself could have been compromised - some brands are more apt to start shedding oxide with age.

                      -Ian
                    • Bill Degnan
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009