Re: makeshift IBM monitor

  • Brian Cirulnick
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009

      > The original CGA card has RCA plugs on it, and if I remember correctly, it should be composite video. But, I do believe that the composite video output does not support all video modes that the CGA card can do. Your best bet is to find a real monitor...
      ------------------------------

      Which I have.

      Joe, I'm fairly certian (I'm at work right now and can't confirm) that I have an IBM manufactured CGA monitor (it's either color or monochrome) that's somewhat period correct.

      I need to test if it works, but it's yours if you want it. Then all you need to find is the correct keyboard for a complete system.

      Not sure where you live, but I'm in Belleville NJ, if you're willing to take a drive to my place one evening, you can pick it up.

      Either that, or wait for the next MARCH event, and I'll toss it your way then (keep reminding me, I forget easily).

      Let me know what you'd prefer.

      TTYL
      Brian C.
    • Joe Giliberti
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
        Thank you!
        I think the next time at infoage is best, as I am 70 miles south of you, but I'll see if I feel like taking the drive someday.

        Thanks again
        Joe

        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009

          > Not sure where you live, but I'm in Belleville NJ, if you're willing to take a drive to my place one evening, you can pick it up.
          >
          > Either that, or wait for the next MARCH event, and I'll toss it your way then (keep reminding me, I forget easily).
          >
          > Let me know what you'd prefer.
          >
          > TTYL
          > Brian C.

          Brian, why don't I get the monitor from you, then I'll bring it to the
          museum. Joe lives close the museum and often comes there on weekends.
        • Bill Degnan
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
            Joe,
            Do you have a copy of the technical reference manual? If not I can copy
            and scan the important pages. In the mean time can you take a picture of
            the motherboard switches, and RAM? If not easy to do, can you just tell me
            whether there are open RAM slots and what the switches are set to? I am
            guessing it's a 64K + 512K with the QuadRAM card = 640K. With this you
            could do almost anything. Lastly, what are the markings on the ROM chips
            in U33? That will tell me if it has an upgraded ROM or the original. I am
            going to guess that it's been upgraded.

            I don't off hand know the voltages. The 8087 coprocessor is next to the
            processor near the power connector.

            Thanks
            Bill

            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
              I downloaded a PDF copy of the technical manual last night. I'm guessing the onboard RAM are the 27 or so small chips near the front visible corner of the board? I'll get all relevant information you asked for, including switch positions, and get back to you.
              Joe

            • Brian Cirulnick
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009

                > > Not sure where you live, but I'm in Belleville NJ, if you're willing to take a drive to my place one evening, you can pick it up.
                > >

                > Brian, why don't I get the monitor from you, then I'll bring it to the
                > museum. Joe lives close the museum and often comes there on weekends.

                -------------------

                Sure, we can arrange that. Let me just test that it works (I have an old Epson PC clone that uses CGA), and then I'll leave it in my kitchen so it's reminding me to call you to come get it...

                Now if only I hadn't thrown out all those keyboards 7 years ago. (You guys would cry hearing about all I had to throw out when I closed my business in 2002)...

                Ah well.

                Anyhow; Evan, I'm available most evenings after 8pm. I think you have my cell phone #, if not, email my home e-mail and I'll send you that and my address..
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009

                  > Evan, I'm available most evenings after 8pm. I think you have my cell phone #, if not, email my home e-mail and I'll send you that and my address..

                  Brian, can we meet at the mall (or some other central location) like we
                  did when you retrieved Chris' bag?
                • Bill Degnan
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
                    Remember when you work with the manual not to confuse the directions and
                    settings for the 16K-64K board and the 64K-640K board. They're both in the
                    manual. I have more info on my web site, vintagecomputer.net/ibm. Also
                    search the blog for various notes and pictures about this model. I have
                    restored three of these models in the past 12 months.

                    Usually what kills them is the monitor card, usually if you replace the
                    card the system comes back to life. The other likely thing to go wrong is
                    RAM. I can teach you some tricks to locating the bad RAM and replacing.

                    Bill

                    > I downloaded a PDF copy of the technical manual last night. I'm guessing
                    the
                    > onboard RAM are the 27 or so small chips near the front visible corner
                    of
                    > the board? I'll get all relevant information you asked for, including
                    switch
                    > positions, and get back to you.
                    > Joe
                    >
                    > On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Bill Degnan <billdeg@...>
                    wrote:

                    > > Joe,
                    > > Do you have a copy of the technical reference manual? If not I can
                    copy
                    > > and scan the important pages. In the mean time can you take a picture
                    of
                    > > the motherboard switches, and RAM? If not easy to do, can you just tell
                    me
                    > > whether there are open RAM slots and what the switches are set to? I
                    am
                    > > guessing it's a 64K + 512K with the QuadRAM card = 640K. With this you
                    > > could do almost anything. Lastly, what are the markings on the ROM
                    chips
                    > > in U33? That will tell me if it has an upgraded ROM or the original. I
                    am
                    > > going to guess that it's been upgraded.
                    > >
                    > > I don't off hand know the voltages. The 8087 coprocessor is next to
                    the
                    > > processor near the power connector.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks
                    > > Bill

                    <Starbase89%40gmail.com>>

                    <billdeg@...<billdeg%40degnanco.com>>

                    > > rare
                    > > perform
                    > >
                    > > of
                    > > return
                    > > power

                    <Starbase89%40gmail.com><Starbase89%40gmail.com>>

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
                      Evan, I'm available most evenings after 8pm. I think you have my cell phone #, if not, email my home e-mail and I'll send you that and my address..

                      Brian, can we meet at the mall (or some other central location) like we
                      did when you retrieved Chris' bag?

                      Sorry to bog down the list in details.  I meant to reply to Brian off-list.
                    • Joe Giliberti
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
                        Here's as much info as I can pull off the mainboard

                        Machine Serial:
                        0177038

                        On the planar:

                        SW1
                        on on on on off on on off

                        SW2
                        on off on on off off off off

                        U28
                        Empty Socket

                        U29
                        MK35748 J
                        5700019
                        ZA
                        (copyright) IBM 1981
                        D Malaysia
                        8135 Q

                        U30
                        5700027
                        (copyright) IBM 1981
                        XE
                        (motorola symbol) 8201BNM

                        U31
                        (motorola symbol) 5700035
                        (copyright) IBM 1981
                        XE8135ANM

                        U32
                        MK36728 P
                        5700043
                        ZA
                        (copyright) IBM 1981
                        D Malaysia
                        8142 D

                        U33
                        MK36C35N-4
                        1501476
                        ZA
                        (copyright) IBM CORP
                        1981, 1983
                        D Malaysia

                        U34
                        (not socketed)
                        NEC
                        PIY229-147
                        D8253C-5

                        Has a total of 36 of what I believe to be memory chips. Nine are soldered direct to the board, the remaining 27 are socketed
                        The chips are marked:

                        (AMD symbol) AM9016DPC
                        8144WPP

                        All 36 are the same chips

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
                          U33
                          MK36C35N-4
                          1501476
                          ZA
                          (copyright) IBM CORP
                          1981, 1983
                          D Malaysia

                          Tells you it's a 2nd REV16K-64K (upgraded) ROM set.  The first rev did not have a routine for using hard drives, and some other things so most people upgraded the ROMS so they could use newer parts and memory.

                          Here's as much info as I can pull off the mainboard

                          Machine Serial:
                          0177038
                          this year I worked on the following other 16-64K boards, so yours is right in there among them, definitely an original, probably from late 1981 early 1983.:

                          0159618
                          0239462
                          0192592 (MARCH's with original ROMS)

                          On the planar:

                          SW1
                          on on on on off on on off

                          SW2
                          on off on on off off off off

                          you have a full complement of RAM (64K) on the motherboard.

                          I assume you have SW1 reversed.  Up means "on" if facing from the front looking down.
                          If you have a co-processor, two drives, CGA monitor then SW1 should be: [off on -- -- on off off on] (where pertains to RAM).

                          If SW1's 5 is up and 6 down  - that means CGA display.  Monochrome 5 and 6 are down.  Never mix and match without first changing the switches before powering on.  Otherwise you will fry the board and short the system.

                          Math co-processor 2 = up/on.

                          In a nutshell it looks like you have a standard configuration, no changes needed assuming you use a CGA monitor.  Don't try to use monochrome with these settings.  Someone did that to MARCH's 5150, and we had to replace the display card as a result.

                          Hope this helps.

                          Bill

                        • Joe Giliberti
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
                            Thanks for the info, Bill
                            Some more questions

                            Does it matter whether I take video from the CGA port or the composite?
                            So I could, if I wished, install an MFM hard drive/controller, or perhaps a hardcard. Correct?
                            Also, due to the different ROM, will it support a full 640k, or the 544k from the first gen?

                            Joe

                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009
                              Joe Giliberti wrote:
                              Thanks for the info, Bill
                              Some more questions

                              Does it matter whether I take video from the CGA port or the composite?
                              only use a real cga monitor in the CGA port.  do not use the composite.

                              So I could, if I wished, install an MFM hard drive/controller, or perhaps a hardcard. Correct?
                              yes but this system did not come with a hard drive and would not be in the spirit of what it was originally.

                              Also, due to the different ROM, will it support a full 640k, or the 544k from the first gen?

                              full 640.  Should be at 640K now.
                              Joe

                              P.S. - Evan - the disk you gave me for the IBM at MARCH has some bare spots, the drive needs to be cleaned or replaced.    Do we have any replacement Tandon 100-2a drives at MARCH?

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009
                                > Evan - the disk you gave me for the IBM at MARCH has some bare spots,
                                > the drive needs to be cleaned or replaced. Do we have any
                                > replacement Tandon 100-2a drives at MARCH?
                                I don't know.
                              • Mr Ian Primus
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009

                                  > > Evan - the disk you gave me for
                                  > the IBM at MARCH has some bare spots,
                                  > > the drive needs to be cleaned or replaced.
                                  >   Do we have any
                                  > > replacement Tandon 100-2a drives at MARCH?
                                  > I don't know.

                                  The drive probably just needs a good cleaning. I've never seen a Tandon in an IBM fail so badly as to scrape up disks. The heads are probably just really dirty. Also, the disk itself could have been compromised - some brands are more apt to start shedding oxide with age.

                                  -Ian
                                • Bill Degnan
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009