Re: [midatlanticretro] makeshift IBM monitor

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
      All I've done thus far is apply power to the power supply (which is original). What are the voltages supposed to be going into the mainboard? I want to check with a multimeter before hooking it to the motherboard.  It appears to have the co-processor installed. I do plan on doing a methodological, slow restore on it.

      Aside from resocketing chips and removing dust, what is the procedure for checking the motherboard?

      Joe

      On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Bill Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

      May I add that this is quite a lucky find, you may never get such a rare
      system in the trash ever again, you take this as an opportunity to perform
      a serious restoration/save. Learn about what you have and make the most of
      the experience. Don't try to hook this up to the Internet, try to return
      the computer to original condition. Don't power this up until you're
      confident you have tested the power, removed all cards and unhooked power
      to the motherboard, etc.
      Bill

      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009

        > The original CGA card has RCA plugs on it, and if I remember correctly, it should be composite video. But, I do believe that the composite video output does not support all video modes that the CGA card can do. Your best bet is to find a real monitor...
        ------------------------------

        Which I have.

        Joe, I'm fairly certian (I'm at work right now and can't confirm) that I have an IBM manufactured CGA monitor (it's either color or monochrome) that's somewhat period correct.

        I need to test if it works, but it's yours if you want it. Then all you need to find is the correct keyboard for a complete system.

        Not sure where you live, but I'm in Belleville NJ, if you're willing to take a drive to my place one evening, you can pick it up.

        Either that, or wait for the next MARCH event, and I'll toss it your way then (keep reminding me, I forget easily).

        Let me know what you'd prefer.

        TTYL
        Brian C.
      • Joe Giliberti
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
          Thank you!
          I think the next time at infoage is best, as I am 70 miles south of you, but I'll see if I feel like taking the drive someday.

          Thanks again
          Joe

          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009

            > Not sure where you live, but I'm in Belleville NJ, if you're willing to take a drive to my place one evening, you can pick it up.
            >
            > Either that, or wait for the next MARCH event, and I'll toss it your way then (keep reminding me, I forget easily).
            >
            > Let me know what you'd prefer.
            >
            > TTYL
            > Brian C.

            Brian, why don't I get the monitor from you, then I'll bring it to the
            museum. Joe lives close the museum and often comes there on weekends.
          • Bill Degnan
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
              Joe,
              Do you have a copy of the technical reference manual? If not I can copy
              and scan the important pages. In the mean time can you take a picture of
              the motherboard switches, and RAM? If not easy to do, can you just tell me
              whether there are open RAM slots and what the switches are set to? I am
              guessing it's a 64K + 512K with the QuadRAM card = 640K. With this you
              could do almost anything. Lastly, what are the markings on the ROM chips
              in U33? That will tell me if it has an upgraded ROM or the original. I am
              going to guess that it's been upgraded.

              I don't off hand know the voltages. The 8087 coprocessor is next to the
              processor near the power connector.

              Thanks
              Bill

              > All I've done thus far is apply power to the power supply (which is
              > original). What are the voltages supposed to be going into the mainboard?
              > want to check with a multimeter before hooking it to the motherboard.
              It
              > appears to have the co-processor installed. I do plan on doing a
              > methodological, slow restore on it.
              >
              > Aside from resocketing chips and removing dust, what is the procedure
              for
              > checking the motherboard?
              >
              > Joe
              >

              > On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Bill Degnan <billdeg@...>
              wrote:

              > > May I add that this is quite a lucky find, you may never get such a
              rare
              > > system in the trash ever again, you take this as an opportunity to
              perform
              > > a serious restoration/save. Learn about what you have and make the most
              of
              > > the experience. Don't try to hook this up to the Internet, try to
              return
              > > the computer to original condition. Don't power this up until you're
              > > confident you have tested the power, removed all cards and unhooked
              power
              > > to the motherboard, etc.
              > > Bill

              <ian_primus%40yahoo.com>>
              midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com<midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>

              <Starbase89@...<Starbase89%40gmail.com>>

              > > >random AT keyboard, as I do not have a model M
              > > >
              > > > An AT keyboard will not work on this machine. You need an XT
              keyboard.
              > > The plugs are the same, but the protocol is different. Some early AT
              > > keyboards also have a switch (sometimes hidden behind a little panel in
              th
              > > bottom) to switch between AT and XT modes.
              > > >
              > > > The original CGA card has RCA plugs on it, and if I remember
              correctly,
              > > it should be composite video. But, I do believe that the composite
              video
              > > output does not support all video modes that the CGA card can do. Your
              best

              > > bet is to find a real monitor...
              > > >
              > > > You can't connect the CGA card to a VGA monitor, but you CAN use
              (with
              > > limited color palette), an analog RGB monitor, such as the ones used on
              the

              > > Commodore Amiga. CGA is a digital RGB, and uses an intensity line. The
              > > analog monitors will display the digital signal, but can't use the
              > > intensity line - so all the "light" colors come out as the same color
              as
              > > their "bright" counterparts. It's usable though.
              > > >
              > > > -Ian

            • Joe Giliberti
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
                I downloaded a PDF copy of the technical manual last night. I'm guessing the onboard RAM are the 27 or so small chips near the front visible corner of the board? I'll get all relevant information you asked for, including switch positions, and get back to you.
                Joe

              • Brian Cirulnick
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009

                  > > Not sure where you live, but I'm in Belleville NJ, if you're willing to take a drive to my place one evening, you can pick it up.
                  > >

                  > Brian, why don't I get the monitor from you, then I'll bring it to the
                  > museum. Joe lives close the museum and often comes there on weekends.

                  -------------------

                  Sure, we can arrange that. Let me just test that it works (I have an old Epson PC clone that uses CGA), and then I'll leave it in my kitchen so it's reminding me to call you to come get it...

                  Now if only I hadn't thrown out all those keyboards 7 years ago. (You guys would cry hearing about all I had to throw out when I closed my business in 2002)...

                  Ah well.

                  Anyhow; Evan, I'm available most evenings after 8pm. I think you have my cell phone #, if not, email my home e-mail and I'll send you that and my address..
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009

                    > Evan, I'm available most evenings after 8pm. I think you have my cell phone #, if not, email my home e-mail and I'll send you that and my address..

                    Brian, can we meet at the mall (or some other central location) like we
                    did when you retrieved Chris' bag?
                  • Bill Degnan
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
                      Remember when you work with the manual not to confuse the directions and
                      settings for the 16K-64K board and the 64K-640K board. They're both in the
                      manual. I have more info on my web site, vintagecomputer.net/ibm. Also
                      search the blog for various notes and pictures about this model. I have
                      restored three of these models in the past 12 months.

                      Usually what kills them is the monitor card, usually if you replace the
                      card the system comes back to life. The other likely thing to go wrong is
                      RAM. I can teach you some tricks to locating the bad RAM and replacing.

                      Bill

                      > I downloaded a PDF copy of the technical manual last night. I'm guessing
                      the
                      > onboard RAM are the 27 or so small chips near the front visible corner
                      of
                      > the board? I'll get all relevant information you asked for, including
                      switch
                      > positions, and get back to you.
                      > Joe
                      >
                      > On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Bill Degnan <billdeg@...>
                      wrote:

                      > > Joe,
                      > > Do you have a copy of the technical reference manual? If not I can
                      copy
                      > > and scan the important pages. In the mean time can you take a picture
                      of
                      > > the motherboard switches, and RAM? If not easy to do, can you just tell
                      me
                      > > whether there are open RAM slots and what the switches are set to? I
                      am
                      > > guessing it's a 64K + 512K with the QuadRAM card = 640K. With this you
                      > > could do almost anything. Lastly, what are the markings on the ROM
                      chips
                      > > in U33? That will tell me if it has an upgraded ROM or the original. I
                      am
                      > > going to guess that it's been upgraded.
                      > >
                      > > I don't off hand know the voltages. The 8087 coprocessor is next to
                      the
                      > > processor near the power connector.
                      > >
                      > > Thanks
                      > > Bill

                      <Starbase89%40gmail.com>>

                      <billdeg@...<billdeg%40degnanco.com>>

                      > > rare
                      > > perform
                      > >
                      > > of
                      > > return
                      > > power

                      <ian_primus%40yahoo.com>
                      > > <ian_primus%40yahoo.com>>
                      > > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com <midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > > <midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>

                      > > <Starbase89@...
                      <Starbase89%40gmail.com><Starbase89%40gmail.com>>

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
                        Evan, I'm available most evenings after 8pm. I think you have my cell phone #, if not, email my home e-mail and I'll send you that and my address..

                        Brian, can we meet at the mall (or some other central location) like we
                        did when you retrieved Chris' bag?

                        Sorry to bog down the list in details.  I meant to reply to Brian off-list.
                      • Joe Giliberti
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
                          Here's as much info as I can pull off the mainboard

                          Machine Serial:
                          0177038

                          On the planar:

                          SW1
                          on on on on off on on off

                          SW2
                          on off on on off off off off

                          U28
                          Empty Socket

                          U29
                          MK35748 J
                          5700019
                          ZA
                          (copyright) IBM 1981
                          D Malaysia
                          8135 Q

                          U30
                          5700027
                          (copyright) IBM 1981
                          XE
                          (motorola symbol) 8201BNM

                          U31
                          (motorola symbol) 5700035
                          (copyright) IBM 1981
                          XE8135ANM

                          U32
                          MK36728 P
                          5700043
                          ZA
                          (copyright) IBM 1981
                          D Malaysia
                          8142 D

                          U33
                          MK36C35N-4
                          1501476
                          ZA
                          (copyright) IBM CORP
                          1981, 1983
                          D Malaysia

                          U34
                          (not socketed)
                          NEC
                          PIY229-147
                          D8253C-5

                          Has a total of 36 of what I believe to be memory chips. Nine are soldered direct to the board, the remaining 27 are socketed
                          The chips are marked:

                          (AMD symbol) AM9016DPC
                          8144WPP

                          All 36 are the same chips

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
                            U33
                            MK36C35N-4
                            1501476
                            ZA
                            (copyright) IBM CORP
                            1981, 1983
                            D Malaysia

                            Tells you it's a 2nd REV16K-64K (upgraded) ROM set.  The first rev did not have a routine for using hard drives, and some other things so most people upgraded the ROMS so they could use newer parts and memory.

                            Here's as much info as I can pull off the mainboard

                            Machine Serial:
                            0177038
                            this year I worked on the following other 16-64K boards, so yours is right in there among them, definitely an original, probably from late 1981 early 1983.:

                            0159618
                            0239462
                            0192592 (MARCH's with original ROMS)

                            On the planar:

                            SW1
                            on on on on off on on off

                            SW2
                            on off on on off off off off

                            you have a full complement of RAM (64K) on the motherboard.

                            I assume you have SW1 reversed.  Up means "on" if facing from the front looking down.
                            If you have a co-processor, two drives, CGA monitor then SW1 should be: [off on -- -- on off off on] (where pertains to RAM).

                            If SW1's 5 is up and 6 down  - that means CGA display.  Monochrome 5 and 6 are down.  Never mix and match without first changing the switches before powering on.  Otherwise you will fry the board and short the system.

                            Math co-processor 2 = up/on.

                            In a nutshell it looks like you have a standard configuration, no changes needed assuming you use a CGA monitor.  Don't try to use monochrome with these settings.  Someone did that to MARCH's 5150, and we had to replace the display card as a result.

                            Hope this helps.

                            Bill

                          • Joe Giliberti
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
                              Thanks for the info, Bill
                              Some more questions

                              Does it matter whether I take video from the CGA port or the composite?
                              So I could, if I wished, install an MFM hard drive/controller, or perhaps a hardcard. Correct?
                              Also, due to the different ROM, will it support a full 640k, or the 544k from the first gen?

                              Joe

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009
                                Joe Giliberti wrote:
                                Thanks for the info, Bill
                                Some more questions

                                Does it matter whether I take video from the CGA port or the composite?
                                only use a real cga monitor in the CGA port.  do not use the composite.

                                So I could, if I wished, install an MFM hard drive/controller, or perhaps a hardcard. Correct?
                                yes but this system did not come with a hard drive and would not be in the spirit of what it was originally.

                                Also, due to the different ROM, will it support a full 640k, or the 544k from the first gen?

                                full 640.  Should be at 640K now.
                                Joe

                                P.S. - Evan - the disk you gave me for the IBM at MARCH has some bare spots, the drive needs to be cleaned or replaced.    Do we have any replacement Tandon 100-2a drives at MARCH?

                                Message 15 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009
                                  > Evan - the disk you gave me for the IBM at MARCH has some bare spots,
                                  > the drive needs to be cleaned or replaced. Do we have any
                                  > replacement Tandon 100-2a drives at MARCH?
                                  I don't know.
                                • Mr Ian Primus
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009

                                    > > Evan - the disk you gave me for
                                    > the IBM at MARCH has some bare spots,
                                    > > the drive needs to be cleaned or replaced.
                                    >   Do we have any
                                    > > replacement Tandon 100-2a drives at MARCH?
                                    > I don't know.

                                    The drive probably just needs a good cleaning. I've never seen a Tandon in an IBM fail so badly as to scrape up disks. The heads are probably just really dirty. Also, the disk itself could have been compromised - some brands are more apt to start shedding oxide with age.

                                    -Ian
                                  • Bill Degnan
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009